Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3P - Do I have Autopilot? [no]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my new-to-me 18 M3P (5K miles) next week and I assumed that it would've had basic autopilot based on this photo my salesman captured

276260837_2613044348859318_1427977595333009967_n.jpg

Then today I was cleared for the ownership transfer and upon looking in the upgrades section....

unnamed (1).jpg

I assume I don't have autopilot... :(

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Ahh crud...Thanks for the insight. So it doesn't even have distance cruise?

The change to "included autopilot" (along with some other changes to the configuration of the package of autopilot etc) happened in March / April of 2019. Any model 3 delivered before then does not have autopilot standard.

That car would have had either nothing at all (no autopilot, like you have) or "Enhanced" autopilot (which is basically FSD without stop light control and the newer computer). In 2018, the previous owner of that car would have had to buy enhanced autopilot (for 5k, which at todays package prices is a steal lol), and obviously chose not to.

Another thing to know about that car is, you wont be able to subscribe to FSD without doing a computer upgrade to the version 3.0 computer. I am not sure how much that costs, as my 2018 model 3P had enhanced autopilot first, then I added FSD in March of 2019 (to get the new computer, mostly).

Reactions: Jack Vang
Thanks for all of the insight. Besides FSD are there any other advantages of going to 3.0 from 2.5? Also, once I pay for AP does it automatically start working or do I need to wait for a certain period before I can use it?

Thanks for all of the insight. Besides FSD are there any other advantages of going to 3.0 from 2.5?
If you pay $3,000, you can't get 3.0 self-driving computer.

If you pay $15,000 and you want to keep 2.5, I think you can do Navigation on Autopilot on highways only but you can't do that on City Streets.

If you want Navigation on Autopilot in City Streets, the minimum you need is a 3.0 computer.

Also, once I pay for AP does it automatically start working or do I need to wait for a certain period before I can use it?
It should pretty quickly. If not, send Service Center a note so they can fix it over the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Vang
Thanks for all of the insight. Besides FSD are there any other advantages of going to 3.0 from 2.5? Also, once I pay for AP does it automatically start working or do I need to wait for a certain period before I can use it?
You have to wait for your cameras to calibrate before you can use Autopilot. From the manual:

Model 3 must maneuver with precision when Autopilot features are being used. Therefore, before some features can be used for the first time or after some types of service repairs, cameras must complete a self-calibration process. For your convenience, the touchscreen displays a progress indicator.

When calibration is complete, Autopilot features are available for use. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes (such as a controlled-access highway), with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes). Contact Tesla only if your Model 3 has not completed the calibration process after driving 100 miles (160 km) in the described conditions.

I am not sure but I think the camera calibration part was done after the car was driven off the delivery by the previous owner.

Although the Autopilot fee was not paid but the free Autopilot Safety Features are standard and those require camera calibration as well.
If the cameras are calibrated, then you’ll be able to use Autopilot right away. If the cameras do require additional calibration, you’ll know that too because the calibration progress indicator is shown on the screen (at least it was before V11).