Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 heater not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I just traded my 2018 M3 for a 2021 Model 3 performance last week. I am having issues with my heater. It doesn’t work. Is this a new issue? I never had issues with my 2018 but I know they changed something on the 2021 heat pump? I have an appointment late this week but wondered if anyone has come across this yet?

While I understand how heat pumps work, the system in the 3 and Y are very complex and include a bunch of routing of cooling/heating lines to allow for cooling or heating of the battery, motors, and cabin. Its all tied together with the new "octovalve" that routes the refrigerant to wherever it needs to go depending on which system needs cooling or heating at that particular time as well as where to take the heat energy from.

Hopefully its nothing serious. Please report back when you find out.

Can you put it camp mode?

When I first picked mine up I had no heat just like you and received an error message “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault.” It turned out to only be an ambient air sensor not plugged in from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi everyone. I just traded my 2018 M3 for a 2021 Model 3 performance last week. I am having issues with my heater. It doesn’t work. Is this a new issue? I never had issues with my 2018 but I know they changed something on the 2021 heat pump? I have an appointment late this week but wondered if anyone has come across this yet?
I live in Cali and haven’t had to try the heat but read about the issue and it blows hot in the back vent but not at all in the front. In fact when I go to auto and it goes to that screen that shows direction of front vent, when I get to the higher numbers it just shuts off that screen. So I don’t need it but it definitely does not work.

Also, all my pieces line up on the body but I just noticed one side of my trunk doesn’t quite match the other by a noticeable half inch, maybe more. Obviously I’m gonna say something about the heat but what about the body?

First Tesla. Sure do love it though.

I live in Cali and haven’t had to try the heat but read about the issue and it blows hot in the back vent but not at all in the front. In fact when I go to auto and it goes to that screen that shows direction of front vent, when I get to the higher numbers it just shuts off that screen. So I don’t need it but it definitely does not work.

Also, all my pieces line up on the body but I just noticed one side of my trunk doesn’t quite match the other by a noticeable half inch, maybe more. Obviously I’m gonna say something about the heat but what about the body?

First Tesla. Sure do love it though.
Thanks, great info. Seems like anyone doing the delivery pickup these days should test the heat!

Reactions: 95gator
Thanks, great info. Seems like anyone doing the delivery pickup these days should test the heat!
Every part of me said bring my mechanic and body shop guy with me to pick it up. I have a threshold in wiling to deal with. The heat not working is a non starter, I’m on the fence about the trunk. I mean what do they do with that kind of stuff?

Must admit, I probably shouldn’t be having read a little but was so excited to receive it, I just didn’t see the gap in the trunk and didn’t think to try the heat. Too many other things to try. Lol.

But in all seriousness, usually when I buy a new car, I like the panels to be flush. Could it just be they never were and I didn’t notice?

Also, my sales person told me they would have FSD rolled out by the end of this month and it’s not so is should I expect to wait 2 years for it because I paid 10k for it. Why would they jump the price if it wasn’t about to be dropping? Love the car but a bit befuddled.

Every part of me said bring my mechanic and body shop guy with me to pick it up. I have a threshold in wiling to deal with. The heat not working is a non starter, I’m on the fence about the trunk. I mean what do they do with that kind of stuff?

Must admit, I probably shouldn’t be having read a little but was so excited to receive it, I just didn’t see the gap in the trunk and didn’t think to try the heat. Too many other things to try. Lol.

But in all seriousness, usually when I buy a new car, I like the panels to be flush. Could it just be they never were and I didn’t notice?

Also, my sales person told me they would have FSD rolled out by the end of this month and it’s not so is should I expect to wait 2 years for it because I paid 10k for it. Why would they jump the price if it wasn’t about to be dropping? Love the car but a bit befuddled.

1. Panel gaps. Yes you’re probably over-analyzing, especially if you have been reading online because the reports of Tesla panel gap issues are greatly exaggerated and lead to FIA. That doesn’t mean yours aren’t out of line, just that the general issue is exaggerated. My understanding is they can adjust the trunk and other panels for you at the Service Center, just make an appointment. I wouldn’t know as my fit and finish were flawless upon delivery (Oct 2018). Maybe have a trusted friend look at them with you to help you determine if the issue is real or more FIA.
2. The heat issue. None of us know how widespread this is right now, could affect a small number of cars or all of them. As you said, it doesn’t really impact you but best to have it looked at and fixed under warranty so it doesn’t hurt your eventual resale value. Perhaps combine the appointment with your panel gap adjustment.
3. FSD. I did not purchase and won’t until it actually works really, really well. Yes that will cost me more money (eventually) but I still think Tesla is years away from a really solid, reliable FSD product. They are making good progress and the current beta on city streets looks amazeballs. IMO you have a long wait ahead of you before you can plug in an address and the car drives you there while you do something else (Nap, read, etc).
4. The car. Still for me, this is the best car I have ever owned by a wide margin. That’s after 2+ years and over 99k miles. Had a Lexus ES in the past, wife currently has a Volvo S60, and neither of those or anything else I’ve ever driven can compare.