Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 M3 63000 miles LR 279 mile 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Have a 2019 LR model 3 with performance boost. I charge almost exclusively on mobile charger 240v. 63000 miles showing 251 miles at 90% SOC. Is this normal, this appears to be about a 10% loss in range from New? I had a2018 model x with 93k miles only lost 6% and it was supercharged quite a bit more than the 3. Thoughts?

From what I’ve read, it is just as likely the BMS is simply underestimating range as anything. One member wrote up a months-long quest to fix it, involving deliberately parking the vehicle overnight at varying SOCs.…. But it seems like a lot more thought than I really care about yet.

Switch the battery indicator to percentage and you’ll stop caring ;) .

Here is some light reading if you are really concerned:

I had a2018 model x with 93k miles only lost 6% and it was supercharged quite a bit more than the 3.
For that Model X vehicle, no idea what the degradation threshold (effectively a top buffer) was, or whether there was an actual top buffer. (This would be relatively easy to determine for an owner if they paid close attention since new, but again I don’t follow all the SMT readback data on those vehicles.)

Also different cells.

These factors could easily account for observed 4-5% difference.

It’s entirely possible the % loss is approximately the same is what I am saying. (But further close examination of the Model X initial and final capacity would be needed.)

The BMS thinks your car has 68.3kWh, or at least 11.2% reduction from the “new” 77.8kWh (which may have been as high as 78.x kWh). This is normal.

My 2019 M3P with 55K miles now gives a number of 285-290 range at 100% charge, around 260 or so at 90% charge. A 7% estimated change. The numbers read a bit differently from the 305-310 miles or so estimated range when newer bit in truth the actual range is roughly the same. Meaning, I drive the same 150-mile interstate commute twice a week and arrive at my destination with roughly the same reported remaining range.

Reactions: Lindenwood
This question gets asked in one way or another about ten times a week.

251 is within the normal range. My 2018 AWD 3 with 50k miles is floating around 257 miles at 90%.

its probably closer to 30 times a week, actually, lol...

Anyway, for OP, my 2018 Model 3P charged exclusively on my home mobile charger (supercharged <6 times in its existence) shows 249 miles charge at 90%. It has 38k miles on it.

These numbers seem to be exceedingly normal for this car. Of course, for more discourse on it, you can look through the 250+ page "battery" thread in this subforum, but TL ; DR -- "normal".

* 9%. (The start point of 310 “cleverly” concealed about 2%.)
Wrong! It's clearly and without dispute exactly 7.213478034% change if you divide by the common denominator once you subtract the fraction of pending exchange. Look at the linear offset of the differential equation and divide by 4. And don't forget to carry the one........