Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems as though Tesla only started adding the bigger battery packs recently. After it already started building the refresh models. Maybe they had left over batteries they had to use. End of 20th of October seems to be the break day. At least this is what the german papers are suggesting. Would be interesting to see any October builds with SMT data.

Maybe this explains why the EPA had an AWD with 77 and P with 82kWh . Maybe they used different packs.

Maybe this explains why the EPA had an AWD with 77 and P with 82kWh . Maybe they used different packs.

It was 78.6kWh (slightly lower than 2020) and 80.8kWh (1.3kWh more than 2020). But yes, this is a possibility, as has been mentioned already. The 2021 Model Y P also had a high energy result.

Pack Data for Model 3 & Model Y

But I would expect that at some point soon (if not already), all Y/3 vehicles will get denser packs.

I guess if someone takes pictures of the pack part numbers on the cars (relatively easily done AFAIK) then we could figure out which car has what?

It appears Tesla has updated their specification for the 19” Continental ProContact RX tire sold on the “Stiletto Refresh” (aka Sport) wheels. The new T1 spec is showing up in the EPC.

4CF3F1D4-01AA-4E93-A5BE-F273AB767706.jpeg

As previously noted, the 18” tire spec was also updated. (Thread: New T1 Primacy MXM4 tire)

More than just the wheel sensors, the 433 MHz has 4 receivers, one in each wheel well. And all of the wiring to all of the receivers they can skip. Using Bluetooth they can use the built in Bluetooth modem and skip the receivers and wiring.

Seems unlikely to total out to $200 in savings. I am skeptical. I could see...waiting for 3rd part BLE vendors to catch up and lower costs. And then long term, cost will be lower.

Wonder how long the batteries last in the sensors and whether they are replaceable? That would (arguably) make them cost-effective. Also better for the environment.

Seems unlikely to total out to $200 in savings. I am skeptical. I could see...waiting for 3rd part BLE vendors to catch up and lower costs. And then long term, cost will be lower.

Wonder how long the batteries last in the sensors and whether they are replaceable? That would (arguably) make them cost-effective. Also better for the environment.
Of course not, they aren't selling them for the price they are buying them. They are marking up, like everything and everyone else does selling original parts. Do you know the price for original 433 MHz TPMS from the service center? They are actually the same as the BLE.

But it is a simpler system, not needing wiring and a receiver in each well. Must be cheaper or else they wouldn't bother going over to BLE at all.

DBB80A27-83F8-4DEF-A470-27C85935614C.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Of course not, they aren't selling them for the price they are buying them. They are marking up, like everything and everyone else does selling original parts. Do you know the price for original 433 MHz TPMS from the service center? They are actually the same as the BLE.

But it is a simpler system, not needing wiring and a receiver in each well. Must be cheaper or else they wouldn't bother going over to BLE at all.

View attachment 607450

Well, hopefully third parties will step up soon. Tesla’s part pricing is weird. Highway robbery for TPMS, nice and cheap for 12V.

I am asking for your speculation and best guesses:

Do we think that any additional changes to the model 3 will be released/implemented within the next 6 months?

or

Do we think that what we all know now will remain constant for the immediate future?

edit: should have specified, related to hardware or physical changes. Not OTA software updates

Last edited:

Do we think that any additional changes to the model 3 will be released/implemented within the next 6 months?

or

Do we think that what we all know now will remain constant for the immediate future?

For hardware, No and Yes.

But then again OTA software update keeps coming. My 2 year old Model 3 has more features than when I first got it, and more features now than 6 months ago.

Reactions: Protect1989

or

As far as relevant hardware components that can't be affected by OTA updates or easily purchased and put on by most owners; probably not. Maybe some new stuff by the end of 2021 again.