Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.20.4.4 broke scheduled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since v2019.20.4.4 my car no longer stops charging at night as it did before. I have it set to start charging at 11:30PM. That still happens but before when it reached the set top point (have mine set to 83%) it would stop charging until next day's scheduled time. Now it constantly tops off as it drains causing it to suck power out of the grid at expensive TOU (time of use) rates. So unfortunately now I have to wake up at 7:00 AM and unplug the car. What's worse is, if I don't unplug it, the topping off goes a few % above my set limit. In my case to 85%.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is this a bug or some new feature that has not be thought through?

How does one report bugs like this to Tesla other than the completely ineffective voice way from the car which doesn't allow any elaborate explanations?

Ever since v2019.20.4.4 my car no longer stops charging at night as it did before. I have it set to start charging at 11:30PM. That still happens but before when it reached the set top point (have mine set to 83%) it would stop charging until next day's scheduled time. Now it constantly tops off as it drains causing it to suck power out of the grid at expensive TOU (time of use) rates. So unfortunately now I have to wake up at 7:00 AM and unplug the car. What's worse is, if I don't unplug it, the topping off goes a few % above my set limit. In my case to 85%.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is this a bug or some new feature that has not be thought through?

How does one report bugs like this to Tesla other than the completely ineffective voice way from the car which doesn't allow any elaborate explanations?
I don't know if mine does that. How can one tell if it is topping off all day?

Do not know about car topping off all day. Mine is usually plugged in all weekend and would send send me notification if it starts or stops charging. Weekdays car is away so not having a chance to self top up even if it wanted.

I do however seem to notice, on multiple occasions, car goes 1-2% over the limit I have set (80%, I don't use distance as it seems useless). This is new, think it started since 2019.20.4.4. Don't think it was happening on 20.4.2. My charging is on NEMA 14-50 and charge starts at 11:30pm.

Reactions: Perry
I've noticed that when mine "overcharges" it's actually stopping properly, but the the SOC changes afterwards, possibly due to temperature. I've verified this by looking at the EVSE output from my data- it stops and doesn't draw any more, but the SOC changes between the end of charging and when I get in.

I spoke too soon, my car appears to have topped off this morning after my super off peak rate period, arrgh. Seems to be a bug with this latest version as I haven't noticed it before. Perhaps Tesla should allow you to include a charging window so you can be sure there is no topping off outside of super off peak for us TOU owners.

Reactions: Perry
I spoke too soon, my car appears to have topped off this morning after my super off peak rate period, arrgh. Seems to be a bug with this latest version as I haven't noticed it before. Perhaps Tesla should allow you to include a charging window so you can be sure there is no topping off outside of super off peak for us TOU owners.
Well it was working fine before this update. Once it reached your set limit it would not start charging again until the following day's scheduled window. They broke it now.

Try the various MCU resets, they should help. Double check your charging settings in the car. Both are at times required after an update. Our 3 is only on 2019.20.4.2 but is not seeing this problem. We are using scheduled charging for both cars.

It will draw power if you turn on climate, or Smart Preconditioning, while the car is plugged in. And climate can be on if a door is ajar.

Try the various MCU resets, they should help. Double check your charging settings in the car. Both are at times required after an update. Our 3 is only on 2019.20.4.2 but is not seeing this problem. We are using scheduled charging for both cars.

It will draw power if you turn on climate, or Smart Preconditioning, while the car is plugged in. And climate can be on if a door is ajar.
v2019.20.4.2 does not exhibit the problem. Problem came with 2019.20.4.4. None off the MCU resets work. All charging settings are OK.
Power should not be drawn post reaching the charge limit the first time after charging from designated start time no matter if anything is bringing the SOC down (climate control, sentry mode, etc.) This is to prevent power consumption during peek TOU rates. Charging should only start again at the next day's scheduled time. That's how it has been working before and it was great.

v2019.20.4.2 does not exhibit the problem. Problem came with 2019.20.4.4. None off the MCU resets work. All charging settings are OK.
Power should not be drawn post reaching the charge limit the first time after charging from designated start time no matter if anything is bringing the SOC down (climate control, sentry mode, etc.) This is to prevent power consumption during peek TOU rates. Charging should only start again at the next day's scheduled time. That's how it has been working before and it was great.
I honestly think the "start time" is a little silly and should just be replaced by a "charge window" setting that allows you to control when the car should be allowed to draw electricity.