Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.16 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I just noticed about the 2019.16.x update: it changes the file format used for TeslaCam videos (dash cam and Sentry Mode) to the newer, more efficient HEVC/H.265 codec/format.

That means your computer (or whatever you're using to play back the video files) needs to support this new video format. Recent Macs should handle it just fine, and Windows 10 should be able to play them after installing this HEVC extension from the Windows Store.

Both of the apps I've tried (Sentry Keeper and TeslaCamViewer) fail to play videos recorded on 2019.16, and I suspect the app developers will have to update them before they work.

The web app created by @jdeskins, TeslaCam Video Player, works only if your browser supports HEVC video (which right now means Safari on a recent version of MacOS and Edge on Windows 10 with the HEVC extension installed). Note that as far as I can tell, Chrome does NOT support HEVC, and I didn't find an easy way to make it happen. If you use the web app, just use Safari or Edge as a workaround (I've replied to the developer to let him know, but I don't know if there's much that can be done in browsers that don't support HEVC).

Just something to be aware of as 2019.16.x starts rolling out. If you're one of the lucky few that got it already, and you're having trouble viewing your TeslaCam videos, this is probably why.

Meanwhile, over at BMW forums, they are talking about Updates for summer 2019.
M sport line and M sport individual equipment line, as if I would trade in my BMW for another one with M sport equipment. LOL.

We get new features on our current cars. For FREE!!!

Something I just noticed about the 2019.16.x update: it changes the file format used for TeslaCam videos (dash cam and Sentry Mode) to the newer, more efficient HEVC/H.265 codec/format.

That means your computer (or whatever you're using to play back the video files) needs to support this new video format. Recent Macs should handle it just fine, and Windows 10 should be able to play them after installing this HEVC extension from the Windows Store.

Both of the apps I've tried (Sentry Keeper and TeslaCamViewer) fail to play videos recorded on 2019.16, and I suspect the app developers will have to update them before they work.

The web app created by @jdeskins, TeslaCam Video Player, works only if your browser supports HEVC video (which right now means Safari on a recent version of MacOS and Edge on Windows 10 with the HEVC extension installed). Note that as far as I can tell, Chrome does NOT support HEVC, and I didn't find an easy way to make it happen. If you use the web app, just use Safari or Edge as a workaround (I've replied to the developer to let him know, but I don't know if there's much that can be done in browsers that don't support HEVC).

Just something to be aware of as 2019.16.x starts rolling out. If you're one of the lucky few that got it already, and you're having trouble viewing your TeslaCam videos, this is probably why.

Thanks for this. Is the quality any better as a result of the switch to HEVC? Are file sizes any smaller? Thanks!

Thanks for this. Is the quality any better as a result of the switch to HEVC? Are file sizes any smaller? Thanks!
Sadly I don’t have any pre-2019.16 footage to compare it to (I only had my car for a day before I got 2019.16), but the quality of my current clips is good. No compression artifacts, glitches, or other issues. Can’t generalize that to everyone, but HW3 seems to handle creating the HEVC videos just fine.

As far as file size, I suppose Sentry Mode/dash can file sizes are regular enough (all the same length) that we could compare. I don’t have the file sizes in front of me (I’ll have to go grab my drive from the car), but I’ll check and post what average sizes I’m seeing. If someone can do the same for pre-2019.16 file sizes, we can compare.

Sadly I don’t have any pre-2019.16 footage to compare it to (I only had my car for a day before I got 2019.16), but the quality of my current clips is good. No compression artifacts, glitches, or other issues. Can’t generalize that to everyone, but HW3 seems to handle creating the HEVC videos just fine.

As far as file size, I suppose Sentry Mode/dash can file sizes are regular enough (all the same length) that we could compare. I don’t have the file sizes in front of me (I’ll have to go grab my drive from the car), but I’ll check and post what average sizes I’m seeing. If someone can do the same for pre-2019.16 file sizes, we can compare.

1 minute clips were 30MB each (each camera records at 0.5MB/sec)

Must be with HW3 only. With HW2.5 on 2019.16.1 the format is still H264.
That's interesting. Now I'm wondering if all HW3 models use HEVC, or if I'm falsely correlating it with the 2019.16 update. Anyone out there know they have HW and are still on 2019.12.x (and know how to check if a video is HEVC)?

It would make sense - maybe the HW3 SoC (system on a chip) has a dedicated HEVC encoder, or enough general compute overhead to handle it.

The plot thickens (slightly). ;)

So suggests HW3 specifically is doing HEVC.

I wonder if this will have any impact on the issues folks are having with corrupted video from the side repeater cams.

Any HW3 guys having any issues with that so far?

Just checked. My files are also HEVC (HW3 / 2019.12.1.2).

MPEG-4 (Base Media / Version 2): 37.1 MiB, 59s 225ms
1 Video stream: HEVC

I haven't noticed any issues with corrupted video from the side repeater cams. However, my live backup camera frame-rate is pretty dreadful.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
My big issue is the USB Dashcam feature is almost unusable due to constant freezing of the MCU. It almost always happens if I leave the car parked/Sentry Mode on for more than an hour or 2. I come back and the interface is frozen until I either reset it or remove the USB stick altogether. Was also happening periodically while driving. I put in a service request through the app last week and went back and forth with them describing the issue and circumstances it occurs. They said engineers were looking into it. This morning I got a reply from them that it's firmware issue they are working on correcting.

I haven't noticed any corruption like what's described in the videos that I have been able to get off the USB.