Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.12 Unlocked additional range up to a "long range plus"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my MS Long Range plus, bought on 30 Jan 2020, only shows 396 mile at 100%....I charged last night to 90% and only showed 357 miles.....wonder if I should go by the service center and have them check out the battery....thoughts

I think that is a waste of time. They will tell you it is "normal" and your battery is "Fine"

get a CAN bus reader, adapter cable and SMT or other software. Best 80 bucks I ever spent. You will see the real capacity of the pack, among many other useful items.

my MS Long Range plus, bought on 30 Jan 2020, only shows 396 mile at 100%....I charged last night to 90% and only showed 357 miles.....wonder if I should go by the service center and have them check out the battery....thoughts
You're well within normal at these numbers. That being said it's difficult to respond without comprehensive information such as firmware version and how many miles are on your car.

You're well within normal at these numbers. That being said it's difficult to respond without comprehensive information such as firmware version and how many miles are on your car.
software version: 2020.24.6.1......3700 miles.....

FWIT: I went on trip today and charge from 45% to 100% at supercharger in Lake Elsinor......1 other person and 28 open chargers.....when charging was at 99%, the "calculating" came on screen.....then went to 5 min.....then to "calculating again and stayed there......the dash showed it was 5 min, so I stopped charging and disconnected......car showed 396 miles.....is there a reason the "calculating" stayed on.....was hoping to get 402, but no such luck...I feel goos about it as Teslafi battery charts also show 396....just a little degradation

Software version 2020.24.6.1, Jan 20 build 2400 miles.

shows 411 @ 100%
E23FC702-2D41-43C3-9027-6DAFE966A7E6.png

I received my 2/2020 built MS LR in March. It arrived charging a maximum of 372miles. I was told at pickup over the next couple days several updates to the car would take place. one of them was a software update that would show "Long Range Plus" and the next 100% charge would be to 392 miles. That was 220.8.? I recently did a 100% charge with 2020.20.12 and it is still 392 miles range. The new 2020.24 update was just announced and I don't have that yet but Tesla announced the latest 100% to 402 would be coming in the next update to software. This tells me it is just a recalculation of range we already have in the hardware.

I don't know anyone who has actually tested the full range to these distances. Seems pretty silly to me because who would try to drive until their battery was dead? What's important to me is how much range do I get in the usable portion of the battery? That is probably the range with 25 miles reserve if the next Supercharger is less than 25 miles away. Otherwise more than 25 miles. Even more important to me is how long will it take to add 370miles of driving distance at a supercharger. Ideally, no longer than it took to fill my gas car for 370 miles of range on a road trip. That is the more important goal to me which is probably being throttled by the Supercharger capacity and the tapering management in the car. And this is only really important on long road trips where I may drive for 12 or more hours a day.

A potential Tesla buyer was asking me about this not long ago and after explaining how EV is different from a gas car, they realized the range is no longer a big issue even for road trips. It's like worrying over whether your car has a 12 gallon gas tank or a 14 gallon gas tank. Rate of recharging rather than range becomes more the concern on a road trip. Tesla owners love to make excuses for recharging time claiming they need to eat every 90 minutes or walk the dog, or pee. Maybe so, but that doesn't apply to everyone. Besides, highway rest stops don't have Superchargers and many superchargers are located far from the highway exits. That needs to change in the future with fast DC charging at every gas station. Buy gas, diesel, food, electricity and we're all happy. :)

I have a January 2020 MS LR, which then became a LR+. 2020.24.6.1 took me to the 400+ mile range.
IMG_0730 2.jpg

I've yet to SC on this one. Have a road trip (San Diego to Paso Robles) coming up. Any V3 chargers along that route?

My V3 250KW chargers show up on the map when I spot one along the route. Closest to me is about 105 miles away. Just mapped it. I thought it was closer. Plan to go there next week but I'm more interested in the taper curve as I don't believe my battery will do the faster charge rate with this version of the software.

Most likely because your car was possibly manufactured in late 2019. OP states in his post that this applies to cars manufactured from January 2020 and onwards.

So is this is just a software calculation of max range by the BMS or can the S/X actually drive further?

Has anyone with a MS LR+ hooked up SMT?

I am going around and around reading thread after thread all mis-quoting, misunderstanding, dreaming, getting frustrated, feeling duped.... but I cant see an answer to @jmaddr 's question supported by evidence.

2% here, another 2% there, better regen but no evidence or better than what, oil pump, battery rev.... but no real evidence.

Just like to try and understand stuff.

Last edited: