Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.32.22 - No FSD Beta button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not getting the FSD Beta button on my 2021 Model 3 w/FSD package after receiving the 2021.32.22 update. Initially after updating, the release notes said only that there were bug fixes, and various Autopilot features were disabled with a note that they are not available in my region (I’m in the Chicago suburbs). They had worked fine before the update. I drove around a bit and the Autopilot features came back, but still no FSD beta button. I did a power off under Safety and Security, and now the release notes describe the FSD beta button, but it still does not appear in the Autopilot menu. I scheduled service but the first available date is a week out.

Anyone have any ideas? Thx

Is the current software version on your car 2020.48.3x? Also, I suppose your car says LTE and not 3G. If it says the latter, you might want to read about the LTE upgrade article as AT&T will shutdown 3G on February 2022.

Lastly, if you truly have MCU1 on your car (you can check this by tapping Software then Additional information. If it says NVIDIA Integra, it’s MCU1 anything else is MCU2 or later), you will not receive the button update as the MCU1 computer is not powerful.

Is the current software version on your car 2020.48.3x? Also, I suppose your car says LTE and not 3G. If it says the latter, you might want to read about the LTE upgrade article as AT&T will shutdown 3G on February 2022.

Lastly, if you truly have MCU1 on your car (you can check this by tapping Software then Additional information. If it says NVIDIA Integra, it’s MCU1 anything else is MCU2 or later), you will not receive the button update as the MCU1 computer is not powerful.

@with_raiden: You are correct, current software version is 2020.48.37.6. I attached a screen shot showing the car details and yes you are correct on the Integra. The car does have LTE.

I called the old service center that I used to go to before they opened one that is much closer. I had a direct dial so thought I would see what they said about the MCU1 W/FSD. Drum roll please, no information is known at this time.mother service person asked one to the technicians that regularly does the computer upgrades (MCU1 to MCU2). The best I could get is they didn’t even know if they were working on the MCU1 FSD button at this time. Sounds more like hate to say it but my car is very much in the minority so not any priority. That was not said but the way it feels. Not sure what to do now? Obviously, I understand my car and others like it are in the minority but doesn’t mean I don’t want to know when my car will, if ever get the FSD button.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 9DE8B5BA-C0A4-42C9-AB8A-6EE4F83626DC.jpeg
    9DE8B5BA-C0A4-42C9-AB8A-6EE4F83626DC.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: dbldwn02
Upvote 0
I don’t think your sc knows anything about software updates. It might just not have been pushed out to your car yet. You bought FSD correct?
Yes, bought FSD at the time we purchased the car. I spoke to another SC and didn’t get much additional info. Nobody seems to have info on MCU1 cars as it relates to if/when the FSD button option will happen?

Thanks for your help. Just trying to figure out who to contact at Tesla to find out when cars like mine will get the FSD button option will happen?

Thanks For Your Help!

Upvote 0
@with_raiden: You are correct, current software version is 2020.48.37.6. I attached a screen shot showing the car details and yes you are correct on the Integra. The car does have LTE.

I called the old service center that I used to go to before they opened one that is much closer. I had a direct dial so thought I would see what they said about the MCU1 W/FSD. Drum roll please, no information is known at this time.mother service person asked one to the technicians that regularly does the computer upgrades (MCU1 to MCU2). The best I could get is they didn’t even know if they were working on the MCU1 FSD button at this time. Sounds more like hate to say it but my car is very much in the minority so not any priority. That was not said but the way it feels. Not sure what to do now? Obviously, I understand my car and others like it are in the minority but doesn’t mean I don’t want to know when my car will, if ever get the FSD button.

Thanks for your help.
Now that you know you have MCU1, I am 99% certain that you’ll not get the FSD button until you update your MCU to version 2. I think the MCU is what powers the instrument cluster too

Have a look here if you’re interested on upgrading the Media Control Unit to version 2 Infotainment Upgrade

MCU 2 will give the following features:
1 - Backup camera will be available in Sentry mode/ DashCam
2 - Theater (Netflix and others)
3 - Karaoke
4 - DAB Radio Text
5 - Gaming controller support

Edit to add:
You can also check to see if your vehicle is part of the MCU1 recall here Tesla Service

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@with_raiden: Thanks again for your input. I did some research online and get no clear answer on if the MCU1 is enough to handle FSD. Some have said it will but the MCU1 will not have a very good display. Others have said they have their doubts. So, I guess I am no closer to knowing for sure. The service centers basically say they don’t know anything about the MCU1 situation. They also tried to convince me that the FSD button didn’t go out to everyone that paid for FSD. So, basically my car setup isn’t being pushed to the back of the line. It was more that my VIN was just not selected to get the button. From everything I have heard ANYBODY that paid for FSD was eligible to receive the button. Do you know what one of these is true?

Thanks for the link to the recall list. I checked and there was a recall as of 2/21 on the MCU. It only comes into play when it starts to fail. I have gotten a few black screen events but haven’t had the warning pop up on my screen yet. I guess the warning pops up an estimated 6 months prior to estimated failure.

Thanks Again.

Upvote 0
@with_raiden: Thanks again for your input. I did some research online and get no clear answer on if the MCU1 is enough to handle FSD. Some have said it will but the MCU1 will not have a very good display. Others have said they have their doubts. So, I guess I am no closer to knowing for sure. The service centers basically say they don’t know anything about the MCU1 situation. They also tried to convince me that the FSD button didn’t go out to everyone that paid for FSD. So, basically my car setup isn’t being pushed to the back of the line. It was more that my VIN was just not selected to get the button. From everything I have heard ANYBODY that paid for FSD was eligible to receive the button. Do you know what one of these is true?

Thanks for the link to the recall list. I checked and there was a recall as of 2/21 on the MCU. It only comes into play when it starts to fail. I have gotten a few black screen events but haven’t had the warning pop up on my screen yet. I guess the warning pops up an estimated 6 months prior to estimated failure.

Thanks Again.
You’re welcome! My guess is that anyone who has MCU1 and paid for FSD has not received the button yet whereas those with MCU2 or greater did receive the button.

I am pretty sure at some point Tesla will have folks who paid for FSD with MCU1 move to MCU2. It does not make sense to support so many MCUs, especially since the percentage of MCU1 users is very small.

Upvote 0
You’re welcome! My guess is that anyone who has MCU1 and paid for FSD has not received the button yet whereas those with MCU2 or greater did receive the button.

I am pretty sure at some point Tesla will have folks who paid for FSD with MCU1 move to MCU2. It does not make sense to support so many MCUs, especially since the percentage of MCU1 users is very small.
Ticks me off to see all these people are signing up for FSD today and getting the button request as soon as the next day. I paid thousands (9/2017) and nobody at Tesla has an idea on the status of MCU1 cats and the FSD button. I guess I was to trusting when Tesla said don’t worry any upgrades needed for the car to be able to handle FSD will be taken care of by Tesla. Years ago Tesla used to say it was all about the early adopters that helped push Tesla forward. So, I hope these MCU1 cars don’t get left out of the beta program. I just looked it up and there were approx 315,000 MCU1 Tesla’s made. So, that would have put about $250M from FSD, MCU1 cars in Tesla’s pocket. That is if my estimates of about 20% of MCU1 cars bought FSD as an option. Even at 10% and $125M would be a nice amount of money. Especially when you think of how strapped for cash Tesla was in those days. I guess all I can do is hope they aren’t forgetting these cars in the beta.

Thanks again for all your help (and everyone else in this thread too). I learned a lot about my car that I didn’t know before this thread. I had no clue that there are technically two computers in the car. I just wish service would have explained a little better on the MCU & the FSD computer upgrade I dI’d this summer. Not blaming them, just wish the explanation would have been better on what that upgrade was good for (and what it would not). What I was told is your car is now fully upgraded for FSD. I guess only time would tell if that is true, LOL.

Everyone Be Safe When You Get Into The BETA!

Reactions: dbldwn02
Upvote 0
Ticks me off to see all these people are signing up for FSD today and getting the button request as soon as the next day. I paid thousands (9/2017) and nobody at Tesla has an idea on the status of MCU1 cats and the FSD button. I guess I was to trusting when Tesla said don’t worry any upgrades needed for the car to be able to handle FSD will be taken care of by Tesla. Years ago Tesla used to say it was all about the early adopters that helped push Tesla forward. So, I hope these MCU1 cars don’t get left out of the beta program. I just looked it up and there were approx 315,000 MCU1 Tesla’s made. So, that would have put about $250M from FSD, MCU1 cars in Tesla’s pocket. That is if my estimates of about 20% of MCU1 cars bought FSD as an option. Even at 10% and $125M would be a nice amount of money. Especially when you think of how strapped for cash Tesla was in those days. I guess all I can do is hope they aren’t forgetting these cars in the beta.

Thanks again for all your help (and everyone else in this thread too). I learned a lot about my car that I didn’t know before this thread. I had no clue that there are technically two computers in the car. I just wish service would have explained a little better on the MCU & the FSD computer upgrade I dI’d this summer. Not blaming them, just wish the explanation would have been better on what that upgrade was good for (and what it would not). What I was told is your car is now fully upgraded for FSD. I guess only time would tell if that is true, LOL.

Everyone Be Safe When You Get Into The BETA!

A2Sirbill, I know that is not the most convenient thing, but I if I were you, I'd see what cost the SC would ask for a MCU2 upgrade, considering that you already have HW3. I thought (I may be wrong as I do not have a car in your situation) that the $1500 MCU2 upgrade includes HW3 too, which you already have since July. I may be wrong... But $1500 MCU2 upgrade would be worst case scenario and from what I've seen on the forum it seems to be worth it. It adds quite a few capabilities to the car infotainment and obviously it gets your car on the main SW branch development. I do not have any relation with Tesla other than driving one (2nd one on the way hopefully in few weeks). Just my $0.02...

Upvote 1
A2Sirbill, I know that is not the most convenient thing, but I if I were you, I'd see what cost the SC would ask for a MCU2 upgrade, considering that you already have HW3. I thought (I may be wrong as I do not have a car in your situation) that the $1500 MCU2 upgrade includes HW3 too, which you already have since July. I may be wrong... But $1500 MCU2 upgrade would be worst case scenario and from what I've seen on the forum it seems to be worth it. It adds quite a few capabilities to the car infotainment and obviously it gets your car on the main SW branch development. I do not have any relation with Tesla other than driving one (2nd one on the way hopefully in few weeks). Just my $0.02...
@Sandor: I appreciate your help with all my questions and helping me better understand my car. I would love to upgrade to the MCU2. I have two problems with that right now. I have a new model X on order and they keep changing my delivery date. I am planning on putting a huge down payment to keep my payment as low as possible. We are also getting our house ready for sale and have lots of various projects going to get the house to like new condition. My wife is going to have the 2017 X because she hardly drives at all. Not planning on keeping the 2017 X for more than a year because my wife wants a Cybertruck. Lastly, I just hate that I may not be getting what I was told I would…….We were happy to pay Tesla more than we ever thought we would pay for a car. Elon’s vision of making the world a better place climate wise was interesting to us. Last, I hate that we paid out lots of money and was promised by Tesla that whatever needed to be done to make the car capable of FSD, Tesla would pay for it. Now it sounds like Tesla really is pushing these MCU1 cars to the back of the line. At the same time people that just paid out for FSD basically get quick access to the FSD button.

I want to make sure I clearly say, I apologize in advance if I am wrong in what I am saying. I hope that Tesla is already working on the MCU1 cars & is not going to push them out of the FSD beta.

There about 60K cars out there with similar setups to mine. So, even if I bought the MCU2 upgrade there will still be a huge number of cars that shouldn’t be left out of the BETA. I am just REALLLLLY surprised (said this once before) that Tesla didn’t/doesn’t have a communication statement to let these MCU1 owners know how things will work with their cars as it relates to the FSD beta. It would be a pretty terrible thing for all those people that gave thousands to Tesla years ago to just be shut out of the FSD beta.

So sorry for being so wordy.

Take Care & Stay Safe!

Upvote 0
Do you have MCU1 or MCU2? MCU1 with HW3 cars are not getting any updates yet.
If you had your car upgraded to MCU2, open a support case and tell them that you’re stuck on an old FW.
Very new here... 2017 MS75 HW3 MCU1. I'm curious how one knows that MCU1/HW3 cars are not getting any updates. I had a very disappointing chat with Tesla Service wherein the informed me that my car had the latest approved firmware for its specific configuration. When I pressed them for what specifically was wrong with my configuration they refused to tell me. I even asked them if it was due to being an MCU1 car, and they ignored the question. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Very new here... 2017 MS75 HW3 MCU1. I'm curious how one knows that MCU1/HW3 cars are not getting any updates. I had a very disappointing chat with Tesla Service wherein the informed me that my car had the latest approved firmware for its specific configuration. When I pressed them for what specifically was wrong with my configuration they refused to tell me. I even asked them if it was due to being an MCU1 car, and they ignored the question. Thanks!
Well you can see all the releases here:

As you can see the latest release is 2021.32.22. This means the release was built in the 32nd week of 2021 (so fairly recently). Now look at your car. You’ll be on 2020.48 which is the last version released to MCU1 cars. Which is a 2020 release. Meaning you haven’t had any updates in 2021.

There’s not much you can do. Tesla doesn’t seem to be supporting MCU1 anymore.

Upvote 0

As you can see the latest release is 2021.32.22. This means the release was built in the 32nd week of 2021 (so fairly recently). Now look at your car. You’ll be on 2020.48 which is the last version released to MCU1 cars. Which is a 2020 release. Meaning you haven’t had any updates in 2021.

Thanks, but unless I'm missing something, the Teslafi tracker doesn't seem to track what MCU the cars have, just what AP hardware they have.

What I don't know is how you "know", other than all of us MCU1 owners complaining about it, that Tesla is slow rolling firmware releases to us? I would agree that it seems that way, I was wondering/hoping that you had a more clear cut smoking gun.

Like A2Sirbill I'm a bit put off that my car which is supposed to be fully FSD ready, seems like it really isn't and that Tesla wants another $1500 to make it ready.

Upvote 0
Very new here... 2017 MS75 HW3 MCU1. I'm curious how one knows that MCU1/HW3 cars are not getting any updates. I had a very disappointing chat with Tesla Service wherein the informed me that my car had the latest approved firmware for its specific configuration. When I pressed them for what specifically was wrong with my configuration they refused to tell me. I even asked them if it was due to being an MCU1 car, and they ignored the question. Th

Exactly what I was going to ask Bartecus to confirm, software version? If true that you (like me) are stuck on 2020.48.?? (.36) it would drive the nail further into the coffin that as momo3605 said…..Tesla has for the most part ignored MCU1 cars in the FSD beta. I have asked two Tesla service centers multiple questions about the MCU1 cars. I haven’t been able to get any confirmation that Tesla is doing anything to allow MCU1 cars to take part in the FSD beta.

Upvote 0
Exactly what I was going to ask Bartecus to confirm, software version? If true that you (like me) are stuck on 2020.48.?? (.36) it would drive the nail further into the coffin that as momo3605 said…..Tesla has for the most part ignored MCU1 cars in the FSD beta. I have asked two Tesla service centers multiple questions about the MCU1 cars. I haven’t been able to get any confirmation that Tesla is doing anything to allow MCU1 cars to take part in the FSD beta.
Sorry, I should have stated that. Specifically 2020.48.37.6

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have stated that. Specifically 2020.48.37.6
So, it looks like we are in the same boat. MCU1 W/FSD and nobody wants to answer any questions about the status of our cars as it relates to the FSD beta. I can understand that there are way more MCU2 cars than ours. That doesn’t change the fact that we paid for FSD (I paid 4+ yrs ago) & shouldn’t be ignored in the FSD beta. If Tesla is doing something for our cars to be included I can’t imagine they wouldn’t pass that info onto to SC. They had to know that this question would be asked a lot at the SC. So, the fact that Tesla hasn’t given info to the SC saying they are working on these (& estimated time frame) makes me doubt they are. I could be and hope I am wrong on this. The fact that I have asked more than one SC add that to your questions, with similar responses (nothing). it Just doesn’t make me feel to good. Next Step? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Upvote 0
I am In a similar situation to you PEEBS. I live in the west Chicago suburbs and have not received the FSD button on my 2017 100D model X. I haven’t had any issues with my FSD up to this point. Tesla upgraded my computer this summer. I have no clue why the car hasn’t received the button? I went into the app and it says my car has all the software upgrades, current version (2020.48.37.6), strange. Good luck with figuring out this problem.
Any luck yet? My 2017 Model S 75D was upgraded with the FSD computer months ago but no FSD button update yet.

Upvote 0
I am In a similar situation to you PEEBS. I live in the west Chicago suburbs and have not received the FSD button on my 2017 100D model X. I haven’t had any issues with my FSD up to this point. Tesla upgraded my computer this summer. I have no clue why the car hasn’t received the button? I went into the app and it says my car has all the software upgrades, current version (2020.48.37.6), strange. Good luck with figuring out this problem.
Did you happen to figure this out? I also have a '17 Model X. Tesla in Westmont said I have the most recent software and the upgraded computer/hardware...but no button on the vehicle and no safety score in the app. They basically said they don't know, wait and see.

I'm a cheerleader for Tesla but the lack of communication is extremely frustrating. People that paid $10k years ago should at least be given an answer as to why certain vehicles aren't getting it.

Upvote 0
Did you happen to figure this out? I also have a '17 Model X. Tesla in Westmont said I have the most recent software and the upgraded computer/hardware...but no button on the vehicle and no safety score in the app. They basically said they don't know, wait and see.

I'm a cheerleader for Tesla but the lack of communication is extremely frustrating. People that paid $10k years ago should at least be given an answer as to why certain vehicles aren't getting it.
Nothing new from what I have found. Well. I did see one thing that was interesting. I am trying to find an article I read online so I can post a link here. It mentioned that an attorney was looking at a possible class action lawsuit on behalf of owners of older Tesla cars with the MCU1 setups. They didn’t give a lot of info just that Tesla needs to do the right thing for all owners who paid for FSD.

I’m still getting the run around from the local service centers that say they don’t know anything about FSD & MCU1 cars.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Autopilot features require some initial calibration, which the car does when you drive it. If your system was somehow accidentally reset, then it will require recalibration. IIRC, Autopilot becomes available before Navigate on Autopilot, so it's conceivable that the FSD Beta "button" would take longer to appear, too. If so, driving some more should make it available. When I had my FSD computer upgraded a few months ago, I had to go through this recalibration process, and I seem to recall there being a progress bar buried somewhere in one of the menus, so you might go looking for that.
It’s at the top of the autopilot screen. I found it a little hard to find at first.
I am not getting the FSD Beta button on my 2021 Model 3 w/FSD package after receiving the 2021.32.22 update. Initially after updating, the release notes said only that there were bug fixes, and various Autopilot features were disabled with a note that they are not available in my region (I’m in the Chicago suburbs). They had worked fine before the update. I drove around a bit and the Autopilot features came back, but still no FSD beta button. I did a power off under Safety and Security, and now the release notes describe the FSD beta button, but it still does not appear in the Autopilot menu. I scheduled service but the first available date is a week out.

I never got the beta FSD offer -button (9/24/21 roll out) -no driver test option, in Sept the Tesla article & service person said everyone w/paid FSD would get offer, they said I will get it once my old software (.103) updates, now I got the wrong update .36, service said .36 isnt eligible for beta Fsd offer said my 70K w/10k Fsd tesla isnt compatible I am soo upset -Tesla lies - so my 10K new

Upvote 0