Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.16 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah this'll (hopefully) be my first update since delivery so I'm sitting here watching the numbers shoot up and hoping for that notification that it's my turn. Car is on wifi and ready.

Your best bet is to be on wi-fi every night. I don't leave my car until I see it connect. Got 16.2 about 30 minutes after leaving the car tonight and I think most of my updates since adding wi-fi have been about an hour after getting home from work.

Reactions: AustinM3LR
Your best bet is to be on wi-fi every night. I don't leave my car until I see it connect. Got 16.2 about 30 minutes after leaving the car tonight and I think most of my updates since adding wi-fi have been about an hour after getting home from work.

Yep I've got a good strong wifi signal in the garage and haven't had any issues with it connecting every time I pull in. Pretty sure I just haven't hit the VIN lottery yet.

Reactions: GuyFromGPT
Is there a way to remotely check if you're on WiFi?

If you know the car's IP address, or if your network configuration assigns the car a name, you can try pinging it. Most OSes support a text-mode command called "ping," which sends a series of simple network packets to the target to see if that system responds. It'll either send a certain number of packets and then stop or you can terminate it manually. For instance, in Linux:

Code:
$ ping -c 4 seeker
PING seeker.example.com (192.168.21.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from seeker.example.com (192.168.21.6): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.408 ms
64 bytes from seeker.example.com (192.168.21.6): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.351 ms
64 bytes from seeker.example.com (192.168.21.6): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.457 ms
64 bytes from seeker.example.com (192.168.21.6): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.446 ms

--- seeker.rodsbooks.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3068ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.351/0.415/0.457/0.046 ms

This example does not show a ping of my Tesla, though, because of a limitation of this technique: Teslas stop responding to pings once they go to sleep. You can always wake the car up by opening your Tesla app, though. On my network, my Tesla's response times are both longer and more variable than shown above, but it does respond pretty reliably, assuming it's awake.

There are GUI tools that will ping a computer, too, but I've never looked into them much, so I can't make a specific recommendation.

Some WiFi routers provide tools to help you track what devices they manage, so you could look into whatever tools your WiFi router (or whatever manages your network) provides. A tip for this: Every Ethernet and WiFi device, including your Tesla, has a MAC address. This is a 6-digit hexadecimal number, typically expressed with colons, or sometimes dots, between digits, such as 52:55:00:84:fe:de. You can find your Tesla's MAC address somewhere in its WiFi setup menu, then cross-check that against your WiFi router's list of managed MAC addresses to get an IP address. You may even be able to give it a sensible name via the WiFi router to simplify ping checks.

I just received software update available notification.
I currently have 19.16.1.
I have the software update setting on Advanced.
It should have installed it automatically but it wanted my confirmation?
It is installing now.....

I just received software update available notification.
I currently have 19.16.1.
I have the software update setting on Advanced.
It should have installed it automatically but it wanted my confirmation?
It is installing now.....

Wouldnt it always require confirmation? Suppose you are out at the store (for example) and dont want the 20-40 minutes of being unable to drive an auto update would cause.... or are running out the door to some appointment and find the car updating and so you are unable to leave?

It should always require confirmation, even if they ever allow you to trigger it yourself.

Wouldnt it always require confirmation? Suppose you are out at the store (for example) and dont want the 20-40 minutes of being unable to drive an auto update would cause.... or are running out the door to some appointment and find the car updating and so you are unable to leave?

It should always require confirmation, even if they ever allow you to trigger it yourself.
it could wait until i connect to home wifi if it knows that I park in the garage every night..

but it would be a bummer if I had to go somewhere at 3 am one day and it was updating software.. LOL.

Then, I don't know what the Advanced setting means.

It has finished installing 16.2 and the release note looks the same as 16.1.
Tesla is not telling the whole story.
They are hiding something...

aliens.jpg

Just checked. My files are also HEVC (HW3 / 2019.12.1.2).

MPEG-4 (Base Media / Version 2): 37.1 MiB, 59s 225ms
1 Video stream: HEVC

I haven't noticed any issues with corrupted video from the side repeater cams. However, my live backup camera frame-rate is pretty dreadful.
Thanks everyone on 2019.12.2 who checked. It looks like I was wrong about it being the 2019.16 update that makes the videos, but rather HW3. That makes sense, especially if they’ve got a hardware H.265 encoder in the HW3 SoC.

Now to go update my posts all across the internet where I was telling people the wrong thing. :(

Thanks everyone on 2019.12.2 who checked. It looks like I was wrong about it being the 2019.16 update that makes the videos, but rather HW3. That makes sense, especially if they’ve got a hardware H.265 encoder in the HW3 SoC.

Now to go update my posts all across the internet where I was telling people the wrong thing. :(

No good deed ever goes unpunished. Thank you for at least bringing it to our attention! We’d never have known otherwise.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Right. Wonder if HW3 really is the reason the backup camera frame rate is so bad due to different encoding going on behind the scenes. Nobody else has really said much about it.

I honestly haven't noticed any frame rate issues with the back up camera with HW3. Seems to work very reliably every time as soon as I put it in reverse or tap the button to turn it on and the quality is buttery smooth.