Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 First release of traffic light detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
From Reddit:

Software Update Version 2019.8.3 “Autosteer Stop Light Warning” : teslamotors

2EEA00A7-A56B-4E6E-9709-786BE4F3A04E.jpeg

So it looks like the initial releases of this are coming on the current hardware. Will be interesting to see what configs get it (EAP, FSD, Standard AP?)

Do you have FSD? I wonder if it is the first FSD release?

Absolutely 100% first FSD release. Achieves 2 things: early proof of concept AND Tesla can now “realize” all the FSD $$$ they collected (especially in the recent FSD “fire sale”) on their first quarter 2019 balance sheet to offset slower S and X sales

This is a safety feature and as such will most likely be rolled out to all cars with the proper hardware. (AP 2.0)

This is a safety feature and as such will most likely be rolled out to all cars with the proper hardware. (AP 2.0)
Nice try, but definitely not a base level safety feature. Already listed as a FSD feature.
A real safety feature would be the car analyzing your driving and disabling the steering wheel if you are a danger to other road users. I can just imagine the complaints about that :D

I am very happy to see this feature. I realize it is a beta feature and falls short of the full "traffic light recognition" feature but it's a good start. Once Tesla collects a ton of real world data from this feature, they will be able to go to the next step of having the car actually stop at the red light. But this is an important first step because the car has to first be able to correctly see the red light 100% of the time.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm confused--what roads/highways am I currently 'allowed' to use EAP on that have stoplights??

Well, that is an interesting question. Maybe this technically only applies to when a limited access freeway ends and converts to a highway with stop lights?

Will be interesting to see the user manual update associated with this release. I am sure it will be full of “don’t use AP except on highways, but if you do choose to use it on city streets, we might still warn you about running red lights. Wink, wink”

Reactions: Trevlan006
I am sure it will be full of “don’t use AP except on highways, but if you do choose to use it on city streets, we might still warn you about running red lights. Wink, wink”

That is pretty much what it says already.

Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed.