Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 model x shut down randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to posting but been looking at the forum. Need some suggestions.

My wife was on her way to drop off the kids when she tried to change the streaming station. Then the screen shut down, then the car shut down for 15 seconds. Thankfully she was at a red light.

Any one else go through something like this?

I have minor things I wanted to take the car in for, but this seems pretty urgent

My wife was on her way to drop off the kids when she tried to change the streaming station. Then the screen shut down, then the car shut down for 15 seconds. Thankfully she was at a red light.

I have minor things I wanted to take the car in for, but this seems pretty urgent

Car was unresponsive or did just the center screen reboot? Bugs in the software will occasionally cause an unintended reboot of the MCU but the car will still respond to throttle brake and steering inputs.

Car shutting down completely is bad you may want to call Tesla and have them look at logs ..center screen rebooting happens occasionally after software updates but car is still driveable ..best is call the 800 number and Have them pull logs

The vehicle should still be operable even if the center screen and instrument cluster reboot.

I experienced a very weird reset on Saturday while driving on an interstate at 70 mph on autopilot. Was listening to a (downloaded) podcast and for about 30 seconds the podcast got very spotty with static and random speakers shut off and then back on. I then lost all control of all non-driving functions. The autopilot warning showed up on the dash but would not go away in response to anything I did. This includes moving the steering wheel significantly and hitting the stalk. The warning then showed up on the center screen and told me to take control immediately. The car then spontaneously reset: everything went black. 30 seconds later everything was fine.

Luckily, unlike the original poster’s situation, driving functions were not impaired. I still could break, gas, turn the wheel, and autopilot did disengage even though the screens and audio did not indicate that it had. I did put my blinker on to get away from the left lane but I’m not sure if it actually went on or not as there was no audio. After the reset I was able to engage autopilot again. I never left the highway and never got below 50 mph during the whole situation. It was a little scary, but since I always had full control of the car I didn’t get too concerned.

Car is a model X (my second) with 3300 miles on it.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
I've had the black screen of death a couple of times randomly, but always drive. Except for one isolated incident when I got in the car one morning and the dash and main screen were on, but it refused to select forward or reverse drive (just stayed in P, whatever I tried to select). I got out and in again and it was fine. Never did it again so I soon forgot about it.

Did you happen to recently take an update? If so, did you reboot the MCU after the update?

I had a couple of incidents where when I do not reboot the MCU (hold down both buttons on the steering wheel) after an update things got a little wonky. So now I always reboot after an update.