Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.16 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know if any HW3 cars have gotten the update yet. We seem to be lagging behind other 2.5 users.

I believe several HW3 users on this forum have received 2019.16.X. TeslaFi cannot differentiate between HW2.5 and HW3 for Model 3 (the Tesla API does not return real option codes for the model 3). The only HW3 vehicles you see on TeslaFi are Model S and Model X.

anything tips to try and get the update sooner rather than later? this will be my first update since getting the car. i am on HW3 on the east coast

Same for me. On HW3 and will be my first update. Looking at TeslaFi and extrapolating out: yesterday about twice as many cars got the update compared to Tuesday. Assuming TeslaFi has an accurate distribution and they double it again today, most people should get it today. It was about this time in the afternoon for the last 2 days that they seemed.to open the update floodgates. Doesn't mean they'll continue to follow the pattern but I'm hopeful.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Back to the release itself.

So what do folks think of this Emergency Lane Avoidance and Blind Spot Assist mode feature.

When ever I get a new feature I turn it on, like most enthusiasts here.

I might have missed it one of these in 12.2.1 but I just turned both those on after 16.2 came in.

So I'm driving along and got a little close to white line and suddenly the car tugs back into the lane. Whoa, that was cool, or was it?
I've had features like this on other cars and thought it was cool at first then later decided anything that suddenly turns the wheel unexpectedly can be wrong. Like maybe I'm avoiding a dog in road or something and it swings me back.

Today I went over the line to avoid a large puddle (We know Model 3's and large puddles don't mix).
This time it blared an alarm and did not steer back.

For the record, I've shut NoA off. But I still use AutoSteer. Less stress this way.

So what do folks think. Sorry this might be buried further up the thread. Maybe it should have it's own thread.

So I'm driving along and got a little close to white line and suddenly the car tugs back into the lane.

Today I went over the line to avoid a large puddle (We know Model 3's and large puddles don't mix).
This time it blared an alarm and did not steer back.

Just a guess but I wonder if it's differentiating between a "drift" in the lane and a purposeful steering motion. Don't have the feature yet so no experience but that's sort of what it sounds like with what you described.

Just a guess but I wonder if it's differentiating between a "drift" in the lane and a purposeful steering motion. Don't have the feature yet so no experience but that's sort of what it sounds like with what you described.

Still trying to figure that out, it certainly might be. After it did that "assisted" steering once, I tried to test it by deliberately going over the line and it did nothing. So the first time might have been a genuine drift because I wasn't gripping the wheel hard. But I was when I avoided the puddle it was not accidental drift for sure.

I'm a little confused which is Blind Spot Assist and Emergency Lane Avoidance. Because Blind Spot can happen on the right too. But nothing was around except and empty break down lane. So I think both were Emergency Lane Avoidance. These were both at fairly low speeds by the way, like 30 mph.

This is definitely one of the more interesting releases in a long time. Love the better car display, sentry shortcut, option for software updates sooner and possibly these new safety features.

I'll probably turn NoA back on and see if it has improved (it hasn't in a long time).

I believe that's what is being differentiated. I tested it the other day when I got 16.2 and found that if I intentionally drive to the shoulder, no action. If I am driving hand on wheel and slowly drift, the tug occurs. I don't have the car now but recall there's an option to not take action, audible alert or wheel shake?

• Informative
Reactions: AustinM3LR
I believe that's what is being differentiated. I tested it the other day when I got 16.2 and found that if I intentionally drive to the shoulder, no action. If I am driving hand on wheel and slowly drift, the tug occurs. I don't have the car now but recall there's an option to not take action, audible alert or wheel shake?

Yes. You can turn off "Assist" on Blind Spot. But there is no options on the "Emergency Lane Departure" (that is on or off).

I thought if it was deliberate that it would not also. But it was deliberate when avoided the puddle. That time it didn't steer back put a big visible and audible alarm.

1 was probable drift and it silently steered back.
1 was a test and it did nothing
1 was a deliberate avoidance on my part and it alarmed only.

More testing to understand it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Instead of .16 update, my vehicle has Navigation Maps Data update available notice that is stuck in that mode for weeks. It isn't budging (the progress bar) with wifi, hotspot, etc. Do you know if this is something that can block a future update?

Jumped from 2019.8.6 to 2019.18 tonight! SR+ built in March 2019, standard AP. Didn't really test anything yet. Just saw that visualization is SO MUCH better now, at night it even shows the reflection of the stars (or street lights?) from your glass roof - pretty cool. Will play lane departure and other functions tomorrow.

Reactions: AustinM3LR
Jumped from 2019.8.6 to 2019.18 tonight! SR+ built in March 2019, standard AP. Didn't really test anything yet. Just saw that visualization is SO MUCH better now, at night it even shows the reflection of the stars (or street lights?) from your glass roof - pretty cool. Will play lane departure and other functions tomorrow.
You mean 2019.16, that’s great, mine should be coming soon as mine is also March 2019 Plus.

Fred