Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model X 100D Supercharger capped at 100kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 March 100D here. Heavy use (>100 miles/day, did 35000 miles last year).

My rate is capped at 105kW (down from 118kW) since the latest update. I was a heavy supercharger user as I lived in an apartment (like a lot of Tesla owners do in Silicon Valley) that didn't provide EV charging.

Now I charge for 30 mins at the SC (in the dead of the night)regardless of rate, drive home and hook it up to a 110v/12A outlet. Get around 40 miles more overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: ytwytw and Hilbe
This is what you said in post “The sc cant be your destination...” ;)

“ It specifically said "supercharger can not be final destination”

Let me CLARIFY: For PRECONDITIONING/HEATING TO WORK, The sc cant be your destination. This does not mean in your specific trip you won't get 140kwh charge (or greater), it means that the battery wont PREHEAT (go out of it's way to get you a faster charge) if you arent going anywhere after you charge.

Now this being Tesla, that could have changed already lol :-/

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Let me CLARIFY: For PRECONDITIONING/HEATING TO WORK, The sc cant be your destination. This does not mean in your specific trip you won't get 140kwh charge (or greater), it means that the battery wont PREHEAT (go out of it's way to get you a faster charge) if you arent going anywhere after you charge.

Now this being Tesla, that could have changed already lol :-/
It sure would be nice to know where you saw this. I searched TMC and came up short.

If Tesla's goal with the battery warmup is to decrease charging time in order to free up chargers, it would not make sense to only do this for through charging. A charger occupied regardless of where the final destination is is still a charger occupied.

Reactions: jboy210
It sure would be nice to know where you saw this. I searched TMC and came up short.

If Tesla's goal with the battery warmup is to decrease charging time in order to free up chargers, it would not make sense to only do this for through charging. A charger occupied regardless of where the final destination is is still a charger occupied.

I agree 100% and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it (release notes maybe?)

2018 March 100D here. Heavy use (>100 miles/day, did 35000 miles last year).

My rate is capped at 105kW (down from 118kW) since the latest update. I was a heavy supercharger user as I lived in an apartment (like a lot of Tesla owners do in Silicon Valley) that didn't provide EV charging.

Now I charge for 30 mins at the SC (in the dead of the night)regardless of rate, drive home and hook it up to a 110v/12A outlet. Get around 40 miles more overnight.

Feel like we are on the same boat.
I’m trying to estimate how many kWh charges are needed to get capped.
im not exclusively charging my car at SC but more than average users.

That is the purpose but meant for the winter.
Summer day like recently are not enough that the battery is already over 30C when parked overnight.
It doesn’t make sense to preheat battery since it’s warm enough
It makes big difference in winter since on-route preheat ensure max possible speed when arrive SC, and it does reduce charging time in WINTER

I have a P100D and it mostly starts charging around 135, give or take and holds that until above 50%.

What bugs me is that Tesla is doing such a terrible job of support. Tesla owners here like to talk about how great the cars are and how amazing the technology is. But when you have problems Tesla can be a major PITA. No one seems to be getting the word out to potential buyers. Presently the only thing Tesla cares about is selling cars. The only way to get Tesla to change their treatment of owners with service problems is to make it an issue with new buyers.

The worse problem? They are too many model 3s on the street now and service center are overloaded.
I have a good relationship with my local sc, but at the end of the day, my car charges and it drives, it means no problem.
Slow charging isn’t a problem to them, even we think they are and they are too busy to care your not-a-problem problem

going through my teslafi charging summary.
I have 5558 kWh on CHAdeMo
and 8235 kWh on Supercharger
and 9203 kWh on AC

it may not be the complete report but I think Supercharger speed is capped after around 10000 kWh of DC charger