Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gifntext-gif (1).gif

Just curious how many with problems would have still bought this car knowing what you know now?
Seem almost overwhelming.
I have a 2019 performance 3. It’s been almost a perfect car.
100% would do it again. I came from a BMW M540 and would take my new LR all day long. For sure, a couple of bugs and issues but this is a 100% redesign including the chip swap and code rewrite in the car done as a pivot during the chip shortage. I have a loaner 2015 70D and don't like the steering wheel and four stalks surrounding it to control everything and it rides like a tank compared to the LR. A ton of road noise. This is my personal opinion and experience and as an EE by profession, I appreciate that great things need time to be perfected and I am (so far) happy with how the SC is working on fixing everything. Overall, the car was 98% and the juice was worth the squeeze.....

I like those buttons--easier to get to when you already have stuff I the back.
I brought this up in my last service visit and their story is that Tesla intentionally made the seats not go down automatically all the way because people were previously getting hit by the seats as they went down. Hmm, not sure of the explanation but that's what I was told.
My S has been at the service center since last Friday for the front passenger safety restraint error code and the yoke buzz. Originally estimated to be completed today but now extended another two days to Thursday. Good news is that they're trying hard to properly fix the two issues. Bad news is that they're probably having a hard time finding the root cause...

I brought this up in my last service visit and their story is that Tesla intentionally made the seats not go down automatically all the way because people were previously getting hit by the seats as they went down. Hmm, not sure of the explanation but that's what I was told.
My S has been at the service center since last Friday for the front passenger safety restraint error code and the yoke buzz. Originally estimated to be completed today but now extended another two days to Thursday. Good news is that they're trying hard to properly fix the two issues. Bad news is that they're probably having a hard time finding the root cause...
Calling BS on this ^^^ one. There high volume, best seller, Model Y has seats that auto fold and in fact also tilt for passenger comfort. The premium Plaid lacks both creature comforts.

9AB93472-7DFD-4E13-9E2A-C189A9FC6D5B.jpeg
6807AB57-9564-47C0-B0D2-58512A6229A2.jpeg
Anyone have the issue where the middle of the passenger wiper arm bumps the hood when the wipers tuck in and out of their resting position?

It sits pretty high on the windshield as well.

Service appointment scheduled to “adjust” it, but I’m not sure you can actually adjust this part short of physically bending the arm or raising the hood a smidgen?

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja and impastu
View attachment 731118View attachment 731117Anyone have the issue where the middle of the passenger wiper arm bumps the hood when the wipers tuck in and out of their resting position?

It sits pretty high on the windshield as well.

Service appointment scheduled to “adjust” it, but I’m not sure you can actually adjust this part short of physically bending the arm or raising the hood a smidgen?
I have ~ 3/8" of clearance between high spot on the arm and the edge of the hood.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and tbaud
My wife has a Volvo. When she got it I was working through features and touched the rear seat release. The headrests are spring loaded and yes she said it hurt. From where I was I have to agree it looked painful.

What about a MSLR vs a 3?
I’m going from 3 performance to the new LR. From everything I’ve seen it’s definitely worth the step up if it’s built properly. I have a little over a month left to wait after a July 02 order (EDD Dec 11 - Dec 31)

Basically it all comes down to which ex-taco bell employee they have on the line the day my car is built though.

I have ~ 3/8" of clearance between high spot on the arm and the edge of the hood.
Can you post a picture?

Out of curiosity I noticed they had adjusted the hood on the passenger side closer to the body and overshot a little bit (rear passenger side of hood was too low), bolts had been turned and touch up paint reapplied…

So I cracked them myself with my father in law and we raised the rear passenger side about 1/16”.

Now the wiper arm only sorta lightly “taps” the hood in that spot maybe 1 out of 10 times.

Edit:

Here is my clearance now after adjusting hood. It’s a little over 1/16”:

8341A1B9-1FD5-4E68-BEDB-CDC0BC812168.jpeg
270C6CAD-7399-4CA1-9000-53D955FE0FB9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu
First Service visit.
Issues
1. Rear door handles do not present fully. Problem. The light is barely visible at night.
2. Charge port does not work with charge handle button.
3. Center console door won’t stay open. I think my kid pulled on it but can’t prove it.
4. Rear driver side window had a crack.

Round trip to service center 5 hours. Two trips 10 hours.
Initial appointment 2 months ago. Just got in Monday.
And it went something like this. Told it would be ready tomorrow at 7:00 am for pickup.

1. Left at 4:30 am to take car and not miss work. Arrived at Rochester Monday at 6:45 am. No traffic.
2. Car sat in parking lot all day Monday nothing done. Promised repeatedly it would not be left outside overnight. Complete lie.
3. Car sat all morning and still nothing.
4. Around 1:30 I notice doors open and rear open.
5. Originally pushed off appointment as “door handles parts weren’t in”
6. Finally call me at 4:45 and here we go

Crack in rear driver window was just glue. My bad.
Excuses:
Charge port.
“Had to test charge port and needs a part we don’t have”. Explained I made it clear and the service manager agreed was not functioning and would have parts available. Truth we did nothing, tested it at last minute and will have to send out technician with parts.
Door handles.
Was told the handles were not in yet so this is why appointment kept getting pushed out. Had car for two days. “Compared it to another model s plaid and it’s the same”. Have the example of my mom telling me just because mike did it doesn’t make it right that you did it. 10 more minutes of total bull. . and not going to fix door handles.
Center console.
“Had to swap out entire center console and it’s pretty difficult”. My response. The doors were open for an hour are you kidding me.

In the end 10 hours of driving and I have a center console that opens and closes correctly.
I heard the excuses and lies from tesla were terrible but now I can personally verify the rumors are true.

First Service visit.
Issues
1. Rear door handles do not present fully. Problem. The light is barely visible at night.
2. Charge port does not work with charge handle button.
3. Center console door won’t stay open. I think my kid pulled on it but can’t prove it.
4. Rear driver side window had a crack.

Round trip to service center 5 hours. Two trips 10 hours.
Initial appointment 2 months ago. Just got in Monday.
And it went something like this. Told it would be ready tomorrow at 7:00 am for pickup.

1. Left at 4:30 am to take car and not miss work. Arrived at Rochester Monday at 6:45 am. No traffic.
2. Car sat in parking lot all day Monday nothing done. Promised repeatedly it would not be left outside overnight. Complete lie.
3. Car sat all morning and still nothing.
4. Around 1:30 I notice doors open and rear open.
5. Originally pushed off appointment as “door handles parts weren’t in”
6. Finally call me at 4:45 and here we go

Crack in rear driver window was just glue. My bad.
Excuses:
Charge port.
“Had to test charge port and needs a part we don’t have”. Explained I made it clear and the service manager agreed was not functioning and would have parts available. Truth we did nothing, tested it at last minute and will have to send out technician with parts.
Door handles.
Was told the handles were not in yet so this is why appointment kept getting pushed out. Had car for two days. “Compared it to another model s plaid and it’s the same”. Have the example of my mom telling me just because mike did it doesn’t make it right that you did it. 10 more minutes of total bull. . and not going to fix door handles.
Center console.
“Had to swap out entire center console and it’s pretty difficult”. My response. The doors were open for an hour are you kidding me.

In the end 10 hours of driving and I have a center console that opens and closes correctly.
I heard the excuses and lies from tesla were terrible but now I can personally verify the rumors are true.
Yuck. What a mess. I had some similar issues. The charge port issue for me still isn't resolved. You'll probably find it will open when you point the charger at the rear window, and I had the whole rear tail light replaced to no avail. Just today they've ordered a "charge port assembly" which is... different parts.

I completely sympathize/empathize. Tesla's service needs work.

Can't they just change the door handles to present further? What needs to be replaced? My previous Model S door handles were recessed too far in at their closing state - mobile service "reseated" them (best I can describe) and it was flush. I would assume that would also fix the length at which they presented too.

Can't they just change the door handles to present further? What needs to be replaced? My previous Model S door handles were recessed too far in at their closing state - mobile service "reseated" them (best I can describe) and it was flush. I would assume that would also fix the length at which they presented too.

My rear passenger is a tad recessed. It's honestly not worth trying to fix it. Honestly, if Tesla's goal is to exhaust us all to the point where we just give up complaining about the issues, - well, they're doing pretty well with me. I'm just tired at this point.

My rear passenger is a tad recessed. It's honestly not worth trying to fix it. Honestly, if Tesla's goal is to exhaust us all to the point where we just give up complaining about the issues, - well, they're doing pretty well with me. I'm just tired at this point.

Totally agree that there is a warranty fight fatigue. We bought an X for my wife last December. Probably have had 8 mobile service appointments and 4 SC visits for a variety of things. 11 months in she’s not comfortable with the grinding and rattling sounds coming from the front drive. Another SC visit coming up next week, but she’s encouraging me to trade it in for my plaid b/c she just doesn’t trust the reliability long term. Not going to fight an uphill battle here otherwise it becomes my fault that she still has the X that will likely keep presenting quality issues if not outright reliability issues. She doesn’t understand why I want to take delivery of another Tesla…that’s a whole other conversation.

Yep. The buttons in the trunk are utterly pointless. If you’re still going to have to lean in to push the seats down you might as well just push the damn buttons on the back of the seat!

Pretty much guaranteed this gets addressed in a mid-model refresh etc.
Not pointless. You put seats done for long/large objects? Push the buttons in trunk, slide in objects and use them to push seats down. Beats going to back row or stretching to reach buttons on back of seat.

Would they be better with auto/power fold? No question.

See mike analogy. If they all work like sh. . then they are according to spec.

• Disagree
Reactions: tbaud