Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.12 Unlocked additional range up to a "long range plus"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely because your car was possibly manufactured in late 2019. OP states in his post that this applies to cars manufactured from January 2020 and onwards.
Very possible. He needs to check the sticker on the inside of the driver door frame to be sure. In any case obsessing over 5 miles of range is ridiculous because actual range has much more to do with driving style and speed.

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and croman
Rated = epa efficiency * pack capacity. Epa is per model. Mine is 289wh/mile. Raven substantially less. I can use algebra to calculate. Nothing hard or complex. No McDonald's mystery sauce.

Dude you’re missing the point. The point is pack capacity changes over time and it isn’t an easy thing to measure. The car estimates it based on energy moving in and out, voltages, and accounting for uneven balancing. My original point simply was the full charge range indicated by the car is not necessarily an exact reflection of your actual capacity and range. There is a margin of error, and in a new car unless you see a drastic reduction in range indicating a battery problem, whether your range is 411 or 402 or 396 or 392, they are all probably effectively the same.

Dude you’re missing the point. The point is pack capacity changes over time and it isn’t an easy thing to measure. The car estimates it based on energy moving in and out, voltages, and accounting for uneven balancing. My original point simply was the full charge range indicated by the car is not necessarily an exact reflection of your actual capacity and range. There is a margin of error, and in a new car unless you see a drastic reduction in range indicating a battery problem, whether your range is 411 or 402 or 396 or 392, they are all probably effectively the same.

Wow, I'm out. Good luck. I honestly tried.

Wow, I'm out. Good luck. I honestly tried.
I honestly have no idea what you think is wrong with my statements. Thought it was common knowledge that fhr car uses an algorithm to estimate current usable pack capacity and various conditions including driving style and charging habits can affect it. It’s very unlikely new cars with low miles have actual different pack capacities despite the range readout

I honestly have no idea what you think is wrong with my statements. Thought it was common knowledge that fhr car uses an algorithm to estimate current usable pack capacity and various conditions including driving style and charging habits can affect it. It’s very unlikely new cars with low miles have actual different pack capacities despite the range readout

Again, you are wrong.

I think this is not an uncommon misunderstanding, and I admit that I am not 100% certain but I believe I am correct.

When you use the Energy Display on the MCU the display / calculations for a trip are pretty accurate. However, the range number on the IC display as far as I know takes very little into account other than the EPA efficiency (how much energy your car is deemed to need for each unit distance) and the % charge. So at half charge, you have half the max battery energy which should (under EPA test condition) take your car a certain distance. It does not 'learn' your driving style, or take into account the actual efficiency of your previous / recent trips. If you drive like a maniac and drain the full pack in 150 miles, if you recharge to 100% you will still see the same theoretical EPA efficiency based range. Even on a freezing cold day, I do not believe the displayed range will change to reflect the decreased efficiency of your car.

Conversely, if you hypermile slipstreaming behind trucks for a year with no a/c or heater, consuming only 150wh/mile, your 100% charge will still show the Tesla / EPA calculated range.

This is completely different from my non-Tesla EV which in the winter shows me an estimated range of 145 miles and in the summer anything up to 210. This car also revises my efficiency (in miles / kwh) between 2.5 and 4.5 approx). Personally, I prefer this approach as it rewards careful / efficient driving with increased estimated range. When efficiency drops due to cold weather or a change in driving style, the car adjusts to show a realistic range estimate.

Remember too the huge (and somewhat pointless) change in instantaneous efficiency, where you can swing from infinitely efficient (coasting down hill with regen) to massively inefficient (hauling up a steep hill against a headwind with the heater on and flat tires!) so to get meaningful figures you need to consider values averaged over a certain distance - which Tesla allows you to select (in 3 steps up to 30 miles iirc).

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
My Model S Long Range, that I took delivery of on Nov. 2019, recently indicated in the car info that it is “Long Range Plus” after a software update. I only charge to 80%, which has been 315 miles. That would put my 100% charge at about 393 miles, which is 20 miles over the 373 miles it was when I bought it originally.

Now, I just got the update to 2020.24.6.1 and my normal 80% charge went up to 325 miles, which would now put my 100% charge at about 404 miles. App confirms if slider set to 100% estimated range of 405 miles.

So it appears that cars manufactured BEFORE January 2020 can be upgraded to Long Range Plus with the 404 mile range.

Anyone else with a late 2019 (Oct, Nov., Dec.) Long Range confirm they got upgraded to Long Range PLUS and 404 mile range?

227CD869-C6A6-4F70-80AE-E8C129191BA6.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Each of your modules is below average but within spec. Some get a bit more but are still spec. Chaos at play.
I guess....I was just curious because some said they thought my car was mfg'd in 2019....it was not....in Jan 2020 so I have seen increases up tp 391 and then the little change to 396 which I thought should be ~402......any way, thanks for the help...I believe my battery is ok...I will continue to monitor thru TeslaFi.....and maybe get a SCAN tool

My Model S Long Range, that I took delivery of on Nov. 2019, recently indicated in the car info that it is “Long Range Plus” after a software update. I only charge to 80%, which has been 315 miles. That would put my 100% charge at about 393 miles, which is 20 miles over the 373 miles it was when I bought it originally.

Now, I just got the update to 2020.24.6.1 and my normal 80% charge went up to 325 miles, which would now put my 100% charge at about 404 miles. App confirms if slider set to 100% estimated range of 405 miles.

So it appears that cars manufactured BEFORE January 2020 can be upgraded to Long Range Plus with the 404 mile range.

Anyone else with a late 2019 (Oct, Nov., Dec.) Long Range confirm they got upgraded to Long Range PLUS and 404 mile range?

View attachment 557885

So I decided to do a full 100% charge overnight after I wrote the above post. I can confirm that my November 2019 Long Range Model S at 100% charge displayed in car range of 405 miles after charging.

Apparently, all of the required hardware upgrades for "Long Range Plus" were in place by at least November 2019.