Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light show - boot doesn’t open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve had a play with the new light show silliness on my March MiC M3 and discovered the boot doesn’t open and flap along. At the point where it should, the boot unlocks and opens about an inch, then gives up and closes.

If I press the button, the boot does open normally and I’m not aware of any issues. I’ve had the SC have a look at it previously due to it appearing to close a little quickly, but they said it was fine.

So, does the light show failure hint at an underlying issue with the powered boot, or is it just one of those things?

Reactions: hcdavis3
So, does the light show failure hint at an underlying issue with the powered boot, or is it just one of those things?
I think the boot is fundamentally under powered which is why it slams shut on a lot of vehicles and people have different experiences depending on usage and temperature.

I did the light show twice in succession yesterday, the first time it didn’t open and the second time it did.

I’ve had a play with the new light show silliness on my March MiC M3 and discovered the boot doesn’t open and flap along. At the point where it should, the boot unlocks and opens about an inch, then gives up and closes.

If I press the button, the boot does open normally and I’m not aware of any issues. I’ve had the SC have a look at it previously due to it appearing to close a little quickly, but they said it was fine.

I read elsewhere that if you’ve adjusted the tailgate from factory settings (height, speed, closing force), then it won’t work as expected.

Same problem as you, does not open without a nudge. Ones nudged open it does the wave. However it does not automatically close at end.

I had mine aligned a bit at Tesla ones it was new and when I got it back from them the "soft close" at the end never came back. So I am pretty sure its related to that and alignment.

Same problem as you, does not open without a nudge. Ones nudged open it does the wave. However it does not automatically close at end.

I had mine aligned a bit at Tesla ones it was new and when I got it back from them the "soft close" at the end never came back. So I am pretty sure its related to that and alignment.
Mine hasn't been touched since new and does close at the end but only a nudge gets it to open

When I first got the car, it would close with the cinch motor, however at some point it just started closing without cinching. I couldn’t work out what caused the change and Tesla tell me it’s fine, however come to think of it it might have changed behaviour when I adjusted the opening height.

Mine is a July built MiC M3 and my boot has never been touched away from default, is the exact same though you can here it unlock then nothing and just locks itself again. The boot does function perfectly normally however and never been an issue so very strange

I suspect it’s just one of those things. If the boot works in every other respect, i.e. opening and closing when you use it, then perhaps it’s not worth losing too much sleep over.

I imagine this light show has created some new headaches for Tesla service centres now!