Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.50.5 installing now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or don't bug fixes work this way?
Tesla's software rollouts don't work this way. It's kinda like this... every VIN in a database at Tesla along with what version of the software they expect that car to have. The car connects to Tesla, the database is checked, and if the currently installed version is the same as the database version, nothing is downloaded. IF not, the database version is downloaded.

As we know, they don't update every single car at the same moment. They roll it out over a few days/weeks. So If my car has x.x.1, even though x.x.3 might be rolling out to some, when my car checks, it might get x.x.2 is the expected current version for my car, and do an update to an "older" version.

This isn't like Apple where when the new iOS drops, every single device will show that new on as the "current" one.

Reactions: JBT66
Tesla's software rollouts don't work this way. It's kinda like this... every VIN in a database at Tesla along with what version of the software they expect that car to have. The car connects to Tesla, the database is checked, and if the currently installed version is the same as the database version, nothing is downloaded. IF not, the database version is downloaded.

As we know, they don't update every single car at the same moment. They roll it out over a few days/weeks. So If my car has x.x.1, even though x.x.3 might be rolling out to some, when my car checks, it might get x.x.2 is the expected current version for my car, and do an update to an "older" version.

This isn't like Apple where when the new iOS drops, every single device will show that new on as the "current" one.

I realise that, but why continue rolling out a bugged version when there is a fixed version available? You would think they would stop rolling a bugged version, and roll out the version with the fixes instead? If the bugged version caused problems, then Tesla are negligent as they continued to roll out a version with known issues when an alternative version is available.

I suspect there are more than bug fixes being rolled out and minor versions give them an opportunity to do comparative tests between fundamentally the same code base.

I realise that, but why continue rolling out a bugged version when there is a fixed version available? You would think they would stop rolling a bugged version, and roll out the version with the fixes instead? If the bugged version caused problems, then Tesla are negligent as they continued to roll out a version with known issues when an alternative version is available.

I suspect there are more than bug fixes being rolled out and minor versions give them an opportunity to do comparative tests between fundamentally the same code base.
I'm guessing it's because the bugs may not be applicable to all configurations of the car. For example, the bug fixes could be for FSD features only, or dual motor configs, etc.

And of course, like you said they may be trialing bug fixes/changes and need a sufficient pool of both in order to compare.

drove 50.5 today and found that AP seems to ping pong less trying to avoid driving next to trucks etc.
It seems to stay much closer to the center of the lane which much less wandering around.
@VanillaAir_UK I'm supposing that the cars getting older versions are for configurations that prefer the older configs or aren't exhibiting bugs fixed in this release but maybe are exercising features that work better in the release they are getting.
Remember that with this development model not every release is automatically fixing everything in the previous release, so maybe 40.x fixed bug A but 50.x fixed bug B and not bug A, then at some point in the future they will be merged a a new version.
You will also see releases go out to just Model 3 or just Model S/X etc

I haven't really measured the wh/mile usage but the battery report I got from Teslafi. In general I have seen slight ups and downs after my daily charges but with the installation of the 50.5 it really dropped within 2 days by 9 miles max range with is a lot compared to what I've seen over the 14 months that I own my Model 3. In particular the first night after installing I didn't charge the battery so this comes from the software upgrade itself. I have seem something similar back in May or June last year when the range dropped from 310s under 300 but eventually it recovered again. I hope this will be the same with the next upgrades.