Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

Did you already have a VIN assigned and put the hold afterwards or did you put the hold even before your VIN was assigned?
VIN wasn't assigned... EDD was 11/10-11/24. My SA told me if I turn down a VIN and get assigned another one (which could occur at any time) and turn that one down as well, then my order will be cancelled. I emailed tesla and asked them to hold my order til Jan. I have a car... no real rush to get my MYP.

Upvote 0
I won't be able to provide any feedback on that now since I put the hold before the VIN was assigned. Fingers crossed that I will not be placed at the very end of the queue when I am ending the hold on 12/31.
I’m waiting until the end of the week to decide on a hold. I’m thinking some progress has to be made on a final bill this week.

Who knows. I may be answering the question myself as I figure a vin isn’t too far in my future.

Upvote 0
facepalm gifv2.gif

Upvote 0
Too many people trying to sneak their own fluff into the spending bill. They keep trying to include the infrastructure bill into the 1.75T spending bill vote which many have voiced against it on both sides of the aisle. Manchin said he was ready to vote on the infrastructure bill but not both. This could pass it this week if they stopped trying to lump them together.

Reactions: h2ofun
Upvote 0
Whelp I guess my watch has ended. I had placed order on hold about 2 weeks ago until December 31. That is what the website said but just got this email this morning.

Price has gone up by $4,150 since I ordered so will just be releasing the hold on Nov 15 and roll the dice.

1635866909191.png

Upvote 0
Whelp I guess my watch has ended. I had placed order on hold about 2 weeks ago until December 31. That is what the website said but just got this email this morning.

Price has gone up by $4,150 since I ordered so will just be releasing the hold on Nov 15 and roll the dice.

View attachment 728497
Very interesting. Looks like Tesla is going more the punitive route to ensure people take delivery of their vehicles before 31 Dec.

Upvote 0
Too many people trying to sneak their own fluff into the spending bill. They keep trying to include the infrastructure bill into the 1.75T spending bill vote which many have voiced against it on both sides of the aisle. Manchin said he was ready to vote on the infrastructure bill but not both. This could pass it this week if they stopped trying to lump them together.
I expect the Democrats will keep them together. They've realized that separation made the chances of passing worse as it removed the infrastructure pork incentive.

Upvote 0

View attachment 728497
Did you have a VIN? I’m guessing so with a order date of 7/12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

View attachment 728497

So when you check your order online you see the below but you still got the above email?

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0