Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems really important! In theory that's nearly a 4% boost and could indicate that as @AlanSubie4Life theorized maybe there's another range increase that could happen down the line as Tesla unlocks or recognizes that battery capacity.

It’ll be interesting to see how they manage this in the US. As we know, nominally they have not increased available capacity for US in EPA testing yet. Except perhaps for Performance vehicle where they may be pushing it slightly to get higher range). Anyway we will see.

Reactions: Zoomit
Just went to the Seattle showroom for a test drive and they had the refresh version in all black and it looked great! A couple of observations:
  • The power lift gate is really quiet
  • The new aero covers look better than the old ones IMO
  • The center console looks pretty good but it is a little less functional. The slide cover mechanism is smooth but smaller than the old cubby and it’s hard to access the front area under the phone tray.
  • The steering wheel felt a little thicker(?) and more rubbery than my 6/18 (real leather before transition to vegan) steering wheel.
  • The steering wheel has no seams that run across the front like my old one
  • New metal steering wheel scroll wheels felt more solid
Side note: I was there to test drive a Model Y and it was 69XXX vin that also had the new laminated front windows. I have to be honest, I couldn’t tell any difference in sound on the highway with them or in city traffic. I have used a DB meter with my current model 3 during my many soundproofing efforts and I was getting the same readings in the model Y with the new windows. I did however notice a decrease in wind noise but I haven’t compared that to a newer but pre-laminated window M3 for comparison. My early VIN M3 has a lot of wind noise.
View attachment 606766 View attachment 606767 View attachment 606768 View attachment 606769 View attachment 606770

I’m heading to Bell Square on Wednesday I wonder if they’ll have the refreshed version as well.

That seems really important! In theory that's nearly a 4% boost and could indicate that as @AlanSubie4Life theorized maybe there's another range increase that could happen down the line as Tesla unlocks or recognizes that battery capacity.
You got that wrong, it was actually me who said there must be 4% increase in capacity to above 80kWh a while back and Alan and a bunch of others trying to rebute that (without success)
New M3 battery in parts catalogue?

From Germany registration papers. Battery capacity increased from 79 to 82 kWh (total capacity, not usable capacity). Not sure if this has been mentioned already.
Do you have the german link with the papers?

I'm seeing it in a few videos, but does it no longer come with the floating tray in the armrest storage?
I asked my rep to confirm the addition of the heat pump before I ordered, and he sent me a complete listing of changes. To my surprise he specifically listed the coin tray is now an optional accessory.

• new power liftgate on trunk alike to Model Y
  • Satin Black chrome delete like the Model Y
  • seat controls on the side of the seat have a graphite finish (think space gray borders instead of a regular black plastic piece
  • the steering wheel buttons are now metallic looking and not flat black
  • sun visors are now magnetic like the Model Y visors
  • center console now has a fixed wireless charging area that is now grippy alcantara
  • center console had a Model S/X like slider that opens to more storage and 2 USB-C ports
  • the traditional center console where the armrest is now does not come with the coin tray (it is now an item to buy online)
  • the glovebox now has a USB A port for sentry mode storage
  • Heat Pump is confirmed
  • new wheels across the board give the Model 3 aero wheel a sharper edge, 19" wheels are now more akin to the Model S in that it is more aerodynamic and flatter

it was actually me who said there must be 4% increase in capacity to above 80kWh a while back and Alan and a bunch of others trying to rebute that (without success)

Please show me a post where I said the capacity did not and would not increase. (You won’t be able to find one, since it’s quite likely that at some point in the future the available capacity WILL increase.).

To save you the trouble:

it is possible to add *nearly* 30 rated miles in the US with no change in battery capacity!

I expect the EPA documents to show about 79.5kWh available from the battery

(Indeed, the document showed less than 79kWh for the Model 3 AWD - which is either random variation or a small intentional capacity lockout for future unlock.)

I would also not be shocked to see a small increase, though I don't expect it

There may be more unlocked capacity on the Performance, or it could be random variation. We’ll know soon.

I'm actually evolving to the thinking that these Model 3s COULD have increased cell capacity available. I don't know what sort of volume they're pushing on that line yet. Maybe they'll only introduce it mid-year. But if they package the new batteries in the cars now, they could do the following:

1) Leave it locked out for now (still 79.5kWh from EPA discharge)
2) Run 5-cycle, get better results, and scale the prior EPA results by ~0.75/0.7. That would take them to 345rmi (AWD) / 356rmi (P, 18") (Prior P got 332 rated miles on EPA test), minimum (assuming no inherent efficiency improvements, which seems unlikely).
3) Later on in 2021, they unlock the additional 3-4kWh capacity and up the EPA results to: ~370 rated miles (or slightly higher). I would assume this would be retroactive to all the cars that have the new batteries.

So:

All I have said was that an increase in capacity was not necessary to get 353-mile EPA range (which has now been shown to be correct).

As I have said multiple times before, if they increase capacity by 4%, we’ll have an AWD with about ~365-370 EPA mile range.

Last edited:
I asked my rep to confirm the addition of the heat pump before I ordered, and he sent me a complete listing of changes. To my surprise he specifically listed the coin tray is now an optional accessory.

• new power liftgate on trunk alike to Model Y
  • Satin Black chrome delete like the Model Y
  • seat controls on the side of the seat have a graphite finish (think space gray borders instead of a regular black plastic piece
  • the steering wheel buttons are now metallic looking and not flat black
  • sun visors are now magnetic like the Model Y visors
  • center console now has a fixed wireless charging area that is now grippy alcantara
  • center console had a Model S/X like slider that opens to more storage and 2 USB-C ports
  • the traditional center console where the armrest is now does not come with the coin tray (it is now an item to buy online)
  • the glovebox now has a USB A port for sentry mode storage
  • Heat Pump is confirmed
  • new wheels across the board give the Model 3 aero wheel a sharper edge, 19" wheels are now more akin to the Model S in that it is more aerodynamic and flatter
Why did they not list the laminated glass? In terms of everyday driving, mitigating cabin noise in the refresh is the most welcome and material update as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone heard anything of an updated hitch cover? Any kind of an improvement would be great because it really sucks.
Please show me a post where I said the capacity did not and would not increase. (You won’t be able to find one, since it’s quite likely that at some point in the future the available capacity WILL increase.).

To save you the trouble:

(Indeed, the document showed less than 79kWh for the Model 3 AWD - which is either random variation or a small intentional capacity lockout for future unlock.)

There may be more unlocked capacity on the Performance, or it could be random variation. We’ll know soon.

So:

All I have said was that an increase in capacity was not necessary to get 353-mile EPA range (which has now been shown to be correct).

As I have said multiple times before, if they increase capacity by 4%, we’ll have an AWD with about ~365-370 EPA mile range.

So if the range is not increased due to the updated battery, how is it justified?