Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 TESLA MODEL X SMART SUMMON FAIL - HITS A POST!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well as the title suggests, it happened on the 2nd time using this feature. Before going further it is my first time posting here and my first time with a Model X (my brothers car). Model X is amazing car as it is and we were excited to use the Smart Summon feature but it failed on us. I really hope it is worked on further to be improved. Detail description and video link below.

Got a new 2019 Tesla Model X LR with FSD that comes with the smart Summon Feature. We started the feature in a empty parking lot at night time (around 8:00pm). No cars of people in the area just curbs and sign posts. Thought the car would very easily navigate this obstacle course and easily summon. The first summon worked very well, it turned right, avoided a sign post and came to the correct spot. The 2nd attempt did not go so well, it avoid the 1st sign post but hit the second one. Luckily the car noticed its mistake at the last moment and stopped right in front of the post, luckily the damage was only to the bottom front of the plastic trim piece (a small line/dent). Good think it did not hit a person. This was my first time trying this feature and probably will not try it again in a while!!! **Car was clean, sensors and camera were clean, connected to iPhone 11 and connection was 100% stable, charge on car was over 50%, area had a lot of light.

...night time (around 8:00pm)...area had a lot of light.

Would you think it would work better in bright daylight? It still looks dark with night lights to me.

...sign posts...

You chose a parking lot with so many thin posts. Would you think it would work better bigger, wider posts like the concrete ones?

...The first summon worked very well...

I agree with @cypho that the first summon worked terribly because as a machine, it needs to follow its protocol and obeys all traffic laws and it should not cut across painted lines.

...This was my first time...

Many have posted smart summon when it first came out and had pretty much the same result as you did: It turns out that it is not "smart" after all!

Would you think it would work better in bright daylight? It still looks dark with night lights to me.

You chose a parking lot with so many thin posts. Would you think it would work better bigger, wider posts like the concrete ones?

I agree with @cypho that the first summon worked terribly because as a machine, it needs to follow its protocol and obeys all traffic laws and it should not cut across painted lines.

Many have posted smart summon when it first came out and had pretty much the same result as you did: It turns out that it is not "smart" after all!
The truth is it is far from perfect and should not really be used. I have a lot of summon videos where the car just cuts across any open space instead of following a path. Lets hope it is improved!! Not sure if more light would have helped but I am not trying again in daylight haha!

Not fully related but whenever i use smart summon the windshield wipers always turn on and keep wiping through the entire summon. Does anyone else have this issue?
I've been experiencing the same issue lately with my MX using Smart Summons. Wipers come on in what appears to be "Auto with low rain sensitivity" mode. Windshield is not dirty, it's day time and not a cloud in the sky. Wiper control set to off on the stalk. Wipers stop after I get into the vehicle and drive away. Didn't use to do this when the feature first came out. Not sure how long this has been happening, but I'd say at least 6 months or more.

Per the OP's post, I seldom use the Summons feature - primarily due to failures and inconsistent performance. Most definitely not ready for prime time!