Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.16 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly haven't noticed any frame rate issues with the back up camera with HW3. Seems to work very reliably every time as soon as I put it in reverse or tap the button to turn it on and the quality is buttery smooth.
Idk, now it makes sense, our first model 3 is AP 2.5 our M3P is HW3 and I noticed the back up camera frame rate issue. Specially at night. It either freezes or is super laggy. Now our other model 3 is totally fine far as frame rate. And it even looks a little better than my M3P so maybe it is a HW3 thing

Idk, now it makes sense, our first model 3 is AP 2.5 our M3P is HW3 and I noticed the back up camera frame rate issue. Specially at night. It either freezes or is super laggy. Now our other model 3 is totally fine far as frame rate. And it even looks a little better than my M3P so maybe it is a HW3 thing

Hmm. So you’re experiencing the same issue, and this other person isn’t. So either he/she doesn’t notice, or there really are variances. Can you drive around and record your backup camera so I can see the frame rate?

Hmm. So you’re experiencing the same issue, and this other person isn’t. So either he/she doesn’t notice, or there really are variances. Can you drive around and record your backup camera so I can see the frame rate?

Ok maybe "buttery smooth" was a little bit of hyperbole lol. Here's a video I just took and I guess I see the choppiness. Could also be that it's dark out might try another tomorrow afternoon when it's light. Is this the quality of of video you're seeing? Being my first Tesla not really sure what to expect I guess. Now I can't unsee.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
Ok maybe "buttery smooth" was a little bit of hyperbole lol. Here's a video I just took and I guess I see the choppiness. Could also be that it's dark out might try another tomorrow afternoon when it's light. Is this the quality of of video you're seeing? Being my first Tesla not really sure what to expect I guess. Now I can't unsee.

Hah. Yeah. Now go driving 60mph and bring up the camera. It’s pretty dreadful. And yes, that’s not buttery smooth at all, though of course it was a little hard to see. I could tell by the way the curb was choppy, though.

I’d definitely be interested to see it during the day, but so far you’re definitely confirming my suspicions that HW3 has a borked backup camera frame rate.

Thank you for the data point.

Hah. Yeah. Now go driving 60mph and bring up the camera. It’s pretty dreadful. And yes, that’s not buttery smooth at all, though of course it was a little hard to see. I could tell by the way the curb was choppy, though.

I’d definitely be interested to see it during the day, but so far you’re definitely confirming my suspicions that HW3 has a borked backup camera frame rate.

Thank you for the data point.
Yeah that’s what I’m experiencing. Camera is just not smooth like HW2.5. Hopefully ours is fixed in this update that is rolling out.

The view from our rear-view camera on our HW3 Model X is amazing. Our Model 3 has AP2.5 but has a much better view than what we saw when first driving a Model 3 in late 2017. They definitely did something in the software to improve the video quality. Hopefully the issue that some are seeing with HW3 can be resolved with software updates.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Thank you. It’s hard to tell with the phone movement, but it looks jerky to me / I used the outside of your car as a frame rate reference point. The camera footage is clearly much lower frame rate. How does it appear to you?

I feel like the phone video is choppier than what my eyes see. But again, this is my first experience with a Tesla and even in it's current state it's so much better than I've ever seen. Can't wait to see how good it gets when it's fixed!

I feel like the phone video is choppier than what my eyes see. But again, this is my first experience with a Tesla and even in it's current state it's so much better than I've ever seen. Can't wait to see how good it gets when it's fixed!

Yeah it’s really nice when it works. My test-drive HW2.5 P3D was flawless in this regard. Just don’t know how long Tesla will take to fix it, or if they’re even aware.

anything tips to try and get the update sooner rather than later? this will be my first update since getting the car. i am on HW3 on the east coast

I think the only real thing you can do to speed up an update is make sure your car is connected to wifi. Everything else is just rumor (reboots, waking the car frequently, etc.).

And then of course, once we get 2019.16.2, we'll be able to select "Advanced" software update preferences.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker