Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a company that says it makes 50 changes a week to their current production cars, what are the chances that they aren’t going to be making a lot of last-minutes changes with the M3, and that those changes are also one of the reasons for the delay.
Let's also remember that Elon once said that if they waited to go into production until all improvements and changes were made, they'd never make any cars. At some point they'll need to get on with it, produce an awesome car; knowing that improvements will never stop, and that their products will never cease to evolve towards perfection. And as that perfection is reached, all it will take is another day for something newer and better to replace it.

First outside-of-Tesla/SpaceX-employee configurations should start soon. The only options to choose are wheels, color, and Autopilot/FSD. No need for a configurator, just locking in orders.
I keep seeing this sentiment, but really: Tesla/SpaceX have ~39,000 employees, and any of them who've ordered the configurations currently available will get them before the general public. Do we really believe T/S employees have only ordered ~1000 of these cars?

I keep seeing this sentiment, but really: Tesla/SpaceX have ~39,000 employees, and any of them who've ordered the configurations currently available will get them before the general public. Do we really believe T/S employees have only ordered ~1000 of these cars?
Yes I do. Remember the D not available yet as is the smaller battery option. I suspect 1000 taking the current configuration about right

Reactions: austinEV
I am pretty sure this does not apply to Model 3 when it is in the initial ramp up phase.

Why not? In fact, the recent blog post by their former VP explicitly calls out the benefit of insourcing as a means to get rapid turnover during the launch of a new product

Greg Reichow said:
Launching a new product presents a team with thousands of small decisions. If you choose to outsource a component, you often need to send people to live in the factory for a prolonged period of time. This means accepting that it’s going to be harder to make choices and to influence outcomes.

Greg Reichow said:
Start by building the product with your own small manufacturing operation, ideally in the same building as your engineers, designers, and product teams. Use this pilot line to learn quickly, iterate, and develop an understanding of what it takes to build your product.

To me this sounds like rapid evolution is important right from the very first car you manufacture.

• Funny
Reactions: MitchJi and Lessmog
First outside-of-Tesla/SpaceX-employee configurations should start soon. The only options to choose are wheels, color, and Autopilot/FSD. No need for a configurator, just locking in orders.
I know this comes from Elon on Twitter, but it seems weird to me. Is the implication that they can not finish the web programing to build the Configurator page? Why wouldn't they just release a configurator that let customers pick, color, wheels, self driving? It seems like it is just a web page, and they can put whatever information they want on it. I don't get it, but I suspect it boils down to customer deliveries in Oct are a total fantasy. The only other explanation, that I always hope for, but never happens, is that the whole discussion is part of an elaborate trap they are setting for short sellers.;)

This exact thing has been puzzling for me for a while as well.

Let's do some math. Why don't we assume that 75% of the employees are even interested in the car. That would make it 29,250. Now let's make an assumption that half of those interested are currently willing and able to buy the car. Now we are at 14,625. And now consider that maybe half of those who are interested, and willing and able to purchase, are interested in the long range, single motor configuration. That would be 7,312.

And I'm likely being quite generous on the number who are willing and able to buy right now. Not everyone at Tesla makes 6 figures, you know.

Reactions: D-egg-O
Why not? In fact, the recent blog post by their former VP explicitly calls out the benefit of insourcing as a means to get rapid turnover during the launch of a new product

To me this sounds like rapid evolution is important right from the very first car you manufacture.

To me he was talking about pilot production of components. I believe that at this time M3 design is locked out and there is moratorium on any changes until they reach steady state production post the ramp.

No, it's just a play on the imbalance market. And yes, contracts are awarded in minutes at a time. For now, storage in itself is the least interesting proposition for grid scale battery storage (capacity is just too low to matter except in rare circumstances like islands). It's all about the ability to soak up and deliver power instantaneously. Wind is good in soaking up capacity (just turn the blades), but obviously not good at all at providing instant power. Batteries fix that part of the equation. Natural pairing right there.

This is mostly not true. I will have to take a rain check explaining why as it will take more time that I currently have...

Let's do some math. Why don't we assume that 75% of the employees are even interested in the car. That would make it 29,250. Now let's make an assumption that half of those interested are currently willing and able to buy the car. Now we are at 14,625. And now consider that maybe half of those who are interested, and willing and able to purchase, are interested in the long range, single motor configuration. That would be 7,312.

And I'm likely being quite generous on the number who are willing and able to buy right now. Not everyone at Tesla makes 6 figures, you know.

Don't forget those Tesla employees who are oversees.

Remember that only the $49,000 version of the car is available. Plenty of those workers do not want that particular version, either because it is more expensive than they can afford, or they want a later version. Also, employees have first dibs on used Model S/X. So we're down to U.S. employees that have not bought a S/X new, or used that want and can afford the initial Model 3 version. I can believe that's around 1,000 or 2 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.