Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 M3P vs 2024 MY standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - just trying to get some understanding here. My 2020 M3P has a WLTP of 319. However at 100% charge it says 283. I always assumed that it would show (roughly) the WLTP but then the reality would be different. But my 100% is much lower. Is that battery degredation? Now...a brand new MY standard (which I am considering getting) has an WLTP of 283 (the same as my actual 100% charge). So....as I am happy with the range of my M3P, will I be roughly getting the same real world range with the standard range MY!?

Hope that all makes sense!

Assuming you had an ICE car in the past, did you study the manufacturer's range estimate as carefully as this?
You'd sleep a lot easier if you'd change to % instead of estimated mileage.
But to answer your question, some of it is degredation and some is just the usual combination of conditions, driving style etc.
You can ask other owners what range they get from a MYS, but as they say, YMMV!

The cars show EPA rated range, not WLTP, hence the lower ratings. I’m pretty sure a MYRWD would only show about 246 miles at 100%.

What it shows can vastly vary with what range you’re actually getting anyway.

A MYRWD or LR will certainly be more efficient than your P, but the LFP battery (RWD) does vary more summer to winter than the NCA in the LR or P.

My previous car, a M3 SR+ (LFP 55kwh) would do 160-180 miles winter then 250 summer.

My MYLR is 300+ summer and 250+ winter

Reactions: UkNorthampton
The cars show EPA rated range, not WLTP, hence the lower ratings. I’m pretty sure a MYRWD would only show about 246 miles at 100%.

What it shows can vastly vary with what range you’re actually getting anyway.

A MYRWD or LR will certainly be more efficient than your P, but the LFP battery (RWD) does vary more summer to winter than the NCA in the LR or P.

My previous car, a M3 SR+ (LFP 55kwh) would do 160-180 miles winter then 250 summer.

My MYLR is 300+ summer and 250+ winter
Very helpful. Thanks.

Now...a brand new MY standard (which I am considering getting) has an WLTP of 283 (the same as my actual 100% charge). So....as I am happy with the range of my M3P, will I be roughly getting the same real world range with the standard range MY!?
As others mentioned it is EPA what you see in the car. Model Y SR WLTP is 283 and EPA is 260. That’s what you see in the car. I have done 6000 miles it is still 260 on 100%.

Assuming you had an ICE car in the past, did you study the manufacturer's range estimate as carefully as this?
You'd sleep a lot easier if you'd change to % instead of estimated mileage.
But to answer your question, some of it is degredation and some is just the usual combination of conditions, driving style etc.
You can ask other owners what range they get from a MYS, but as they say, YMMV!
This is a good point. Nobody ever studied how much gas mileage they were getting in an ICE car. They just saw the gauge was close to empty and then filled up. I'm not sure why people have a different mindset with an electric car. It's just another form of energy to power your car.

up. I'm not sure why people have a different mindset with an electric car. It's just another form of energy to power your car.
They wouldn’t have a different mindset, if all the electric cars range on top up is around 450-500 miles and expected to get atleast 430miles when thrashed around and topped up in 5 minutes. Unfortunately that is not the case 🫤

They wouldn’t have a different mindset, if all the electric cars range on top up is around 450-500 miles and expected to get atleast 430miles when thrashed around and topped up in 5 minutes. Unfortunately that is not the case 🫤
My last ICE car's range was about the same as my Model 3. I never bothered referring to the estimated range on the trip computer in that and I don't look at estimated range in my Model 3 now. Sure, I use ABRP now if I'm going on a long trip so I plan a bit more but I hardly find that inconvenient and always starting every trip with a 'full tank' is a big bonus, along with never again getting my hands and shoes covered with smelly petrol/diesel which then ends up on the steering wheel/mats. 🤪

It's irrelevant. You can get EV's with more range like you are talking about, if you want. With EV's you can top off your tank literally while you are sleeping and for much cheaper. You can't do that with gas. I'm not trying to dunk on gas cars, but whether it's a gas or EV car you still have to be mindful of how much fuel is in your car whether it be electricity or gas.