Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.7.105 (w/hw3?) center display went black while on freeway for my wife an hour ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a service appointment for this very same problem. Is there something that can be done or is this appointment going to just be a waste of time? Seems like it should be able to be taken care of remotely. Have those of you who have posted just stopped worrying about it and just continued happily on your way prepared to do a reboot if necessary? Or have you received a successful remedy to prevent it in the future? I had a couple of friends riding with me and as well as being annoying, it was very embarrassing. Haven't had this problem with our S P95D. Do they have different OS?

I picked up my Model S at Fremont in late December. I had no problems for months. I absolutely love it, but in late March through most of April, after an update, odd things happened. The screen went black while I was running down I-5 at a pretty good clip, in the fast lane with heavy traffic on my tail and a line of semis to my right. Couldn’t move anywhere, in tight traffic at 75 mph. Freaked me right out. Since I couldn’t do anything, I rode it out and it rebooted in its own in about a minute. It happened twice again over a couple of weeks. Then the backup display weirded out. The cam seemed out, I had a pure black background instead of a real image, and a representation of my car located BEHIND the guide lines. Took it to service, and it all cleared up when they installed 2019.12.1.1

• Informative
Reactions: dloop
Happened again for my wife and daughter today. Much less eventful this time. They were in a parking lot at a trailhead for a hike they had returned from. She rebooted. Car came back fine.

2019.12.1.# can't come fast enough though. We should be getting our license plates any day, and as I'm still out of state from her if I'll suggest that she have the Tesla SC put them on. Maybe they can update the software while she is there then too.

Happened again for my wife and daughter today. Much less eventful this time. They were in a parking lot at a trailhead for a hike they had returned from. She rebooted. Car came back fine.

2019.12.1.# can't come fast enough though. We should be getting our license plates any day, and as I'm still out of state from her if I'll suggest that she have the Tesla SC put them on. Maybe they can update the software while she is there then too.
I wouldn’t count on the software update eliminating this issue completely. I still don’t understand why anyone would panic in this situation in the first place. The car clearly still drives just the same. Even if the turn signals didn’t work when the screen is out (they absolutely do work) you can still drive safely.

Neptunesfinest, honestly curious, do you believe it should be a requirement for Tesla to mention to new buyers that this may happen, explain that the car is still drivable, and to walk them through the reboot process as part of their delivery?

Neptunesfinest, honestly curious, do you believe it should be a requirement for Tesla to mention to new buyers that this may happen, explain that the car is still drivable, and to walk them through the reboot process as part of their delivery?
I think that would help avoid dangerous situations. I’ve read so many posts about people panicking about it and it seems to be quite a common occurrence. If people were aware that the screen going black doesn’t affect any critical systems then I don’t think they would panic.

You would think though that the very fact that people don’t lose power or steering and are able to pull over in these “emergency” situations would alert them to the fact that all critical systems are a go. But I digress.

Reactions: dloop
We train airline pilots how to fly an airplane manually when the onboard computer systems fail. Why wouldn’t we do the same thing for owners of Tesla vehicles? If a driver doesn’t understand how the car functions during a computer crash how could they be expected to properly respond to the crash without panicking? Not everyone who buys a Tesla is computer savvy. If Tesla wants to be the safest vehicle on the market they have to incorporate proper training procedures to ensure that safety is being taken seriously.

Just hold the 2 steering wheel buttons in for about 5 seconds. Within 30 seconds all will reboot. It’s like control alt delete in windows. You can do this while driving. A harder reboot is to Park and go to the security system settings and click power off (it asks you to confirm I think). You have to do this while in park. Again, it will reboot shortly but in my experience fixes software things that the two button reboot doesn’t fix
Thank you!

Well it happen to me and it was not fun, went black and then lines like old TV in the scary pictures, I don't read all the Forum notes and I guess I am new on this, but I can tell you I didnt like it, and i dont expect something like this to happen in a new car, or to be honest, to anyone with Tesla. I had to go to a place at that time, and my wife was worry, but I imagine she cant drive me when she is not close to me at that moment (she has another car). No, I didnt have any problems, I didnt see anything on the screen for 5-10 minutes, but the car drove without problems. It was daytime. Maybe some of you guys who are more experienced on this can tell me: When is not safe to drive? and also an inocent question, who we can call at that time? Is a number we can contact?