Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 MS 75D vs 2019 MS Short Range

Which option would you go for?

• Option A - 2019 Model S 75D

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Option B - 2019 Model S Short Range

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! Potential Tesla owner here looking for some advice!

With the recent news of the newer motor/suspension and various improvements on the 2019 Model S and X, seems like Tesla Australia is trying to move the old S 75D inventory to make way for the newer models.

Basically the options come down to the following:

A)
Inventory Stock
2019 Model S 75D
490km Range NEDC
4.4 Seconds 0-100
Autopilot Hardware (is this what they refer to as autopilot 2.5 hardware?)
Roughly $109,795
Autopilot NOT activated
upload_2019-4-29_11-15-19.png

B)
Custom Order
2019 Model S Short Range
490km Range NEDC
4.2 Seconds 0-100
Newer Autopilot Hardware (3.0?)
Newer Suspension
Auto Pilot Standard
$133,566
upload_2019-4-29_11-14-7.png

Just wondering if you were in my position what you would go for considering the 75D represents about a $24K saving (maybe a bit less after activating autopilot)?

Any other pitfalls or things I should watch out for if going for the 'older' 75D?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all! Potential Tesla owner here looking for some advice!

With the recent news of the newer motor/suspension and various improvements on the 2019 Model S and X, seems like Tesla Australia is trying to move the old S 75D inventory to make way for the newer models.

Basically the options come down to the following:

A)
Inventory Stock
2019 Model S 75D
490km Range NEDC
4.4 Seconds 0-100
Autopilot Hardware (is this what they refer to as autopilot 2.5 hardware?)
Roughly $109,795
Autopilot NOT activated
View attachment 401807

B)
Custom Order
2019 Model S Short Range
490km Range NEDC
4.2 Seconds 0-100
Newer Autopilot Hardware (3.0?)
Newer Suspension
Auto Pilot Standard
$133,566
View attachment 401804

Just wondering if you were in my position what you would go for considering the 75D represents about a $24K saving (maybe a bit less after activating autopilot)?

Any other pitfalls or things I should watch out for if going for the 'older' 75D?

Thanks in advance!
I think I heard some sources that the Standard Range is a software-locked long range? If this is true, that's a huge benefit:
- 75kwh batteries can only supercharge to 100kw or 42kw on CHAdeMO vs 150kw (coming shortly) or 50kw on CHAdeMO
- You will be able to pay a fee and upgrade to long range if you decide to in future.
- You could charge to 100% battery all the time as there's a software locked headroom there that will prevent damage to the battery.
- Better resale value having the 100kwh battery compared to the 75kwh.

Of course confirm my understanding before moving forward.

I think I heard some sources that the Standard Range is a software-locked long range?

If that's true that's a very big benefit! I'll have to do some searching on that topic.

Obviously the Short Range is going to be a better resale value but there's 24k saving straight up. 24k in my pocket now as opposed to perhaps a speculative 10-15k (or whatever you think it may be worth) come resale time. hmmm

Reactions: mike_j
It was true for a very brief window. After a couple of weeks people receiving standard range cars weighed them and confirmed although it is the same pack it has less cells in it (by weight).

I think the newer car will be more efficient, suspension is better, the charge rate should be better but I'd personally prefer the 20k in my pocket. 20k would buy multiple ap3.0 upgrades so don't let that be a factor. If it is really a concern just add fsd.

Reactions: mike_j
I just wish they would release more information about what the new updates are in the S & x for 2019 so I can make a better informed decision.

Can anyone comment on how the 'fully adaptive air suspension' will compare to the air suspension that was in the S & X range prior to the update?

I just wish they would release more information about what the new updates are in the S & x for 2019 so I can make a better informed decision.

Can anyone comment on how the 'fully adaptive air suspension' will compare to the air suspension that was in the S & X range prior to the update?

All new orders on S & X come with the latest hardware. FSD Samsung chip, most efficient battery pack with latest configurations, etc etc. It is like buying any new tech. It will continually improve, and whatever and whenever you buy, it will be quickly be outdated and reduce in value.
Look to what is more important for you ie range, power, price, options etc and choose what is best for your situation. Whatever Tesla you select, it will be better than whatever other make and model is out there.
Re: fully adaptive air suspension Tesla’s adaptive suspension is the perfect complement to its self-driving neural net

Reactions: LDCRS
Tough call. The newer version comes with an updated front motor which is meant to grant increased range due to better efficiency. Faster charging potential, better suspension, and apparently "re-engineered several other components". But yeah, is that worth $20k? Only you can decide that for yourself.

Oh, apparently it's also 4.55% faster (4.2 instead of 4.4).

The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I got the 75D similar to what you listed about a month ago. They were already heavily discounting on inventory although not as much as they did for you. I’d save $20k if I was you tbh. You can activate AP and FSD for 60 days after delivery and decide if you want it.

I bought a 75D in December last year a few months before the discounts started coming in. Others will say they got stung buying just before the new front came out or just before the new auto pilot came out. I was feeling all ripped off and I would say that is what you are actually trying to avoid. To me the 75D for 109 is a bargain as its $20k less than I paid 6 months ago. The question you want to ask yourself is when do you want it? if you want it now get the inventory, if you can wait get the newer version but beware, things will change and you may pay more for full self driving or be able to buy the same car for cheaper when yours arrives. Who cares? this has been happening with regular ICE cars for years. buy one and start enjoying your magical space car.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is the AP2.5 will be swapped with AP3.0 board if/when I purchase FSD so the 75D would be the same as the SR (in terms of FSD)
When I purchased my 75d last sept I was told it has all the hardware necessary for FSD. It was on the website and yes I printed a copy. I chose not to buy the FSD software which it also said was available later. I can only assume therefore that the chip in mine will be replaced, although I cant see FSD getting the green light in aust anytime soon.
Tesla tech moves fast, so if you buy the latest it wont be the latest in 6 months. There is also no evidence that you loose more with a 75d compared to a short or long range in percentage terms. A long range performance is a very different market to a 75D.
Mine are city cars. I can easily go 2 weeks without charging, and even then its only 50%. My advice is dont pay for range or acceleration that you dont need, and dont get excited about FSD in australia. Autopilot has a very long way to go......but regardless of what model or age you buy, fantastic car.

Reactions: Petergarrett38
Mine is mostly city as well. If you get FSD, they will do free upgrade to AP3 HW according to Elon. Still it is probably years away in Australia. By the time it is ready I can get refreshed S with AP4 and other stuff. I think of it like iPhone. What is the lowest entry point that meets my needs because I know I might be very tempted to upgrade in 2 years.

Reactions: Petergarrett38