Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 vs 2020 vs 2021 model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used model 3 long range. Assuming that one has full self driving as an option (which I think assumes HW 3.0) and appreciate the subtle range differences, I'm a little confused as to the major differences between the 2019 vs 2020 vs 2021 years and whether one would suggest going to the 2021/2020 versions over say 2019 with FSD, 300 mile range.

thanks.

I had a 19 and now I have a 22. The 22 is overall a better put together car. The laminated glass is much better for sound and the heated wheel is great. The only think you really miss out on is the frunk is smaller on the new ones and the door pockets are smaller. The wheel is also fake leather now.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I had a 19 and now I have a 22. The 22 is overall a better put together car. The laminated glass is much better for sound and the heated wheel is great. The only think you really miss out on is the frunk is smaller on the new ones and the door pockets are smaller. The wheel is also fake leather now.
you are also missing passenger front lumbar support, have one speaker less, and most recently no more parking sensors and the tires will be Hankook for the SR/AWD models and no longer Michelin's ...

laminated glass and more range are nice - but the heatpump isn't a big selling point south of Mason-Dixon / in California

21s still had the lumbar for the passenger though and sensors for parking. Not sure when they swapped tires but in all honesty you probably wont notice outside of a track. Which speaker is missing though? I didnt know about that one.

Interesting how that person heard a difference before knowing the center speaker was gone.

When I last A/B'd my home stereo with and without its matching center channel, I felt the center added nothing. At least not from any seating positions that I cared about. However I don't believe that center had any unique drivers, it just had the same tweeter and mids as the towers.

Maybe the now-missing Tesla tweeter was more unique within the Tesla sound system? Or something about the car seating position / environment makes a center speaker more worthwhile? Or my ears just aren't golden enough?

Interesting how that person heard a difference before knowing the center speaker was gone.

When I last A/B'd my home stereo with and without its matching center channel, I felt the center added nothing. At least not from any seating positions that I cared about. However I don't believe that center had any unique drivers, it just had the same tweeter and mids as the towers.

Maybe the now-missing Tesla tweeter was more unique within the Tesla sound system? Or something about the car seating position / environment makes a center speaker more worthwhile? Or my ears just aren't golden enough?
assuming Tesla didn't go through the effort/costs and have their sound system supplier add a tweeter from the beginning just for "shits and giggles" ... I'm sure that tweeter added *something* to the overall sound experience... night/day difference? nah. unlikely. But quietly cutting back on the "premium sound system" is sneaky... but very Tesla.

laminated glass and more range are nice - but the heatpump isn't a big selling point south of Mason-Dixon / in California

Actually.... the heat pump is a great thing here in CA. Heat pumps are effective, but less effective the closer they get to freezing. Its actually more effective here, than places where it gets really cold.

My wifes model 2022 Model YP and my 2018 Model 3 P have almost the same efficiency, despite the fact that the Y is bigger, heavier, etc. Its supposed to be 10% different per tesla from what I remember, but they are almost the same.

Heat pumps are great here, better than someplace that actually has snow for winter.

Reactions: tm1v2
Actually.... the heat pump is a great thing here in CA. Heat pumps are effective, but less effective the closer they get to freezing. Its actually more effective here, than places where it gets really cold.

My wifes model 2022 Model YP and my 2018 Model 3 P have almost the same efficiency, despite the fact that the Y is bigger, heavier, etc. Its supposed to be 10% different per tesla from what I remember, but they are almost the same.

Heat pumps are great here, better than someplace that actually has snow for winter.
My experience is the same as @jjrandorin. The Model 3 heat pump is exceptionally efficient in a climate where it gets chilly but not extreme cold. It's much better than the resistive heater in our older Tesla. I believe the heat pump would be very useful on colder days and evenings in @SSGP90X NM location.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
My experience is the same as @jjrandorin. The Model 3 heat pump is exceptionally efficient in a climate where it gets chilly but not extreme cold. It's much better than the resistive heater in our older Tesla. I believe the heat pump would be very useful on colder days and evenings in @SSGP90X NM location.
Same. In Seattle, we have pretty mild temps (40-75F) and my old 2018 Model 3 LR RWD w/ resistive heater had a lifetime 290wh/mi.

Over 12k miles of the same driving in the same climate in our 2022 Model Y LR w/ heat pump has a lifetime 289wh/mi.

Same. In Seattle, we have pretty mild temps (40-75F) and my old 2018 Model 3 LR RWD w/ resistive heater had a lifetime 290wh/mi.

Over 12k miles of the same driving in the same climate in our 2022 Model Y LR w/ heat pump has a lifetime 289wh/mi.
That doesn't seem very efficient at all for either car. I went from a 2019 LR that averaged 274wh/mi to a 2022 about to enter my first winter in New Hampshire. It is a lot colder here than in Seattle. Thus far in the fall the efficiency has been so much better when I've used the heat pump compared to the 2019.
Are you surprised about the Model Y 289 number?

I went from a 2019 LR to a 2022 LR. In addition to the quieter ride and efficient heat pump, I thoroughly enjoy the extra 60 miles of range that the 2022 gets. My family loves the turbo/faster charging speeds that come out of the USB-C ports now. No need for a high speed charging setup for my Android that is jammed into the cigarette lighter anymore LOL

That doesn't seem very efficient at all for either car. I went from a 2019 LR that averaged 274wh/mi to a 2022 about to enter my first winter in New Hampshire. It is a lot colder here than in Seattle. Thus far in the fall the efficiency has been so much better when I've used the heat pump compared to the 2019.
@toolman335 Lifetime Wh/mi is heavily influenced by driving style and the roads you drive on. My M3P's lifetime Wh/mi is probably higher (I'll check today), but when I drive like an average driver on the road, its efficiency is perfectly good, so the high average isn't the car, it's me. ;)

Also @jjrandorin has M3P and MYP, I believe both with PUP wheels and performance tires. The big heavy wheels and performance tires are the reason why M3P/MYP have lower efficiency than M3LR/MYLR, you just won't see the same efficiency on those wheels as you would with the base wheels and efficiency-focused tires.

@toolman335 Lifetime Wh/mi is heavily influenced by driving style and the roads you drive on. My M3P's lifetime Wh/mi is probably higher (I'll check today), but when I drive like an average driver on the road, its efficiency is perfectly good, so the high average isn't the car, it's me. ;)

Also @jjrandorin has M3P and MYP, I believe both with PUP wheels and performance tires. The big heavy wheels and performance tires are the reason why M3P/MYP have lower efficiency than M3LR/MYLR, you just won't see the same efficiency on those wheels as you would with the base wheels and efficiency-focused tires.

My "lifetime dont reset" wh/mi on my model 3P is like 273, which is particularly good considering I have Tesla zero g referral wheels I have been rolling around on since I got them from the referral program myself. Before that, I had the stock 20s (that are not uberturbines since those were not available).

I drive on PS4S summer tires year round here (pretty common to ride around on summer tires year round here if you never go up to the mountains or anything). I have had "summer tires only" for like 15 years here where I live.

All that to say, I have 20 inch sticky summer tires on my car, and have had them on there since I bought it 4 years ago, along with swapping from the stock 20s to 20s with even less aerodynamics, and my wh/mi is 273 which proves I drive very mildly the vast majority of the time.

My wifes Model Y P is like 277 or something, I would have to look to see but its very similar.

Honestly, my LR RWD always had much higher wh/mi than any others I've seen posted before. I had the 19" wheels and roof rack, and I go into the mountains lots of weekends. I also make lots of short trips in a very hilly Seattle which seems to be much more inefficient than on long highway road trips where I would average close to 265wh/mi.

I am surprised by the MY's efficiency (no aero caps and roof rack) because it has a much bigger footprint and is heavier. I don't ever drive for efficiency and that shows in my lifetime wh/mi. When I put it on autopilot on long roadtrips it's about 5-10% more efficient than I am.

Reactions: toolman335