Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 AWD with EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is giving away more range, speed, and AP/FSD to everyone, except the 2018 AWD with EAP. Why?

And I'm not upset because I didn't get what I paid for. I did, and I like the car.

But now, Tesla is giving price/speed/features to everyone else, and leaving this configuration in the donut hole.

I ordered early to get the tax credit. I could have waited, got a better built car, for less, with more options and included features.

Never again.

Just stings.

Tesla is giving away more range, speed, and AP/FSD to everyone, except the 2018 AWD with EAP. Why?

And I'm not upset because I didn't get what I paid for. I did, and I like the car.

But now, Tesla is giving price/speed/features to everyone else, and leaving this configuration in the donut hole.

I ordered early to get the tax credit. I could have waited, got a better built car, for less, with more options and included features.

Never again.

Just stings.

The long range RWD model always had more range due to it's improved efficiency; they are simply reflecting this officially. Nothing is physically changing with the car to my understanding.

The increased top speed is incredibly moot imo, but to each their own.

All models are going to benefit from ~5% peak power, including your AWD.

I don't believe EVERYONE is getting AP/FSD for "free". It seems that those whom purchased EAP (or didn't) this year prior to all the recent pricing changes, are being given pricing reductions to offset the sudden price drop of the vehicles.

I went back and looked at my spreadsheet from when I purchased my configuration back on 6/2018. If you factor in the difference in paint costs, document fees, delivery fees, and tax subsidy, the P3D is now $550 cheaper, and the AWD configuration is now $1,550 cheaper.

I recently talked to a guy at work whom bought a newer GTI almost a year after I bought mine. He got it for $2k cheaper, and it has quite a few more features. At the time I made both car purchase decisions, it was my decision.

The long range RWD model always had more range due to it's improved efficiency; they are simply reflecting this officially. Nothing is physically changing with the car to my understanding.

The increased top speed is incredibly moot imo, but to each their own.

All models are going to benefit from ~5% peak power, including your AWD.

I don't believe EVERYONE is getting AP/FSD for "free". It seems that those whom purchased EAP (or didn't) this year prior to all the recent pricing changes, are being given pricing reductions to offset the sudden price drop of the vehicles.

I went back and looked at my spreadsheet from when I purchased my configuration back on 6/2018. If you factor in the difference in paint costs, document fees, delivery fees, and tax subsidy, the P3D is now $550 cheaper, and the AWD configuration is now $1,550 cheaper.

I recently talked to a guy at work whom bought a newer GTI almost a year after I bought mine. He got it for $2k cheaper, and it has quite a few more features. At the time I made both car purchase decisions, it was my decision.
I think your numbers are off. A loaded white P3D would have been 81,000 back then. Now you can get one that has all the same things for 6900. Of course 8100-5k - 3750 = 7250 That is still a big difference in price pus additional tax, interest, and insurance costs for the more expensive car.

Of course if you bought a P3D without autopilot, then by purchasing FSD for $5k you would come out pretty close!

Here are 3 VERY rough tables of how I was looking at it. I didn't buy FSD during my order, so I am considering the recently promised pricing of $2k to add FSD to EAP. I am not comparing just EAP, since EAP and AP are not directly comparable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.38.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.38.52 PM.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.39.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.39.17 PM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.39.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 9.39.25 PM.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 45
I guess this is the benefit of having dealerships with obscure negotiated final prices. The customer never sees this sort of price change from the manufacturer. But since Tesla is a direct seller, there is no negotiating, and the price is fixed, so it is boldly apparent what everyone else is paying.

I don't expect things to stay stagnant. But I compromised on buying an early build model, with all the very real early production warts, in order to secure the tax incentive. And Tesla pushed this! Aggressively pushing and selling as much as possible. Encouraging us all to get one early, warts and all, to get the tax benefit.

Now, Tesla is making all sorts of concessions to make the cars cheaper, nullifying the tax benefit.

I just feel duped.

And the 2018 AWD with EAP got the worst of the combination of no 0-60 bump, and no FSD concession for the full price we paid for a now non-existent package, the price of which will now buy you FSD, if you happened to buy on Jan 1, 2019, rather than Dec 31, 2018. Again, this is due to the tax incentive. But I would have never bought in 2018 if I'd have known they were going to mitigate the reduced incentive this way. I would have waited for a better built car, with more options.

Duped.

I got a fully loaded P3D as soon as they came out and previously had a LR RWD. The LR RWD had 13k miles on it, and I sold it for what I paid minus taxes.

Here’s what I got versus $7050 less for same configuration today, also including tax incentives and dest and doc fees:
  • Free supercharging for life (will put 20k supercharger miles per year)
  • Lower interest rate (1.49 percent for 72 months — I’m seeing way higher these days around 3.75 percent)
  • Higher resale value for LR RWD (sold for 48.5k: blue, aero, EAP)
  • Car much sooner (September 2018)
  • Early access software program
  • Received $600+ limited edition charger from referral program, which has now ended.
I’m happy.

Last edited:
I guess this is the benefit of having dealerships with obscure negotiated final prices. The customer never sees this sort of price change from the manufacturer. But since Tesla is a direct seller, there is no negotiating, and the price is fixed, so it is boldly apparent what everyone else is paying.

I don't expect things to stay stagnant. But I compromised on buying an early build model, with all the very real early production warts, in order to secure the tax incentive. And Tesla pushed this! Aggressively pushing and selling as much as possible. Encouraging us all to get one early, warts and all, to get the tax benefit.

Now, Tesla is making all sorts of concessions to make the cars cheaper, nullifying the tax benefit.

I just feel duped.

And the 2018 AWD with EAP got the worst of the combination of no 0-60 bump, and no FSD concession for the full price we paid for a now non-existent package, the price of which will now buy you FSD, if you happened to buy on Jan 1, 2019, rather than Dec 31, 2018. Again, this is due to the tax incentive. But I would have never bought in 2018 if I'd have known they were going to mitigate the reduced incentive this way. I would have waited for a better built car, with more options.

Duped.

Yep exactly! It’s all the pushing at every stage, duping people every few months. I guess the only other people who prob feel worse are the employees at stores about to lose their jobs or who had their bonuses slashed. I have 2 Tesla’s but how the company treats their customers and their employees doesn’t sit well at all. Perhaps this is the only way to survive and management just has to make some really tough decisions... or maybe a reason a many of their executives keep leaving are decisions like this being made behind the scenes and they just don’t want to be a part of it.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Perhaps this is the only way to survive and management just has to make some really tough decisions...
Bingo! This is new technology improving at a fairly rapid pace, Tesla can't afford to wait until a new model year to make changes. Early adopters always pay a higher price in any technology. There will always be a better and cheaper version coming at some point in the near future. I choose to wait until things stabilize a bit more.

Bingo! This is new technology improving at a fairly rapid pace, Tesla can't afford to wait until a new model year to make changes. Early adopters always pay a higher price in any technology. There will always be a better and cheaper version coming at some point in the near future. I choose to wait until things stabilize a bit more.

You’re a much smarter person than me. Half of my frustration is self-directed at my inability to have waited. I didn’t need an LR, but I couldn’t get myself to wait. Anything else I’ve bought early was at most say $500... not $50k.

The way Tesla sold it was that the price would only go up on the cars and wouldn't adjust to the tax incentives. Any cheaper cars would be less batteries or slower. It didn't turn out that way and I think many people have learned their lesson.

Reactions: jgd108
the 2018 AWD with EAP got the worst of the combination of no 0-60 bump, and no FSD concession for the full price we paid for a now non-existent package, the price of which will now buy you FSD, if you happened to buy on Jan 1, 2019, rather than Dec 31, 2018. Again, this is due to the tax incentive. But I would have never bought in 2018 if I'd have known they were going to mitigate the reduced incentive this way. I would have waited for a better built car, with more options.

Duped.

Perfectly stated. Really blows to be a 2018 EAP purchaser and get left out of these great deals Tesla is offering to some prior purchasers but not others (the ones who believed Tesla when it said EAP&FSD would cost significantly more after delivery).

Duped. And slapped in the face.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matt L
Here are 3 VERY rough tables of how I was looking at it. I didn't buy FSD during my order, so I am considering the recently promised pricing of $2k to add FSD to EAP. I am not comparing just EAP, since EAP and AP are not directly comparable.

EDIT: I inadvertently left a $5000 adjustment in all the configurations for the deal that Performance owners got for trading in their FUSC.

Never again.

Just stings.
So you think giving the LR RWD something they always had is a good deal?

This horse is as beat has it could possibly be...the AWD does not have the same range as the RWD.

You got the same 5% we got.

It’s best to not look over your neighbors fence and just be happy with what you have.

One thing Tesla better be careful about is pissing off those of us that meet lemon criteria. And I am sure there are quite a few just due to how long it takes them in service... If I get a little more annoyed, I could just lemon my 2018 and purchase a new 2019 for less money leaving them with one with a branded title.

So exactly what have they done that would cause you to show a complete lack of integrity and fraudulently do this?

Disgusting really.

Reactions: Common_Loon
So exactly what have they done that would cause you to show a complete lack of integrity and fraudulently do this?

Disgusting really.

If I meet lemon criteria, it's not fraud to lemon a car... I haven't done so up until now because I want Tesla to succeed, especially as a stockholder. Don't get me started on the shenanigans I have had to deal with on my model 3. Half the car has been repainted for defects and damage caused by service, every single piece of glass was damaged and replaced, most of the interior trim has been damaged and partially replaced, service was caught joy riding at 85 in a 55 with fresh paint coming back from the body shop, 3 months to get parts in, on top of the price cuts for new orders. Why would I want to keep a damaged car instead of get a new one for less money?

Last edited: