Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. That’s normal. It’s funny that Tesla’s flagship S trunk is so ugly sounding. If you listen to a Taycan trunk closing it’s so quiet you barely notice it. The S? It’s like the world is ending when it closes/latches at the end.
The Taycan is not a hatchback. That makes a big difference. Next time you close the hatch of your Model S, roll the windows down first. You’ll notice how the lack of air pressure from the cabin allows the lid to close much more easily and quietly.

I did try that. No difference at all.
Possible the cinch actuator is engaged by a limit switch or load sensor in the actuator. Air pressure in the cabin loads it up.

Like an uplock or downlock on aircraft landing gear, very common approach.

Long shot, but try screwing in the hatch bumpers about three turns, taking careful note of original position.

Possible the cinch actuator is engaged by a limit switch or load sensor in the actuator. Air pressure in the cabin loads it up.

Like an uplock or downlock on aircraft landing gear, very common approach.

Long shot, but try screwing in the hatch bumpers about three turns, taking careful note of original position.
Tried all that (you know, to get the hatch to even align on the refreshed rear end). No difference whatsoever. I challenge anyone to prove there's any difference with windows open or closed. 😅

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Tried all that (you know, to get the hatch to even align on the refreshed rear end). No difference whatsoever. I challenge anyone to prove there's any difference with windows open or closed. 😅
My car is on 2023.3.12 - I verified @aerodyne's trunk latch behavior. My car does not activate the cinch mechanism if the windows are open.

My car is on 2023.3.12 - I verified @aerodyne's trunk latch behavior. My car does not activate the cinch mechanism if the windows are open.
Right. That must be a new change, then, - I wonder if for mechanical longevity. I won't know for a bit since I'm on FSD beta which is some weeks behind... For those on prior firmwares, the challenge remains. Doubt there's any difference between windows open and closed.

Last edited:
Challenge accepted!

Windows closed:
Windows open:
Yes, that’s the new software update, right? I’m referring to pre-2023 software update.

Thanks for the videos, though! It’s interesting that nearly 2 years after release, Tesla appears to have made this change. Should I assume it behaves the same as windows open when you just open a door?

Does your car have the emergency trunk release, in case you are trapped in the trunk?

I noticed in the User manual that it no longer says the trunk has one for model S and X 2021+ and Y. The frunk has one.

I thought all cars had to have an interior emergency trunk release?
Maybe because it is a hatchback it doesn't need one. (You can always just go into the passenger compartment and use one of the doors there.)

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and Dan D.
Does your car have the emergency trunk release, in case you are trapped in the trunk?

I noticed in the User manual that it no longer says the trunk has one for model S and X 2021+ and Y. The frunk has one.

I thought all cars had to have an interior emergency trunk release?
So, I had noticed this as well. I was about to file a defect report with NHTSB.

It seems Tesla has found a loophole for cars with a hatch that have fold down seats.

There is a requirement for a lighted emergency handle in conventional trunks and frunks. Model 3 complies.

There is a cable behind the hatch trim, but no way to access it with the hatch closed.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and Dan D.
Maybe because it is a hatchback it doesn't need one. (You can always just go into the passenger compartment and use one of the doors there.)
Well the Model S and X used to have an interior emergency trunk release. So they actively had to change the design to remove it. Many hatchbacks and SUV's do have the release lever even if they don't "have to by law".

Ok well good to know, if the 12/15V fails or a child is stuck under the cargo cover in the trunk you can't open the rear hatch manually on the newer S, X, and the Y.

It's not inconceivable that the seats could be jammed by cargo and the car has a hard cargo cover, in effect creating an "enclosed trunk". But ok. Tesla saves a few more dollars by not having an escape handle.

Last edited: