Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shudder Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The poll in another thread is making it pretty scary to purchase an X.

I'm waiting for the April battery meeting before placing my order. Here's hoping to a permanent fix.
I believe the S, 3 and Y are overall safer choices than the X for quality.

I note the recent unfortunate reports of the shudder problem in both Raven X's and S's, but the S has had a pretty good record in the last few years except for the front suspension problem that they fixed a few years ago. Maybe the Y will have a few early teething problems, but it's quite similar to the 3 which is doing well on quality.

My friends do love their 3's, and the Y does share 70+% of the same foundation.

Maybe I should opt for the Y then. The X was considered for the Section 179 tax incentives and for it's size. You all have been immensely helpful, thank you very much. I love the internet.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a permanent solution before April.

I would personally stay away from the model X. Mine is a 2019 performance delivered in the middle of July. Love the car but the grinding, vibrating noise that I get on acceleration is horrible. The first time I brought it in, nothing was done, except for a recording being sent to Tesla engineers. This was back in December. I have another appointment tomorrow, but they emailed and said there is no fix. I’m going to start arbitration, what a joke. Love the car, hate the company.
I am ready to give up on my m
I would personally stay away from the model X. Mine is a 2019 performance delivered in the middle of July. Love the car but the grinding, vibrating noise that I get on acceleration is horrible. The first time I brought it in, nothing was done, except for a recording being sent to Tesla engineers. This was back in December. I have another appointment tomorrow, but they emailed and said there is no fix. I’m going to start arbitration, what a joke. Love the car, hate the company.
I am ready to give up on my Model X. They are replacing the front drive unit now. They already replaced the rear drive unit about a month ago. Not confident it will be fixed. Less than 1900 miles and has been in the shop 30+ days in 4 visits.

How do you get the arbitration process started? Thx.

I've had mine for just over a month and have 4200+ miles on it. The shudder is making me not want to drive the car, especially around town where the speeds are "right in the sweet spot" nor do I want to drop the car to low as the ride takes a hit on our shyt roads. I also noticed that around 60-70 MPH if you get on it hard it makes a grinding noise thats coming from the driver side. :\ I have a SC appointment on the 6th so HOPEFULLY they can address it.
"speeds are 'right in the sweet spot'" doesn't sound like shudder, it sounds like vibration. If you are getting vibration at a certain speed, you have a balance and/or alignment issue. The shudder issue is caused by physics only during hard acceleration. The SB fix replaces the shudder with noises under the same conditions.

Its shudder, I've had many a balance problem with tires alignment problems, which you normally feel through the steering wheel. When I took it in the SC Advisor went on a ride with me, we only had to leave the SC center for him to say ok lets go back that's pretty bad. Yet they didn't fix it as they're waiting for a final fix. :\

As mentioned in the previous post, one other minor suspension matter, besides shudder, that could become an annoyance with the S and X is rear wheel alignment.

The rear camber is non-adjustable and the rear toe has a very narrow adjustment range. So, there are many with rear inner tire cupping after less than 10,000 miles on new tires. It doesn’t happen to everyone but it does occur to many and can happen at any moment.

The solutions are: wait for a business to sell adjustable links, live with replacing tires prematurely, or don’t drive on low/very low. But, that last solution seems to accelerate shudder issues. There is an (pricey) aftermarket link in the works.

Reactions: Syncra
Its shudder, I've had many a balance problem with tires alignment problems, which you normally feel through the steering wheel. When I took it in the SC Advisor went on a ride with me, we only had to leave the SC center for him to say ok lets go back that's pretty bad. Yet they didn't fix it as they're waiting for a final fix. :\
Shudder and vibration are practically synonymous. What I should have said was something like this:

It sounds like you are describing a shudder that persists while you are driving at a certain speed. That is not the shudder this thread is about. The shudder this thread is about happens only under acceleration and typically that acceleration is hard enough that it's rarely actually necessary to accelerate that fast.

I have a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus and the shudder is extremely bad when the suspension is high and I experience very little when it is set to low. I took my Tesla for service and they told me that if this wasn't brand new, there is a fix but mine has a new suspension and there is currently no fix for this issue. I was "put on a list" to have it fixed when the fix becomes available. I am not satisfied with this issue, especially since this is a design problem it seems. The 2019 and earlier has this same issue and now they release the 2020 with a new suspension that does the same thing? Why should I have to drive such an expensive luxury car with this issue. Each mile and month that goes buy, I am closer to being out of warranty. Not happy about this!

My 2020 Long Range has no shudder, at least not yet. 2258 miles so far. I ordered my on the evening of Dec 6, 2019 (Friday), was offered delivery on Dec 16, but actually picked it up on Dec 18. I'm realizing now how lucky I was to get such fast delivery.

UPDATE: Right on cue, the shutter started in my 2020 Model X at around 4000 miles. It's pretty bad in Standard suspension, but in Very Low it goes away entirely. I will be scheduling a SC appointment to have it fixed.

UPDATE: Right on cue, the shutter started in my 2020 Model X at around 4000 miles. It's pretty bad in Standard suspension, but in Very Low it goes away entirely. I will be scheduling a SC appointment to have it fixed.

Good luck with that. My 2019 LR Raven is i complete nightmare and it shudder and vibrate like crazy, even when driving 100km/h it pulsates and rattles so much that its insane.

SC refuses to fix the issue, I have about 1800 miles of driving both ways to SC.
Towing even a light trailer is almost impossible. If I accelerate with low suspension and do 0-60 in about one minute I can keep the shudder at a level where I dont think the car will fall into pieces. Once I reach 100km/h the pulsating loud noise starts and it feels like my head will explode because of this. No, the tires have been changed and re balanced twice.

SC has comfirmed theese issues and the refuse to repair the car.
This is the worst car I have ever owned, period.

This doesn't seem to be the Raven shudder everyone is talking about. How come SC is not fixing it is not clear to me and how do they argument about it. In my Raven, shudder appears only during high acceleration and usually it's between 25-50mph. The car isn't really vibrating, just a noise coming from the half-shafts. And yes, it has disappeared when it became much warmer (see my update in other shudder thread).

Have you actually driven with SC tech in your car and replicated the issue? because it seems you and them are talking about different things.

I have a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus and the shudder is extremely bad when the suspension is high and I experience very little when it is set to low. I took my Tesla for service and they told me that if this wasn't brand new, there is a fix but mine has a new suspension and there is currently no fix for this issue. I was "put on a list" to have it fixed when the fix becomes available. I am not satisfied with this issue, especially since this is a design problem it seems. The 2019 and earlier has this same issue and now they release the 2020 with a new suspension that does the same thing? Why should I have to drive such an expensive luxury car with this issue. Each mile and month that goes buy, I am closer to being out of warranty. Not happy about this!

It actually supposed to happen on high, it's mentioned in manual. Do not accelerate hard on high :)

• Informative
Reactions: wreighven
I'm experiencing a pulsation/vibration when accelerating or decelerating between 0-3 mph. It's most pronounced when the regenerative braking brings it to a stop at a very low speed. Driving on a slight incline seems to magnify the vibration even more. It almost feels like the rear motor and front motor aren't in sync.

The service center tech told me they escalated my concern to the head drivetrain engineer and he told them they just recently started using a more durable rear motor in the X and a future firmware update would correct the pulsating I'm feeling. None of the Model X's I previously test drove experienced this issue, though they were probably late 2019 builds. If this is a firmware issue that has yet to be resolved, I'm surprised more LR+ owners aren't reporting on it.