Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S AP & CPU upgrade Q

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched, read and learned quite a bit but I can't find the answer to one question.
I'm considering purchasing a late 2017 Model S (100D), it has MCU 1 and AP 2.5. As best I can tell it does not have any form of even basic autopilot included, it just says "Autopilot Safety Features." I would like to have the basic highway Autopilot functionality with TACC & lane keep features but not FSD. If I pay to upgrade to MCU 2 ($2250 I believe) this will also include an upgrade to AP 3, will this then have the basic Autopilot as the base or will that not be included (and if not included can it be added for a fee?)?

Thanks!

The software and hardware packages are in no way related. Updating the MCU and AP computer will not change the autopilot/FSD software package.

Thanks ucmdd for that, it does make sense and the only reason I thought that upgrading the hardware might also upgrade the software to (basic) Autopilot is because I believe the cars that originally came with AP 3 all came with Autopilot (TACC & lane keep) as the base level of software.

Would you happen to know if there is a way to pay to upgrade just to that level? I see plenty of information about paying for EAP (maybe not anymore?) and of course FSD (owned or subscribed).

Untitled.jpg

Would you happen to know if there is a way to pay to upgrade just to that level?
I seem to recall some threads around here of others in a similar situation. I believe some have been successful at getting a service center to understand what they need and purchasing an upgrade through them.

Just saw your pic - that’s a super old software version. Does the car have a pending software update?

What does your Tesla app show in the upgrades section?

Basic AP did not become a standard feature until early 2019, so older cars wouldn’t have it unless purchased by the owner. However, I would think you could add it as an upgrade. You don’t need to upgrade your hardware for AP, but you might want to upgrade the MCU for other reasons. As mentioned above, upgrading the hardware doesn’t get you AP if you don’t have it already.

Reactions: Bigriver
it just says "Autopilot Safety Features."
I am not sure what a car without any autopilot would show on this screen. It would be easier to confirm the lack of any autopilot in the autopilot menu.

But as owner of a late 2017 MX, I can echo the confirmation that it is possible to have a car of this vintage with no autopilot software. If that is the case, it has basic non-adaptive cruise control. It does have the hardware for basic autopilot. The last I heard was that basic autopilot would be available for $3k. I don’t know if this price has changed.

We have a 2016 model S. As mentioned, you have to purchase EAP for $3k, which gives you TACC, automatic lane change, and basic summon feature. Also, who knows if it's still available. The hardware is there, so I would guess yes.
I don’t think EAP would be available for $3k. For a car with no autopilot at all, Tesla was still keeping a hefty $3k price tag for basic autopilot, last I knew. Hopefully they restructured it along with recent lowering FSD price.

In late 2016 through most/all of 2017 the options were:

Autopilot safety features only - $0
Enhanced Autopilot - $5,000
Full Self Driving - $3,000 (requires EAP)

After they changed the bundling, I believe @Bigriver is correct and you could buy the Basic Autopilot package for $3k from the service center.

Not sure how that has evolved in recent months/years.

Reactions: Bigriver