Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.24.1 Canadian Model 3.. No summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 24.1 when I was at the SC Tuesday. However the only new feature is the speed limit. I don't see anything about wifi in the update notes. How could I enable wifi or I don't have it?

Do you have a Model 3? If not then there wouldn't be any wifi changes for you. It enables wifi for the first time in the Model 3.

If you do have a Model 3, click on the LTE icon to access the wifi menu.

Remind me what does wifi do for the M3 again?

Allow it to get updates, and other Internet connectivity like remote access, in places where cell service isn't available. (Like when parked in an underground garage.)

And now that the Model 3 has WiFi it may only get map updates via WiFi, same as the Model S&X. (The manual does say that Map updates come over WiFi.)

Last edited:
Allow it to get updates, and other Internet connectivity like remote access, in places where cell service isn't available. (Like when parked in an underground garage.)

And now that the Model 3 has WiFi it may only get map updates via WiFi, same as the Model S&X. (The manual does say that Map updates come over WiFi.)

Sorry, I thought Tesla uses online map from Google. Why need Map update?

`
For the navigation system. The Google maps are only used to display the satellite map and such. (The routes are drawn on top of the Google map.) The actual routing is done with Tesla's own offline maps.

No that is not the case. I am comparing the routes from Markham to Downtown Toronto every 5 minus. The route keep changing because of traffic conditions. The Tesla google map exactly same as main recommended routes at google map app on my iPhone. Only difference is that Tesla not showing other two routes which have close timings.

If I used IPhone own map, the routes may different comaparing with Google map.

Sorry, as such , I believe Tesla uses online map and gets the routes from Google. I don’t think Tesla actually uses in car computer to caculate the routes.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike