Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 7k brake Grooves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See below the condition of the brakes

Recently taken to my local dealer, they advised this is normal and the brakes work perfectly fine. as they do
But cosmetically they look poor for so little miles
All four Discs

Driven 50/50 on low gen and normal

whats your toughts

Attachments

• B4F25790-6181-492D-A41F-1C98A63E6B97.jpeg
    B4F25790-6181-492D-A41F-1C98A63E6B97.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 457
  • 6D633A68-BDE6-456E-962D-E34FE3025AA2.jpeg
    6D633A68-BDE6-456E-962D-E34FE3025AA2.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 241
  • AF9ACCD4-785D-4C7B-B14F-B8498456429B.jpeg
    AF9ACCD4-785D-4C7B-B14F-B8498456429B.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 5FFEC05C-AA62-4F27-A50F-5DBCAFB60113.jpeg
    5FFEC05C-AA62-4F27-A50F-5DBCAFB60113.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 246
Interesting to say the least. All the cars vans ive owned have never witnessed this
Very poor in my eyes on a 56k car

Were any of the cars/vans you’ve owned before fully electric? The reason you see this is that the physical brakes are hardly used. If you drove your previous cars and never used the brakes....you’d see the same thing. This is typical for tesla and model 3’s, Especially if stopping mode is set to HOLD and standard regeneration. The brakes just aren’t used enough, if any, to wear off whatever surface rust or contamination builds up on the rotors. Do some hard stops and you’ll notice it disappear. Need to set regen to low first to ensure you’re actually engaging the physical brakes. If that doesn’t do the trick...Best would be to slightly press the right stalk up to put the car in neutral and do a few 50/60mph - 20/30mph stops. That way you use 100% of the physical brakes and zero regen.

Were any of the cars/vans you’ve owned before fully electric? The reason you see this is that the physical brakes are hardly used. If you drove your previous cars and never used the brakes....you’d see the same thing. This is typical for tesla and model 3’s, Especially if stopping mode is set to HOLD and standard regeneration. The brakes just aren’t used enough, if any, to wear off whatever surface rust or contamination builds up on the rotors. Do some hard stops and you’ll notice it disappear. Need to set regen to low first to ensure you’re actually engaging the physical brakes. If that doesn’t do the trick...Best would be to slightly press the right stalk up to put the car in neutral and do a few 50/60mph - 20/30mph stops. That way you use 100% of the physical brakes and zero regen.

This. All EV's exhibit this condition on the brakes if you don't use them.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I will try all of the above but im betting it wont work
Shite design if regen wrecks your discs
Whats the point then

With appropriate use/maintenance the brakes will last a very long time and the car can also travel much further on a charge because it is recouping energy that would otherwise be lost.

No offense, but using the mechanical brakes every once in a while isn't asking a lot. Any exposed iron surface is going to rust - brake rotors are no exception. This issue also isn't isolated to Tesla, or even EV's for that matter. If you park an ICE for a couple weeks outside and then come back to it the rotors will have a layer of corrosion on them. If you never use your mechanical brakes (or only lightly), you're effectively doing the same thing. You need to create friction between the rotor surface and the brake pad to clean off the surface rust; otherwise it will build up over time.

With appropriate use/maintenance the brakes will last a very long time and the car can also travel much further on a charge because it is recouping energy that would otherwise be lost.

No offense, but using the mechanical brakes every once in a while isn't asking a lot. Any exposed iron surface is going to rust - brake rotors are no exception. This issue also isn't isolated to Tesla, or even EV's for that matter. If you park an ICE for a couple weeks outside and then come back to it the rotors will have a layer of corrosion on them. If you never use your mechanical brakes (or only lightly), you're effectively doing the same thing. You need to create friction between the rotor surface and the brake pad to clean off the surface rust; otherwise it will build up over time.
My subject is regarding the brake disc that have grooves in them
Not rust. im aware of the rust factor on any mental
As far as not using the brakes i use them mostly my wife drives 2 days to work then on evenings go for a blast so no excuse on the cosmetics on these discs
excellent car love it
Just disappointing on such a expensive car

Your rotors are not grooved, that is surface corrosion and is completely normal. Listen to what people here are telling you. It has nothing to do with "how expensive" the car is. ANY EV with iron discs and regen braking will be susceptible to this when the car isn't driven hard from time to time. It's not ruining your rotors and like others have said, if you find in unattractive, make a couple higher speed mod-hard braking stops to clean it off. I do this from time to time on my '20 P3D+ (10K miles) and it keeps them pretty clean.
IMG_2899.jpg

As far as not using the brakes i use them mostly my wife drives 2 days to work then on evenings go for a blast so no excuse on the cosmetics on these discs
excellent car love it

It's simply surface corrosion. Your rotors aren't grooved or have any performance issues.

If you want to completely eliminate surface corrosion - may I suggest a set of carbon-ceramic rotors? They really look great, and are also a bit lighter.

I will try all of the above but im betting it wont work
Shite design if regen wrecks your discs
Whats the point then

What’s the point of brake discs? To stop the car. Do your brakes work and stop the car?

The brake discs are not a cosmetic item, they are not meant to ‘look good’

Your discs are not ‘wrecked’ there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Disc problems would be as follows - severe judder when applying the brakes due to uneven pad deposits, severe radial cracks due to wear and extreme heat or disc excessive wear beyond serviceable limits.

excellent car love it

What you have pictured is rust. The "grooves" are just layers of rust that have not been fully swept by the pad.

Set your regen to low and do 5 hard stops on the highway from 80mph to 50mph. Should clean right up.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
All the above comments thank you
But again these are grooves ie
Ribbed when running finger over them.
Ive done 10-15 hard stops this week
And drove over a week with regen low

no difference wht so ever on clearing the disc. Again a 56k with utter poor quality discs

At what speeds did you do the hard stops? Take pics before, do some consecutive high speed emergency stops that actually heat up the rotors, take pictures again immediately after and post them up. I say immediately after because if it’s raining or even just high humidity, you’ll see rust/corrosion build up pretty quickly. Do the stops in neutral....so we are 100% sure you’re engaging the brake pads.

As others posted this is purely cosmetic and has nothing to do with utter poor quality discs. Did the car stop as expected when you did the hard stops? The brakes on my performance will easily overcome the traction on my winter blizzak tires on dry roads and kick in ABS when I do my hard stops. I also like to see clean rotors lol.

All the above comments thank you
But again these are grooves ie
Ribbed when running finger over them.
Ive done 10-15 hard stops this week
And drove over a week with regen low

no difference wht so ever on clearing the disc. Again a 56k with utter poor quality discs

Just like when a body panel on a car rust and it bubbles outward, rust expands as it forms. These ribbed sections that are raised over the surface of the rotor are not grooves, they are simply rust bands. When you wear them off, everything will smooth out as they are far softer than the metal below. Since yours have been developing for a while, they might take a while to smooth out and disappear.

If you don't listen to what everyone on here is telling you, people will stop providing advice. You posted this thread two days ago. It's probably going to take more than that to remove that corrosion.

Finally, and for the last time. ANY cast iron brake disc would have the exact same thing happen to it in this situation.

Simple test to see if they are grooved. See if your finger nail catches on the rotor when dragging it across. Bet it does not. Totally cosmetic and normal.

You can always sell the car if you are that convinced that the design is inherently flawed.

All you above can you send pictures of your rotors so i can compare please

In case you didn’t see my question. What speeds did you do your hard stops?

vogz already posted a pic of his rotor. not sure how many rotors you need to see to be convinced. But here are two pics of mine. The first after 1 yr/~12k. Second pic from today, 2.5yrs/33k. Where I live we deal with snow and salted roads during the winter and I take multiple ski trips a season. So they‘ve been exposed to fairly corrosive environments for 3 winters now.

EBC17A22-1FC5-4C51-8370-64AD6DD8BCC2.jpeg
BBAF5784-0C61-40C4-B7BC-D504BF9F342A.jpeg