Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 VIN Model X Order and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't make sense to me why would people take delivery in January with a 2016 built VIN, and not able to take the federal credit until 2018. I would be upset, because there is a price difference when you sell your car.

I confirmed mine in October, requested 2017 built. I will not look forward until I see my X enters production, the VIN I got is also a 2016 VIN.

BTW, anyone you have experience on your trade in? Tesla gave me an offer for my S in October, by the time my X is ready they will need to re-appraise my S. I am not comfortable with this process, since my trade in value might be significantly less than what Tesla originally offered to me.

well l got my VIN 10th 8th Dec. Only 48 hours after confirmation.... my delivery date is showing Feb- early march. clearly my car will be built in 2017... but i have a 2016 currently. l'm going to follow up my DS to make sure my car is built in 2017 and therefore a 2017 Vin reflects this....

I'm showing a G here as well!

Attachments

• IMG_8759.jpg
    IMG_8759.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 132
I got a surprised call from Tesla today, they said they have a spot open to build my X with a 2017 stamp in the next 2 weeks. they asked if I want to expedited this, they will start production in a week and deliver the car to me early January.

• Funny
Reactions: Darryl
yup, need to finish all paper work by end of the year, I assume, I can get my federal credit this year.

Go back to this post and read about someone else who's in this boat. I responded to that post, and link over to another post talking about it and some of the advice there. Short answer: it is not really in your best interest to part with your cash and take title on a vehicle that is not yet in your possession.

I don't see how this different than the normal process. when I purchase my S 2 years ago, I had to wire the money before I even see the car. For my X order, you will need to wire the money before you pick up the car anyway. I will take the car regardless, sending the money in 2 weeks early, and I get my federal credit this year with a 2017 VIN is good trade.

I got a surprised call from Tesla today, they said they have a spot open to build my X with a 2017 stamp in the next 2 weeks. they asked if I want to expedited this, they will start production in a week and deliver the car to me early January.
Got the same call about an early delivery, but he askes if I wanted a direct delivey vs picking up at the Fremont factory. He said direct delivery is faster, I live 10mi away from the factory and work in Fremont passing by the Tesla factory every day so not sure about direct delivery

To me this is all shady, but that's my opinion. Usually when you pick up after paying, the window is much smaller. But honestly, I'd rather see the car in person before I sign anything. We'll see if I can get away with that :p

EDIT: Apparently I can. You can submit final payment on the day of delivery. That's what I plan to do. My money is my leverage to ensure the car is as it should be before I accept delivery.

Last edited:
ordered a Model X last week and was scheduled to have the order confirmed today. I was unofficially told by a rep that I should expect March delivery.

Today they offered to give me a 2017 VIN if I completed the financials by the end of the year. In turn I could expect direct delivery at my house in early January. Additionally I would be eligible to claim the $7500 rebate in 2016.

I assume that their motivation is to count my order for fourth quarter, but I never imagined seeing it get turned around this fast. Is this too good to be true?

This is amazing and EXACTLY the call I would love to get. I was told that they do this on some occasions and you can even get your car in December and have it titled as a 2017. This was after having been told that the car had to be completely built in 2017 for it to be titled a 2017 car so earliest deliveries would be late January. My understanding of the tax credit though is that the car has to be put "into use" the year you get the credit for -anyone have deeper knowledge on this subject ? Can you pay in 2016 for a 2017 titled/delivered car and take the tax credit in 2016 and vice versa/ could you take delivery in December for a 2017 can and get the credit in 2017 if you so choose?

You can buy a 2017 toyota plug in today and file federal credit for this year. I dont see any problem, tesla should be cutting off 2016 built by October or November. Seriously, if I am paying for the same price for a 2016 vs 2017, why would I want to take a 2016 in late December. I would wait for a 2017.

Thats the problem with Tesla, they dont want to build any 2017 until they meet Q4 target.

I think I figured it out what they are doing, they fulfilled all 2016 order as well as building a lot of 2016 inventory cars. Thats why I was being offered to take an 2016 inventory car, I told them I wait unless there is a huge disconnect.

I am guessing tesla finish building all 2016 orders and as well as buildijg bunch of inventory cars. There is still a little over a week before the factory shut down and they are going to start building 2017 cars.

I prefer they build my X before they shut down rather than after the factory reopen. I got my S 2 years ago and it was build after they shut down the factory for a month. I got so many little quality problems.

Thats the problem with Tesla, they dont want to build any 2017 until they meet Q4 target.

I think I figured it out what they are doing, they fulfilled all 2016 order as well as building a lot of 2016 inventory cars. Thats why I was being offered to take an 2016 inventory car, I told them I wait unless there is a huge disconnect.

I am guessing tesla finish building all 2016 orders and as well as buildijg bunch of inventory cars. There is still a little over a week before the factory shut down and they are going to start building 2017 cars.

I prefer they build my X before they shut down rather than after the factory reopen. I got my S 2 years ago and it was build after they shut down the factory for a month. I got so many little quality problems.

I look at that and feel differently.

My personal gut feeling says they are "rushing" to finish as many 2016's as they can and they will have quality issues with those cars.

That's the whole reason why I pushed mine back to a 2017 / March Delivery. I will see what she looks like when we get her!