Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 5-8 weeks an accurate estimate for NJ? I have an order in for an M3, but I'm in the position where my old car was totaled last week, and I have to return my rental car this Tuesday. I have to figure out what to do about a car in the mean time if I have to wait it out for 1-2 months. I was going to pick up something from local inventory, but all M3 SR+ are gone in our area.
They may have some inventory of the old M3s at your location, so I would recommend contacting your local Tesla rep, but if you need the car ASAP then you wouldn't be probably able to get the M3 refresh, which is supposed to be released in the US in mid Nov.

So do we think the headlight changes and heated steering wheel are in this refresh?
I know there has been a lot of buzz around the 3 refresh. Someone else got an email from the Tesla store and the sales rep provided them with a list of all of the updates. I know a lot have already been documented, but here goes:

Interior Upgrades:
  • Sill plates are now satin black to match the exterior trim
  • Seat controls have a graphite finish and the scroll wheels on the steering wheel are metalized
  • The sun visors magnetically snap into place
  • Matte black replaces gloss black throughout the interior including the door release and window buttons
  • Redesigned center console featuring fixed inductive charging mats for two smartphones wrapped in luxurious micro suede
  • Updated front compartment with a sliding lid similar to in S and X
  • Two high-powered USB-C ports in the front compartment
  • Added a fifth USB port to Model 3, located in the glove compartment
  • Model Y heat pump added to Model 3
Exterior Upgrades:
  • Side repeaters, door handles, and bright work surrounding the windows have gone from chrome to satin black
  • The new 18” aero and 19” sport wheels have sharper edges
  • Model 3 Performance now sits on 20” Uberturbine wheel
  • Power lift gate
Hi, This list doesn't confirm the double pane glass ?

There is a guy in a different EV facebook group that says he works for a supplier that supplies interior door panels to Tesla. He says a new design is not going into production until after the first of the year for the 3 and that the Y will follow.

Its a random guy on facebook so take that for what it is, but seems like more changes will come as the year progresses. Perhaps we will see a dark headliner at that time.
Then why Tesla updated the websites now and offer the refreshed M3 with the delivery in 5-9 weeks?

@verygreen is hinting that there's something else:

@GreenTheOnly: there's more than meets the eye. remind me in a week?

@pranavkodali: Any reason you can't tell us yet?

@GreenTheOnly: there's no firm reason but just on the off chance it's an important surprise element for next week, I'll hold off until then.

And this:

@ElonMusk: Starting production on 7 seater next month, initial deliveries early December

@GreenTheOnly: how about detailing all the other changes? ;)

@DesertTesla: Now that the cat is outta the hat what else is coming green?

@GreenTheOnly: it's not really out yet.

Why would the heat pump even matter when calculating epa range? They don't calculate it with the heat or A/C on or in cold climates.

Maybe the range increase is wheel and tire related. If it wasn't then we would see similar range for LR dual motor and performance. It's also possible they figured out how to reduce overnight parasitic drain since the original ratings. I can tell you my car goes to sleep much faster now.

How Does The EPA Calculate Electric Car Range?

The Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Why would the heat pump even matter when calculating epa range? They don't calculate it with the heat or A/C on or in cold climates.

Maybe the range increase is wheel and tire related. If it wasn't then we would see similar range for LR dual motor and performance. It's also possible they figured out how to reduce overnight parasitic drain since the original ratings. I can tell you my car goes to sleep much faster now.

How Does The EPA Calculate Electric Car Range?

The Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

But the EPA 5-cycle testing does involve A/C use and cold weather testing: Detailed Test Information

EPA 5-cycle.png

EPA AC.png

Sorry I said that wrong. They don't test it with the heat on. I said AC. Doesn't the heat pump only benefit when you use heat?

No, because the car is more efficient at handling heating/cooling with the heat pump and Octovalve. Not to mention they will use the heat pump to heat the battery when it is cold instead of using the motors less efficiently. So even if you aren't using the heat, the car still is.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
No, because the car is more efficient at handling heating/cooling with the heat pump and Octovalve. Not to mention they will use the heat pump to heat the battery when it is cold instead of using the motors less efficiently. So even if you aren't using the heat, the car still is.

Possible. But then why is the LR getting a 30 mile range increase but the performance a 16?

Maybe because the wheels/tires are less efficient? (All of the efficiency gains are not from the heat pump.)

Yea guess we will see. Those performance wheels do look good though. I'd take the range loss.
The sport wheels look pretty bad now.

The SR+ might not be an epa rating. When you click on the sr+ the "epa" drops off and it just says estimated.