Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model 3 Standard Range Plus - 990 or 980 Motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla just cobbled a whole bunch of extra parts into this LFP car. Oh we got some extra batteries from Europe and China... Now motors, we got some extra 980s...

Wonder what else is different? Wonder if the rear deck has speakers like the past :D

Confirmed my 2021 LFP SR+ has a 980.
I will tell you this about adding the ingenext module to the 2021, it is not a easy task.
Far different than the pre 2019 models. I have the bonus module off my 2018 Performance which will work on any model and does not
vin code when plugged in. I tried to install on my new 2021 and its no joke. The space up in there is so tightly cramped its nearly impossible to get the new modules plugged in. You would almost have to remove the pass seat and attempt to lay down to try and make it work.
I gave up and just figured id wait until the boost 50 comes out for the LFP folks instead of having to do this task twice.

Confirmed my 2021 LFP SR+ has a 980.
I will tell you this about adding the ingenext module to the 2021, it is not a easy task.
Far different than the pre 2019 models. I have the bonus module off my 2018 Performance which will work on any model and does not
vin code when plugged in. I tried to install on my new 2021 and its no joke. The space up in there is so tightly cramped its nearly impossible to get the new modules plugged in. You would almost have to remove the pass seat and attempt to lay down to try and make it work.
I gave up and just figured id wait until the boost 50 comes out for the LFP folks instead of having to do this task twice.
You think maybe Tesla will give all the sr+ an acceleration boost come V11 or paid upgrade ?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Sadly 990 just got an update…they cannot and will not be working to that effect.
Only hope is Tesla decides to charge for a boost option one day. There is now no 4.x second M3. Either 3.1, 3.9 or 5.6.
Isn’t the SR+ 5.3? I’ve got a late 2020(Picked up a year ago to the day or close to……) and mine is a 990 motor as well. I’ll take a look at my MYSR and see if it’s a 980 or 990.

Nevermind, I see you’re from Canada and you guys do 0-62, rather than 0-60…

Last edited:
Isn’t the SR+ 5.3? I’ve got a late 2020(Picked up a year ago to the day or close to……) and mine is a 990 motor as well. I’ll take a look at my MYSR and see if it’s a 980 or 990.

Nevermind, I see you’re from Canada and you guys do 0-62, rather than 0-60…
It’s 5.3 but I was getting 5.0-5.1 pretty consistently and now after dropping 7lbs each corner and lowering the suspension I’m consistently getting 4.8-4.85 0-60 on my 2021 sr+