Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3 MIC - how should the powered boot behaviour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really stupid question, I'm.sure the answer is simple.

I find the boot doesn't open far enough, there's a few more cms of swing left once the power boot has powered open. I thought it was possible to "reset" the opening position by setting the boot opening to the position you want, press the button to close and the boot would remember the previous position...well, no, just opens to where it opened before...

Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:

I find the boot doesn't open far enough, there's a few more cms of swing left once the power boot has powered open. I thought it was possible to "reset" the opening position by setting the boot opening to the position you want, press the button to close and the boot would remember the previous position...well, no, just opens to where it opened before...

Once the boot is at the open position you want, press and hold the button until it confirms. Then it’ll open to there in future.

How noisy is the boot meant to be by the way? I didn't really notice it the first couple days but now that the novelty has died slightly, i'm realising that the boot is shutting with quite a loud thunk.

Just don't know if that's normal or not?

How noisy is the boot meant to be by the way? I didn't really notice it the first couple days but now that the novelty has died slightly, i'm realising that the boot is shutting with quite a loud thunk.

Just don't know if that's normal or not?
Is yours a Fremont car of one of the Shanghai cars? I think I remember a YouTube video made an observation that there was a difference between the two with the Fremont car being noticeably louder.

Is yours a Fremont car of one of the Shanghai cars? I think I remember a YouTube video made an observation that there was a difference between the two with the Fremont car being noticeably louder.

Its a MIC - so yeah....I can't blame it on that.

Eventually i'll have to get a ranger out to adjust my back door handles (only noticed yesterday they are in slightly) so I'll get them to listen and see if its normal or not probably.

Mine is the same, even after resetting there is a few more cms of movement to be pushed manually before fully open. Annoying as it's those last few cms which would stop me banging my head. I've reset it after manually forcing to 'most open' position and it still does it. I asked the service centre about it and they weren't sure, said they would check with other cars but then got distracted by the real issue it was in for so I don't know anymore than that.

Thank you.
Ok so once again forgot all about this and just went to check. Short answer, no.

When its open, the rams are at their maximum extension and the boot lid just shifts about a bit on its hinges.

I do however remember when I first picked the car up and the boot only opened about 3/4 of the way, so I pushed it all the way and held the button down until it beeped. Was the same process as my previous Rav 4 so I didn't even realise what I was doing to be honest.

Since then its been opening all the way just fine.

Ok so once again forgot all about this and just went to check. Short answer, no.

When its open, the rams are at their maximum extension and the boot lid just shifts about a bit on its hinges.

I do however remember when I first picked the car up and the boot only opened about 3/4 of the way, so I pushed it all the way and held the button down until it beeped. Was the same process as my previous Rav 4 so I didn't even realise what I was doing to be honest.

Since then its been opening all the way just fine.
Thanks for checking. The rams have a little tiny way still to go on mine (a 2021 version Fremont car delivered Q4 2020) I think, a little more than just rocking on the hinges.

Did you resolve this? My 2021 M3LR delivered Q4 2020 has the exact same issue and resetting the boot height does not fix it. I would estimate there's maybe 1.5-2in of travel which is not extended by the power boot.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has this issue and whether I should be reporting to SC please?