Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X Tire Rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drmanny3

Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2014
Santa Barbara, CA
I realized that I cannot rotate the tires on my car as the wheels while being 20 inches are 9 inches wide in the front and 9.5 inches in the rear. They have 265x45x20 load range 108 in the front and 275x45x20 load range 110 in the rear. I was thinking about getting some 9.5 wide rims and using them for the front and having all the tires 275x45x20. I would probably lose some range. Can you think of any other issues? I could get some 9.0 wide and put the 265x45x20 all the way around as well. This way I can rotate like traditional setups. What do you think?

I realized that I cannot rotate the tires on my car as the wheels while being 20 inches are 9 inches wide in the front and 9.5 inches in the rear. They have 265x45x20 load range 108 in the front and 275x45x20 load range 110 in the rear. I was thinking about getting some 9.5 wide rims and using them for the front and having all the tires 275x45x20. I would probably lose some range. Can you think of any other issues? I could get some 9.0 wide and put the 265x45x20 all the way around as well. This way I can rotate like traditional setups. What do you think?
I believe the offset is different too, between the front and rear. If you have a good alignment and the tires are wearing evenly, there is no need to rotate them. Personally, I would not change away from the factory recommendations and risk degraded performance or damage. When I last asked Tesla about rotation, they took a look at my tires and said "your tires are very evenly worn, there is no need to rotate them."

I generally do not rotate tires on any car that I have. But I do make sure the wheel alignment is spot on.

I agree, thus far I have not visually seen evidence if excessive wear on the inside rears. The offset is 35 for the front and 40 for the rears. I don’t think there would be a clearance issue with either wheel. The easiest thing would be to try a rear on the front and a front on the rear.

I am concerned because of the shutter issue associated with the model X. If you drive the car with the suspension set at high or near the high level then the U-Joints in the front will wear and then you will experience wheel shutter during acceleration. That is an expensive repair out of warranty.

So Tesla recommends you keep the car on low. The rear is maxed out on camber so the insides of the rear wheels tires wears excessively At the low settings. I had a 92 NSX that use to wear out rear tires at 7000 miles. The fix was to adjust the camber which was possible on that car. Not so with the Model X. I think the same for Model S, but not sure.