Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been on 2019.28.3.1 for about a week. When driving on Autosteer on a 2 way traffic road, on 2 occasions the car has chosen to move to a left turn lane instead of continuing straight through. I’ve had to wrest control to continue driving straight through.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I’ve been on 2019.28.3.1 for about a week. When driving on Autosteer on a 2 way traffic road, on 2 occasions the car has chosen to move to a left turn lane instead of continuing straight through. I’ve had to wrest control to continue driving straight through.

Autosteer is explicitly not intended for use on roads with 2-way undivided traffic and turn lanes

This has happened to me a couple times, however, it hasn't happened since on the same spots it had issues with.

They certainly don't disallow it being turned on like they to for NOA.

They don't disallow you driving off a cliff either but it's also a bad idea.

Seriously though- read the manual- it repeatedly makes clear autosteer is intended for divided, limited access, highways where there's on/off ramps and all cars are going the same direction with no cross-traffic.

Seriously though- read the manual- it repeatedly makes clear autosteer is intended for divided, limited access, highways where there's on/off ramps and all cars are going the same direction with no cross-traffic.
My manual says this:
"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."
Your manual my be different.

My manual says this:
"Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."
Your manual my be different.

That says what he said it said.

Except for the parts about divided ... on/off ramps and all cars are going the same direction with no cross-traffic.
Perhaps that's inferred or it depends on where you live.

Perhaps. What’s a “highway” or “limited-access” road? To me that means it’s not a road you can just turn onto or off of. You have to merge on or off.

Or maybe “limited” amounts of access? That would mean rare turn-offs and turn-ons?

Certainly it says in the same paragraph though not to use it on city streets, or where cyclists or pedestrians could be.

I would say a highway has no pedestrians crossing it.

Except for the parts about divided ... on/off ramps and all cars are going the same direction with no cross-traffic.
Perhaps that's inferred or it depends on where you live.

No, it's from what the words mean.

Limited access highways are divided roads with all cars going in the same direction.

If there's cross traffic, turn lanes, opposing traffic, then it's not limited access at all.

In fact when the two idiots who didn't read the manual died on Autopilot by smashing into cross-traffic semis that's exactly why Tesla wasn't to blame for the accidents.

In the first case the NHTSA report explicitly pointed that out... (AFAIK the report isn't out on the second one yet- but same circumstances and same type of road)

No, it's from what the words mean.

Limited access highways are divided roads with all cars going in the same direction.

If there's cross traffic, turn lanes, opposing traffic, then it's not limited access at all.

In fact when the two idiots who didn't read the manual died on Autopilot by smashing into cross-traffic semis that's exactly why Tesla wasn't to blame for the accidents.

In the first case the NHTSA report explicitly pointed that out... (AFAIK the report isn't out on the second one yet- but same circumstances and same type of road)

Except it says “highways” and “limited access roads”, not “limited access highways” ... so I guess there’s some places where a non-limited access road is called a highway is what I think their point was.

To match what you are saying it should say “limited access highways and limited access roads”, or perhaps equivalently but more ambiguously “limited access highways and roads”, or “limited access roads and highways”.

Maybe some editor switched some words around to “make it sound better” and changed the meaning :)
e.g. taking my 3rd suggestion “limited access roads and highways” and editing it to “highways and limited access roads”.

Last edited:
Except it says “highways” and “limited access roads”, not “limited access highways” ... so I guess there’s some places where a non-limited access road is called a highway is what I think their point was.

To match what you are saying it should say “limited access highways and limited access roads”, or perhaps equivalently but more ambiguously “limited access highways and roads”, or “limited access roads and highways”.

Maybe some editor switched some words around to “make it sound better” and changed the meaning :)
e.g. taking my 2nd suggestion “limited access roads and highways” and editing it to “highways and limited access roads”.

I mean you can NAME the road anything you want- but that doesn't change the rules controlled access. (in fact later in the entry it cites a few examples of roads that are CALLED one type but are actually a different type based on their access controls)

Controlled-access highway - Wikipedia

"A controlled-access highway is a type of highway that has been designed for high-speed vehicular traffic, with all traffic flow ingress- and egress-regulated

and

A controlled-access highway provides an unhindered flow of traffic, with no traffic signals, intersections or property access. They are free of any at-grade crossings with other roads, railways, or pedestrian paths, which are instead carried by overpasses and underpasses. Entrances and exits to the highway are provided at interchanges by slip roads (ramps), which allow for speed changes between the highway and arterials and collector roads. On the controlled-access highway, opposing directions of travel are generally separated by a median strip or central reservation containing a traffic barrier or grass. Elimination of conflicts with other directions of traffic dramatically improves safety and capacity.

I mean you can NAME the road anything you want- but that doesn't change the rules controlled access. (in fact later in the entry it cites a few examples of roads that are CALLED one type but are actually a different type based on their access controls)

Controlled-access highway - Wikipedia

Ya, but first sentence “A controlled-access highway is a type of highway

and Tesla says “highway” only ... where does Tesla say controlled-access highway?

Highway - Wikipedia

“A highway is any public or private road or other public way on land. It is used for major roads, but also includes other public roads and public tracks: It is not an equivalent term to controlled-access highway

Does it really matter what the manual says other than CYA for Tesla?

I mean, using AP/TACC or NOA it doesn’t take long to understand that it’s a totally primitive system intended to be used in the most simple, basic driving scenarios. Don’t shoot the messenger ;) it’s basically what Tesla says!

It’s obvious that it can’t hold a lane reliably enough or detect objects reliably enough to use it on a city street or anywhere with cross traffic.

As Tesla (redundantly) states in the manual, it’s essentially a novelty for people who enjoy supervising a computer “driving” the thing on a perfectly marked highway. It can’t even detect traffic cones. LOL!

Does it really matter what the manual says other than CYA for Tesla?

I mean, using AP/TACC or NOA it doesn’t take long to understand that it’s a totally primitive system intended to be used in the most simple, basic driving scenarios. Don’t shoot the messenger ;) it’s basically what Tesla says!

It’s obvious that it can’t hold a lane reliably enough or detect objects reliably enough to use it on a city street or anywhere with cross traffic.

As Tesla (redundantly) states in the manual, it’s essentially a novelty for people who enjoy supervising a computer “driving” the thing on a perfectly marked highway. It can’t even detect traffic cones. LOL!

That’s why I like my primitive 2018 Subaru Eyesight system for basic driver aids and safety. Very reliable and dependable for what it’s “advertised” as being able to do. No parlor tricks or gimmicks. No surprises or near misses either.

Ya, but first sentence “A controlled-access highway is a type of highway

and Tesla says “highway” only ... where does Tesla say controlled-access highway?

Highway - Wikipedia

“A highway is any public or private road or other public way on land. It is used for major roads, but also includes other public roads and public tracks: It is not an equivalent term to controlled-access highway

You seem to be missing the limited-access part right in the manual

Or (for the footpath bit in your other post) the stuff in the manual about not using it any place bikes or pedestrians are likely to be.

(I'd also expect the UK manual might read a little different, but I don't actually know if that's the case)