Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 LR USB drive kept being un-recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the exact same issue, and I was just going to ask about it here. If I unplug and replug the Tesla-supplied USB drive it will work again for a while. My next step is to try another USB drive.

Just for fun, what else do you have plugged in the other front USB ports (center console)? They provide very little power, 1A max each, and I see many people plugging power-hungry things in there. Try a day or two withint anything else plugged in there and see if it helps.

Just for fun, what else do you have plugged in the other front USB ports (center console)? They provide very little power, 1A max each, and I see many people plugging power-hungry things in there. Try a day or two withint anything else plugged in there and see if it helps.

Nothing for me because my technologies have been very.... old.... my model 3 doesn't have any usb A ports other than the one occupied by the USB drive for dashcam.

Hum, that's interesting. I've seen issues with my XBox One at startup when too many power-hungry devices were plugged in (SSD, headset) . I had to unplug my ssd, let it boot, and plug it later. In my opinion, an ssd draws too much power for the 1A of the front USB plugs, at least on a 2018-2020 model. I don't know if they changed the max power output on the USB C ones. I also know that a lot of people recommend an ssd, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea power-wise. PRobably works better for people that have a usb hub that shares power from both ports...
Now that doesn't help the OP since it'S a "Tesla" usb thumb drive and I believe that consumes less power. I know my car sleeps often and never has sentry issues with my Sandisk usb stick.

• Informative
Reactions: Nomad_in_US
Hum, that's interesting. I've seen issues with my XBox One at startup when too many power-hungry devices were plugged in (SSD, headset) . I had to unplug my ssd, let it boot, and plug it later. In my opinion, an ssd draws too much power for the 1A of the front USB plugs, at least on a 2018-2020 model. I don't know if they changed the max power output on the USB C ones. I also know that a lot of people recommend an ssd, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea power-wise. PRobably works better for people that have a usb hub that shares power from both ports...
Now that doesn't help the OP since it'S a "Tesla" usb thumb drive and I believe that consumes less power. I know my car sleeps often and never has sentry issues with my Sandisk usb stick.

Yeah. What annoys me is that a Tesla approved usb drive doesn't work properly when you get a $50k car..... If it were a $5k car, I am okay with this...

I have the same result with another drive. It’s weird though, as the dash cam icon appears, but doesn’t show the red dot. It will work if I unplug and replug, but after stopping the car and starting again it’s just gray. The manual says that means recording is paused. I can tap it and review video from when it was working, but according to the manual I should be able to tap it and get the red dot to resume recording.

Have you tried another drive?

I have the same result with another drive. It’s weird though, as the dash cam icon appears, but doesn’t show the red dot. It will work if I unplug and replug, but after stopping the car and starting again it’s just gray. The manual says that means recording is paused. I can tap it and review video from when it was working, but according to the manual I should be able to tap it and get the red dot to resume recording.

If you get the dashcam icon, but with a grey dot instead of red, sometimes if you press and hold the icon for a second or two it'll turn red.

Have you tried another drive?

If you get the dashcam icon, but with a grey dot instead of red, sometimes if you press and hold the icon for a second or two it'll turn red.

I'm going to try one more drive today, and then a micro sd card in a reader, with which some people seem to have had success.

I have tried to press and hold on the gray "paused" icon, but it doesn't do anything. According to the manual, it's tap when paused to start, and press and hold when recording to pause. Additionally, tap when recording to save.

However, the manual hasn't been updated to reflect the latest software, so maybe they've changed something.

I haven't read the manual concerning this, not sure what it says. I don't think there was anything in the manual for a while. What happens about 75% of the time I reinsert my cleaned up ssd for teslacam use is that the icon has the grey indicator - I then press and hold that icon until it "flashes", it then gets the red indicator. (by the way I've been using the same sandisk extreme ssd for over 2 years with no issues)

However, the manual hasn't been updated to reflect the latest software, so maybe they've changed something.
It's still the same thing: touch to turn on, and to record last 10 minutes when on. And hold to turn dash-cam recording off, and to remove USB stick. If dash-cam doesn't turn on, there's an issue with the USB stick.

Now, I read that when car shuts off, and shuts dash-cam recording off, it generates an 'error' message somewhere (probably hidden, if not visible). And over time, those error messages cause issues. The solution? Erase everything every once in a while, and we shouldn't have issues. I guess the best way to do that is to re-format the stick every once in a while, which erases everything. If there's any footage you want to preserve, just copy it into your computer first. I had issues initially as well, with Sentry not recording anything. Formatted the stick with the car, and no issues so far.

Finally, I was under the impression that there always was a ONE HOUR footage on the stick, with the last portion getting over-written by new footage. But that is NOT the case, at least in my car. Every time the car gets shut down, the footage is erased, and it starts from scratch. So if you need something saved, you have to click on the icon to record the last 10 minutes before shutting off the car, or you'd lose the footage. Hope this helps somebody.

I'm currently using a micro SD card in a USB reader, and have had some luck, but I'm still not 100% sure it's working right. I may also just not understand how it's supposed to work.

I guess my main question would be: should the red dot be on the dash cam icon when driving?

When I initially get into the car, and it's in park, the sentry mode and dash cam icon are gray. If I tap the sentry mode icon, both the sentry mode and dash cam icons get a red dot. Next, when I put the car into reverse, the sentry mode icon disappears, and the dash cam icon red dot goes away.

I just went for a drive, put it in park, then tapped the dash cam icon and the "save" option was available. I hit that, then I entered the viewer and was able to see the saved footage.

Does that sound correct? Do I have to tap the sentry mode icon before every drive to start recording the dash cam? Tapping the dash cam icon itself, doesn't do anything except open the menu. It seems odd that I have to tap sentry to start the dash cam, and that I have to do it every time I start a drive.

Do you mean deep sleep or power off?
I don't know, but when I use the car again, nothing is there, except the few seconds before I clicked on the viewer. But it's a good question.

The dashcam red button always turns ON automatically on my car, meaning it's ready to record, or recording. The sentry red button is not on, because I don't have it in auto mode. But if I touch it, it turns red, and records (if needed).