Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.39.7 - able to make 90º intersection left turns with lead car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been able to successfully and repeatedly make 90 degree left turns at stop light intersections while on autopilot. As long as there is a lead car to keep you stopped at the red light, the car will make left turns when the light turns green.

Has anyone else achieved this?

• Disagree
Reactions: asianxtreme
This doesn't make sense. Unless you have fully marked turn lanes, how would the car know to turn left? The default is to proceed through intersections straight. If there are turn lane markings it has nothing to do with following the lead car, autopilot is just following the lanes.

From page 67 of the Model 3 manual at https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

QUOTE: “Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present.”

I would not use Autosteer in the situation you described in your post. A road with an intersection is not a “limited-access” road.

I've been able to successfully and repeatedly make 90 degree left turns at stop light intersections while on autopilot. As long as there is a lead car to keep you stopped at the red light, the car will make left turns when the light turns green.

Has anyone else achieved this?

Reactions: outdoors
My wife's Autopilot works very well for her including making turns, starting and stopping whether or not there are other vehicles in front of the car. Sometimes it drives too aggressively for her or doesn't slow down enough to let her take pictures and then she gets mad and yells at it. She just uses verbal commands (sometimes very loudly) to tell it how to drive and it sheepishly obliges. It does talk back to her once in a while and often regrets those instances almost immediately and goes back to the standard "Yes, sweetie" responses. ;)

My Model 3's EAP does not function anything like what the OP describes.

I assume it's making a left turn, not a right turn? I've definitely had my car attempt to follow the car in front of it when on AP and it's definitely started to turn left, but I've never let it continue. I always just take over.

Yes, left turns. I've had it go successfully through intersections about 5 times now with very poor lane markings.
Yeah. With the absence of lane marking, it uses the car ahead of it to determine where the lane likely is, and just follows it. I think a right turn would be too sharp of a turn for it to follow, but a left turn is more of a sweeping curve.