Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain to me how getting out of one car and getting into another, interacting with no one at close range, is somehow incredibly dangerous or selfish? Who am I going to get the virus from? If I did get the virus - guess what, I'm already self-isolating and WFH.

I don't need to explain to you.

You have been asked by your Country to act. You are failing to do so for selfish reasons, to get a new car. All I need to say is shame on you!

Reactions: LK06
I was due to pick up from Bristol on Thursday but replied NO to the latest text.

I would have got a lift from my wife and could have done a contactless handover but felt it wouldn’t be right under these exceptional circumstances.

I have been looking forward to getting a Tesla since the Model 3 launch and, like many on here, have been tracking my car from San Francisco to Southampton. However, it’s not essential to pick the car up, and even if the handover is contactless, the cars are not disinfected and the rep told me that approx. 5-6 people will have been in the car since its arrival in UK.

I’m happy to reschedule. If the lockdown lasts longer than 6 weeks I may consider cancelling but I’ll just wait and see what happens.

Reactions: Masklin
I have responses as a ‘No’ but I rang about what would happen to the car. I was clearly told the car would not be allocated elsewhere, it’ll be available to pick up once allowable, but they put me on a sheet for potential delivery to home - no guarantee, but I asked and they said it was something they were looking at for those who cannot come to them.

let’s see, but the car is ‘secured’ I guess!

Have Bristol been in contact? Not sure what the police stance will be if pulled over on route/return?
Bristol haven't been in contact.

I just called them. They aren't doing deliveries, they don't have the facilities. The lady wasn't very clear, or I perhaps didn't ask well enough, exactly what rescheduling would mean in practice. They are still doing collections - they ask you to call them when you get there and someone will meet you in the open air car park.

I'm going ahead with my collection - as previously stated the risk is negligible. I am not going on public transport to get there, or interacting with any member of the public (except the Tesla rep - at distance). It will be no more risky than doing the handover of my Next return to the Hermes driver on the door step tonight.

EDIT: In terms of physical contact and it surviving on surfaces - are people batheing everything they buy from supermarkets in disinfectant, and wearing gloves & masks whilst shopping? I've been wearing a mask but will be upgrading to gloves, but haven't been dousing every item of shopping.

• Disagree
Reactions: LK06
Personally I hope to come out the other side of all this with a clear conscience. Bar very limited circumstances for a very limited number of people how does the average person travelling to pick up a new car fit with the instructions below? It doesn’t really matter what’s happening on building sites or suchlike, for me and the majority it should be pretty black and white and much as I’d have liked to collect today or any other day right now, it is not justifiable. No matter how convolutedly one tries in one’s mind to make it justifiable, it isn’t.

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons:

• Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

There are personal circumstances I can see where people would have to travel to collect their car.

What if your deemed as a "critical" worker and therefore need the car to travel to and from work, people may have sold their current car and are now in a situation where they are faced with continuing to travel on public transport which by the way in most places it seems are packed due to reduced services, and it's almost impossible to practice social distancing.

If access to another car is possible then is this still as critical? no, but not everyone has access to a second car. Is car sharing a possibility with a colleague possibly but not always the case. You'd need to think very carefully on safe alternatives before you collect but there are times when people may just need to go ahead.

If it were me I would be collecting my car and my justification is that my wife does not drive and relies on me to take her to and from work as a pharmacy dispenser. I'd rather take a smaller risk at this stage by collecting the car than asking my wife to travel on the train or bus which is putting HER at higher risk and putting the general public at higher risk as she is coming in close proximity to sick people already. We wouldn't have access to a second car that could take her to work and car sharing is not possible.

So yes there are circumstances where this travel is deemed necessary and I would even say that its a less risky journey than visiting a supermarket right now.

I don't need to explain to you.

You have been asked by your Country to act. You are failing to do so for selfish reasons, to get a new car. All I need to say is shame on you!

You have made the assumption that people round here have some intelligence so can't you accept that there are circumstances where it would be deemed necessary to proceed with collection?

There are personal circumstances I can see where people would have to travel to collect their car.

What if your deemed as a "critical" worker and therefore need the car to travel to and from work, people may have sold their current car and are now in a situation where they are faced with continuing to travel on public transport which by the way in most places it seems are packed due to reduced services, and it's almost impossible to practice social distancing.

If access to another car is possible then is this still as critical? no, but not everyone has access to a second car. Is car sharing a possibility with a colleague possibly but not always the case. You'd need to think very carefully on safe alternatives before you collect but there are times when people may just need to go ahead.

If it were me I would be collecting my car and my justification is that my wife does not drive and relies on me to take her to and from work as a pharmacy dispenser. I'd rather take a smaller risk at this stage by collecting the car than asking my wife to travel on the train or bus which is putting HER at higher risk and putting the general public at higher risk as she is coming in close proximity to sick people already. We wouldn't have access to a second car that could take her to work and car sharing is not possible.

So yes there are circumstances where this travel is deemed necessary and I would even say that its a less risky journey than visiting a supermarket right now.

There are valid reasons for picking up, and i would consider the example/your situation provided would meet the exceptional circumstances test, in my view - risk reward and key worker. It is however not for the public to judge risk when we have been asked not to do something ie safer than the supermarket - it might be (and in my view is safer) but that is not what we have been asked to do, for the benefit of everyone else.

Reactions: Masklin
I'll freely admit that I'm not an essential worker, and I don't need to pick up the car for essential reasons.

But, I'll sleep well at night knowing that I won't have infected a single person by picking it up.

It is a calculated risk in the same way going for a jog once a day, going to the supermarket, going to work (currently) even if you're not an essential worker is. The Government seems to be accepting of people cramming on the Tube still (check the news) so me hopping out of one car into another is probably a miniscule risk relative to that.

Oh, and I'll have to drive into work if something breaks there that I can't fix remotely to enable many others to not have to. I suppose I shouldn't do that either.

So I called again, because there's just no way collecting the car is sensible at this point.

They told me they can't arrange for home delivery, and don't even have a queuing system for these for non-essential deliveries yet. They also said they intend to formalise arrangements with 3P delivery companies before the end of the week.

At this point, I'm looking very hard at if I cancel the order outright. This situation was entirely foreseeable, and it appears it was completely unprepared for.

I appreciate there are circumstances where collecting now is still necessary, but for many people like myself it undoubtedly is not, it’s just a new car who’s timing has proved to be unfortunate. In which case the decision whether to travel to collect or not, in light of what the government requires, should be fairly straightforward despite the temptation to try and rationalise reasons otherwise.

Just been called by Bristol, who appreciate the situation. The car will currently be kept by them whilst they and Tesla UK try to decide what other options are feasible, such as home delivery. Hopefully going to be called back later in the week with an update.

Reactions: -Mat-
My conscience is absolutely clear. My need IS essential. The lack of one poses a risk to the lives of others.
If there were any other options available, I would take them. There are not.
I need the car for my care duties. I now haven’t got one having sold it. I have a plan B in place this week but that’s a real bottom line and cannot be extended.
I have carried out a risk assessment and collection poses minimal risk
I will sanitise the car completely before I drive away
The stark reality is that the only other regular ongoing trips I have to do are; the surgery, pharmacy and supermarket, all of which pose a far greater risk and in comparison, scares the life out of me each time I go.
Car collection is a situation that I can control without fear.

My conscience is absolutely clear. My need IS essential. The lack of one poses a risk to the lives of others.
If there were any other options available, I would take them. There are not.
I need the car for my care duties. I now haven’t got one having sold it. I have a plan B in place this week but that’s a real bottom line and cannot be extended.
I have carried out a risk assessment and collection poses minimal risk
I will sanitise the car completely before I drive away
The stark reality is that the only other regular ongoing trips I have to do are; the surgery, pharmacy and supermarket, all of which pose a far greater risk and in comparison, scares the life out of me each time I go.
Car collection is a situation that I can control without fear.

The difference Dilly is you are clearly a key worker and the car is essential - others are not and neither is the car - stay safe and thank you :D

Just been called by Bristol, who appreciate the situation. The car will currently be kept by them whilst they and Tesla UK try to decide what other options are feasible, such as home delivery. Hopefully going to be called back later in the week with an update.
Please can you update the thread if you hear more. They didn't say that delivery was an option when I called them.

Status
Not open for further replies.