Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure. But what about all that electricity that's being used to preheat the car. My AM commute is fairly short. Seems like preheating for 30 minutes (that's longer than it takes to get to work) would significantly decrease the efficiency of my commute.

I doubt it will take 30 minutes to pre heat the car cabin to a comfortable temperature..... but nothing I or anyone else says will convince anyone who hasnt experienced this for themselves. You will find out when you get your car and try it.

/shrug

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Which is probably why Tesla recommends pre-heating the car while connected to the charger in the morning, improving efficiency.

Tim

That doesn't improve efficiency, at least not significantly, it just switches the energy draw from the battery to your household meter. Instead of just heating the wheel, you have to heat the entire car. That requires more energy. It doesn't matter where the power comes from (battery or outlet), you still have to pay for it!

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I doubt it will take 30 minutes to pre heat the car cabin to a comfortable temperature..... but nothing I or anyone else says will convince anyone who hasnt experienced this for themselves. You will find out when you get your car and try it.

/shrug

I thought the 30 minute recommendation was straight from Tesla? My point was simply that pre-heating the car is an expensive alternative to a simple heated steering wheel that you can get for next to nothing on just about any other make.

I thought the 30 minute recommendation was straight from Tesla?

You might be talking about for warming the battery, if you are trying to get to a supercharger to take full charge rates or something. If there is a 30 minute recommendation for warming the cabin, I havent seen one (doesnt mean it doesnt exist), but my experience with my own car says there is no way it would take anywhere near 30 minutes to change the cabin temperature to an acceptable level.

In my case its cooling rather than warming, usually, but in the summer my car can be > 140 degrees and it takes about 7-10 minutes of pre conditioning to get to around 70 degrees. There is no chance that it would take 30 minutes to change the cabin temperature of a model 3 to 70 degrees, even if its freezing outside.

That doesn't improve efficiency, at least not significantly, it just switches the energy draw from the battery to your household meter. Instead of just heating the wheel, you have to heat the entire car. That requires more energy. It doesn't matter where the power comes from (battery or outlet), you still have to pay for it!

I get what you are saying. I’m getting a Tesla for the tech and benefits of the electric drivetrain (performance wise), never gave much thought about energy savings, so I missed your point. Makes sense now!

Tim

I get what you are saying. I’m getting a Tesla for the tech and benefits of the electric drivetrain (performance wise), never gave much thought about energy savings, so I missed your point. Makes sense now!

Tim

Truthfully, me too! I'd just like it to have it a heated steering wheel. If it doesn't, I'll pre-heat like everyone suggests and won't even worry about it. But in a cold environment, it's really nice to hold on to that warm steering wheel!

If the heated steering wheel cones vis an update for us early 2021 Model 3 people, I hope it’s soon. Summer will be here and boom! It’ll drop.
Given how Tesla rolls things out (with the headlights and taillight changes for example), I'm not optimistic it's a universal software update away for all the 2021s.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to check the outside hardware of the steering wheel to see any differences that might hint at having a heated steering wheel. I don't particularly need it either way, but just would be curious if my 2021 has it also.

Given how Tesla rolls things out (with the headlights and taillight changes for example), I'm not optimistic it's a universal software update away for all the 2021s.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to check the outside hardware of the steering wheel to see any differences that might hint at having a heated steering wheel. I don't particularly need it either way, but just would be curious if my 2021 has it also.

Seeing they just updated the steering wheels, from one with plastic rollers and a seam, to a steering wheel with metal rolls and is seamless, which is the same aesthetically as the one shown having the heated steering, it would make zero sense that the first 10k off the line were not able to be heated, and now the rest on are. Headlights are arent a great example, as they are totally different, and it makes sense for Tesla to use their old stock up, as well as the taillight. The 2021 steering wheels are the same though. Also, The "off the line" heated steering wheels coming with older, non publically released firmware gives a lot of hope as well. Once those vehicles with that burner FW updates to a public one, and a 2021 from December has it as well, then we will truly know and will either be extremely happy, or looking for a retro fit.

Reactions: Phlier and TBrownTX
Seeing they just updated the steering wheels, from one with plastic rollers and a seam, to a steering wheel with metal rolls and is seamless, which is the same aesthetically as the one shown having the heated steering, it would make zero sense that the first 10k off the line were not able to be heated, and now the rest on are. Headlights are arent a great example, as they are totally different, and it makes sense for Tesla to use their old stock up, as well as the taillight. The 2021 steering wheels are the same though.
Well I remember someone link to a teardown done back in mid December of the early 2021 wheels (with metal scroll wheel) when the heated steering wheel was leaked in the software. There was no noticeable difference in the wiring harness with the 2020.
Is there a heating element inside updated (2021) steering wheel?

From same thread someone said they tore down their own car delivered at end of 2020 and also no sign of heated steering.

I don't think it's safe to assume there is no mid-point revision (tesla is famous for multiple revisions of a part).
Also, The "off the line" heated steering wheels coming with older, non publically released firmware gives a lot of hope as well. Once those vehicles with that burner FW updates to a public one, and a 2021 from December has it as well, then we will truly know and will either be extremely happy, or looking for a retro fit.

Last edited:
162D275E-EAFA-434F-AE2E-493463A2786E.jpeg
Well I remember someone link to a teardown done back in mid December of the early 2021 wheels (with metal scroll wheel) when the heated steering wheel was leaked in the software. There was no noticeable difference in the wiring harness with the 2020.

From same thread someone said they tore down their own car delivered at end of 2020 and also no sign of heated steering.

I don't think it's safe to assume there is no mid-point revision (tesla is famous for multiple revisions of a part).

there was also a tear down on the Model Y on YT done by a friend of the poster. They didn’t see anything new either, and claimed it was the “new wheel”. It was the old style steering wheel. Note the seems on the wheel in the screen shot, as the steering wheel that’s heated is seamless.

I’ll lose hope when the off the line vehicles are running a public firmware, the same as I am, and I don’t have the feature. Until then, we all shall see!