Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.36.3.1 Release notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning

Just installed on my models S P 2019 uk
image.jpg

As pointed out in another thread, speed assist improvements are limited to local roads and that seems to be the case sometimes.

If the system can’t detect temporary or variable speed limit signs it’s of very limited use. Certainly not up to Mobileye capability. Permanent speed limits mits are usually pretty well signed, or obvious what th Ed y ought to be. Easy to miss temporary / variable ones.

Reactions: MrBadger
If the system can’t detect temporary or variable speed limit signs it’s of very limited use. Certainly not up to Mobileye capability. Permanent speed limits mits are usually pretty well signed, or obvious what th Ed y ought to be. Easy to miss temporary / variable ones.

I imagine it'll be like the experience with the traffic light and stop sign recognition! Initially it kind of sucked, didn't detect some lights and didn't detect others correctly, but now it works extremely well.

Messing up speed limit signs on a motorway could be pretty bad, imagine it mistakes a 60 variable speed limit sign as something stupid like 30 and suddenly slams on the brakes. Totally my own theory, but: I think it'll probably be disabled on motorways until they're sure it's working as intended and mostly accurate. ;)

Reactions: M109Rider
Messing up speed limit signs on a motorway could be pretty bad, imagine it mistakes a 60 variable speed limit sign as something stupid like 30 and suddenly slams on the brakes. Totally my own theory, but: I think it'll probably be disabled on motorways until they're sure it's working as intended and mostly accurate. ;)

The speed signs are not acted upon. Its a purely manual action to take the speed limit - when engaging TACC or when pressing the speed limit sign. Its not going to suddenly brake if it gets the speed sign wrong.

Reactions: CurtisVL
Hopefully this isn't too off topic for this thread, but do you all have your software updates set to "advanced"? Having read issues about early releases I am sceptical with doing this as when I need to use the car, I NEED it to work. Would you recommend switching over to advanced or playing it safe?

I normally sit on standard, but a few weeks back I switched to advanced because I was having problems with an early 2020.32 version and wanted best opportunity for getting a quick fix. Even though at the time of getting the initial 2020.32 I was on standard, I still got the update in the first wave, so standard/advanced sometimes seems to make no difference. I suspect though that I got 2020.36.3.1 because I was still on advanced.

As for 2020.36.3.1, on a couple of short drives, including TACC, AP and NoA, it seems fine. The new speed sign functionality in its current state seems very limited so not a must have for us. So if you are happy with old version and need things to work, I personally would play it safe. However, now I am on 20202.36.3.1, I'll stick on advanced in the hope that things will functionally improve. But I'm most certainly not going to be on it for the autopilot rewrite until it gets glowing reports from UK drivers.

From experience, software updates can go wrong and take a few attempts to sort - thankfully our problems happened over xmas period so no need for car although I suspect it was drivable, just download stuck at 100%. Others had reported similar issues with that release, so I was not alone. But I had a 400+ mile trip looming so it needed to work, so a day or so having to reset the car every so often was not a good runup. It worked out fine in the end.

Hopefully this isn't too off topic for this thread, but do you all have your software updates set to "advanced"? Having read issues about early releases I am sceptical with doing this as when I need to use the car, I NEED it to work. Would you recommend switching over to advanced or playing it safe?
It’s often a mixed blessing IMO. Fun to experiment with the new features, but they so often introduce new bugs in things that used to work perfectly before. When these have an impact on basic functionality of the car like the recent power throttling during charging, then it is a royal pain. If you NEED it to work, stay on the standard stuff and avoid temptation caused by reading threads on here about features in the ‘advanced’ releases.

Reactions: DanAndTheBeard
Even if it did,

1) It's OK now we have 'dynamic brake lights'

2) Tesla drivers are very familiar with that kind of behavior already!

After testing, I can say with very high certainty that speed limit signs are just ignored on none 'local roads', motorways.

There's a super obvious and huge 50 sign near me towards where a motorway ends and it's totally ignored, but the tiny 40 signs after leaving the highway, and an identical 50 sign are registered perfectly.

I think like I said in my original post, they're probably waiting to ensure the car is detecting signs correctly before enabling it on motorways, would make a lot of sense. :)

Honestly, the speed limit sign detection is seriously impressive.

I've not had it miss a single sign so far, even when they're half in a hedge as most are here.

I feel like a bad driver now as it sees every sign and I only notice maybe 2 or 3 of them. I just see them appear on the display. Every single tiny 40 repeater sign strapped to the side of a lamppost. :eek:

Reactions: M109Rider