Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 LR RWD Charging limited to 32 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note)

Thread title amended to add "LR" so that it correctly reads "LR RWD", as that is a configuration of the car that is no longer sold but that exists, as pointed out.

==============================
(regular content post)
Thanks. I just mentioned this to Tesla Service. That may be the confusion. I know for a fact I had it charging above 32. I would never have bought the wall connector if it couldn't go higher.

Tesla telling you that "RWD cars can only charge up to 32amp speeds" is unfortunate, especially if it was in for service at the time. That means whomever told you that (on the tesla side) was simply "going off what they knew".

I mean, I sort of get it, because I am sure they get "hey why is the wall connector only charging at 32amp on my RWD tesla model 3?" as a question only slightly less than they get "how come I drove 7 miles and 10 rolled off my battery meter????????????", but that still doesnt excuse them not checking to verify what they were telling you before they told it to you.

Reactions: Rocky_H
- If you're using the mobile charger, even on a 14-50 plug that is limited to delivering 32A. (car displays 32/32A)

- The wall charger you're using might limit power to 32A (car displays 32/32A)

- One of your onboard charger modules could be bad. Since each of the three modules handles 16A each, you'd only charge a 32 instead of 48A.

EDIT: I just saw (re-reading) you bought the Tesla wall charger. Assuming this is a Gen3 (latest), you need to configure it through its wifi connection otherwise it defaults to something low.

I have a 2018 LR RWD Model 3. Just bought the Tesla Wall charger. Car will not charge past 32amps. Why?
Either the wall connector you're attached to is limited to 32a as suggested above, or your car's on-board charger has a fault. When charging, on the main screen you should see two amperage numbers separated by a slash like 32a/32a or 32a/48a, etc... The first number is the number of amps you're charging at, the second is what the wall connector is reporting as max. If you tell us what your car says we can tell which situation you're in.

RWD, SR+ etc, models with only a rear motor, have always been limited to 32A on AC charging. Nothing new. On any DCFC you can go higher though, up to 170kW

EDIT: Ah, now I doubt what I said for the earlier long range RWD versions... I don't know for those
LR RWD here. We can hit 48a via Tesla home charging station. It’s nice! I charge at 32a at home via mobile chargers.