Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Headlight black spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates?
I had the driver side headlight replaced last week. Unfortunately it didn’t take care of all the problem. However, there is 15-20% less shadow because it’s at a different spot now.

So either the entire batch of current lights have these defects. I doubt those who say this is a defect of matrix headlights as I’ve driven MYP w the matrix lights earlier last year and they were perfect. So who knows if enough people bring this up Tesla will look into it.

I had the driver side headlight replaced last week. Unfortunately it didn’t take care of all the problem. However, there is 15-20% less shadow because it’s at a different spot now.

So either the entire batch of current lights have these defects. I doubt those who say this is a defect of matrix headlights as I’ve driven MYP w the matrix lights earlier last year and they were perfect. So who knows if enough people bring this up Tesla will look into it.
It's not a defect, its a design flaw.

I can't decide which one is worse - a defect or design flaw.....
Sometimes I wonder if a Designer/Engineer looks at their finished product in person before releasing it to production. Wouldn't you power up the light and see how it looks(from a driver's POV) before approving it for mass production? 🤷‍♂️
@opasenBG Plenty of times the engineers are saying the product isn't ready when higher ups make the call to build/ship it. (I'm making a broad statement there, not calling out Tesla in particular.)

I've no idea if this issue is design flaw or manufacturing flaw. I haven't noticed such large light gaps with my October 2021 Fremont built M3P headlights, so I am leaning towards a manufacturing issue (even if it's affecting 100% of current production). I do see the faint grid pattern but it doesn't bother me, the lights are still WORLDS BETTER than the headlights on our Model S.

I'll look more closely for this issue and maybe snap a picture next time I take the M3P out on properly dark roads though. I don't think I would've missed this, but maybe...

Last edited:
It's not a defect, its a design flaw.

I had this 2021 model Y P last April and the light patterns were perfect. I would rate it a 10/10 vs 9.5/10 for the older reflector on my 2018 model 3 and a buddy’s MY at the time. Fast forward to present day and I would rate my current 2022 MY as 8/10. If it’s a design flaw why wasn’t there earlier?

And just to be clear it’s not the small notches you see on the wall when the car is park right in front of a wall. I’m talking about the light pattern on the road 40-60ft in front of the car. The 2021 model YP above had the small notch on the wall, but you don’t notice them 50ft in front of you.

2021 MYP here. I also have the dead spots in my light pattern. Doesn’t bug me too bad, but I swear my left (driver side) headlight is shooting too much to the side. Any time I drove people would flash their lights at me, so I made an appointment at the service center to get the lights adjusted. I was told sometimes the cars get delivered without the headlights being set…. Cool. Get the car back, go for a drive at night and I can only see about 12 ft infront of me; they pretty much just pointed them as low as they could go (still saw the dead spots ha). Found a wall on a flat parking lot and adjusted them myself, and they are much better. But it still seems like it’s pointed way too much into oncoming traffic, can’t adjust side to side so whatever I guess.

This seems to be the newest thread about this topic so I'm adding my experience.

I just got my Model 3 back from service today and this was one of the concerns I brought up. It is my second time bringing it up with Tesla and both times they've said it is normal. The problem with mine is, the dark spots are not symmetrical at all. The right side aims much more inward. So when driving at night it kind of feels like you're not driving straight. It's extremely noticeable at night, but I was only able to get a good photo of it when it was really foggy.

Holding camera directly in middle of dash aiming forward:

20220115_193036.jpg

How it looks against a garage. You can clearly see the right side dark spot is off-center:

door.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do next, but it doesn't seem like something that should be normal.

This seems to be the newest thread about this topic so I'm adding my experience.

I just got my Model 3 back from service today and this was one of the concerns I brought up. It is my second time bringing it up with Tesla and both times they've said it is normal. The problem with mine is, the dark spots are not symmetrical at all. The right side aims much more inward. So when driving at night it kind of feels like you're not driving straight. It's extremely noticeable at night, but I was only able to get a good photo of it when it was really foggy.

Holding camera directly in middle of dash aiming forward:

View attachment 782599

How it looks against a garage. You can clearly see the right side dark spot is off-center:

View attachment 782598

Not sure what I'm going to do next, but it doesn't seem like something that should be normal.
Chiming in with a 2022 Model S. Same pattern as your Y. Must be intentional, but… why?

Attachments

• AA68B1BB-84C4-4618-AA6F-ABD7AFD24816.jpeg
    AA68B1BB-84C4-4618-AA6F-ABD7AFD24816.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 74
Brought it up at a service and was told it was the normal pattern for the matrix lights and no solution offered. This after I waited 6 weeks to get new Matrix headlight in. Not clear that there is much to do.
That’s correct. All of them exhibit this. Why is anyone’s guess. If you put the brights on it fills in those dark spots so it’s possible Tesla could fix this with a software update.

I've noticed the same dark spot on the left(driver's) side as pictured above on my 22 Model 3(picked up less than a month ago). I will ask the SC during my appointment for a trunk alignment issue today and report back with what they say to that.
Just talked to the service for the same ploblem with my 2021 M3 and was told the matrix lights come like that , there is no issue with the lights at all.

Reactions: opasenBG
Just talked to the service for the same ploblem with my 2021 M3 and was told the matrix lights come like that , there is no issue with the lights at all.
Agreed. Must be for some legislative reason. Same on Lucids…

Agreed. Must be for some legislative reason. Same on Lucids…

Wow, that dark spot is probably worse as its huge. You could lose sight of a lot in that unlit area. These led lights in general leave a bit to be desired.