Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrari had a record year in 2016 of 8,000 units sold.

I am thinking ~5k units per year.

10K units per year would be jaw dropping.

These cars are 2+2 targa coupes costing $200k-$250k.
But how much do the Ferrari’s cost and remember what happens to sales if you make a relatively small price reduction?

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I remember initial guidance to be 20-30k for the Model S.

Anyways they could always do a 150KWh pack and put out a $150k version if they want.

That would seriously crater 911 sales
I hope that they decide to produce a lower cost model. If they do that they could not only lower the price of the lower cost model, but they could reduce the costs on the more expensive model as well due to the larger scale production.

I really do not feel that Tesla will be cash positive anytime in the foreseeable future. Elon is all about expansion and new ideas, they will serve as a cash burn for as long as he is the CEO as well as Chairman. I admire him very much, but I feel like he does not really have as good of a business financial sense. I know Model 3 is still vamping and once they can mass produce it, Tesla will be a cash machine. But don't you feel like Elon will make more ideas to spend all that cash? Please don't flame here, I am all in Tesla at the moment. I am just trying to bounce some thoughts here. When do you guys feel Tesla will be cash positive? Don't you feel like someone with more of a business acumen or operational expertise like Tim Cook should come in and guide Tesla to cash positive first before another expansion? That might be better for the SP.

I just got an invite to configure my Model 3. Just placed order. Says delivery time 4 weeks. Would be amazing if they could deliver it to me by end of year.

estimator.png

Last edited:
I really do not feel that Tesla will be cash positive anytime in the foreseeable future. Elon is all about expansion and new ideas, they will serve as a cash burn for as long as he is the CEO as well as Chairman. I admire him very much, but I feel like he does not really have as good of a business financial sense. I know Model 3 is still vamping and once they can mass produce it, Tesla will be a cash machine. But don't you feel like Elon will make more ideas to spend all that cash? Please don't flame here, I am all in Tesla at the moment. I am just trying to bounce some thoughts here. When do you guys feel Tesla will be cash positive? Don't you feel like someone with more of a business acumen or operational expertise like Tim Cook should come in and guide Tesla to cash positive first before another expansion? That might be better for the SP.

I agree with you regarding the realities of cash flow but disagree that someone else at the helm would be better. Tesla is / will be like Amazon. Just continuously growing. And hopefully once Model 3 ramps they will be closer to breakeven on cash since payments come in prior to expenses being due once they get production rolling.

I just got an invite to configure my Model 3. Just placed order. Says delivery time 4 weeks. Would be amazing if they could deliver it to me by end of year.

View attachment 262114
Congrats. Just curious: did you receive the email today (Wednesday 22)? If yes then it is a second batch after the first email config sent yesterday, so maybe they won't get out every week like the early days of X, but just more often...

Nevertheless, it's a lot of money so a pretty limited demographic and there will always be many people who'd rather a Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche, just because that's what they want, or like the sound and feel of an engine, the smell of petrol.

I couldn't possibly begin to guess the annual sales for such a car other than that I intend to get one once the kids have left home.
The comparable Porsche costs over $800k. How many petrol heads are willing to spend an extra $600k for less performance to get the sound and smell of petrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.