Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's all relative. Have both MS LR and a MB 560 S class with the Burmiester sound side by side in the garage. Why they are both there and how they fit is another story.

Both set for immersive sound and surround sound, tuned to the same station. I'd say the LR is at least 90% as good as the Benz.

Interesting to note that my '95 Acura stock 4 speaker system with maybe 100 W seems to be a lot louder, if only half as good.

Thanks to @WilliamG for the suggestion. I had the MS sound set to auto, which seems to default to junk. Who would have guessed it turns off speakers?

Note, greater than zero chance my hearing is shot, so your results may vary
I tried mine out and they may have changed that recently. When I first got my Plaid it really did seem like those small speakers weren't doing anything at all. But, this morning on auto and high immersive sound it was pretty clear they were working on both settings.

I tried mine out and they may have changed that recently. When I first got my Plaid it really did seem like those small speakers weren't doing anything at all. But, this morning on auto and high immersive sound it was pretty clear they were working on both settings.
It really depends on what the system determines it needs. I’m not even sure how it figures out when to turn the additional speakers on in Auto. All I know is this: give me all the speakers, all the time.

The sound in the new S is crap unless you have the immersive audio set to the highest level. Then it enables the rest of the speakers that aren't used (like the circular ones in the A pillars). At that point it sounds great, and miles better than any other Tesla ever released.
This is the way...

I played around with that and yes, set to high is where is sounds like a decent system. Auto the smaller speakers don't have audio or it's so low you can't tell..

Reactions: aerodyne
Indeed, like continuing to include their fundamentally broken Active Road Noise Reduction hardware/software. Ever notice how no review ever talks about it? Exactly.

But hey, let’s remove USS from these cars before the software is ready (or ever will be). 🤦🏻‍♂️
Don’t forget all the perpetually beta features, and I’m not even including FSD(j). No tilt retrofit for 2021 MS, even though most of the hardware is there… the list is long (and sad).

Reactions: aerodyne
To be fair to Tesla (*shudder...*), there was never any promise of a retrofit for the swiveling display ever promised to customers.
My comment was a continuation of my answer…

Indeed, like continuing to include their fundamentally broken Active Road Noise Reduction hardware/software. Ever notice how no review ever talks about it? Exactly.

But hey, let’s remove USS from these cars before the software is ready (or ever will be). 🤦🏻‍♂️
There are die-hards on this forum who *swear* ANC/ARC or whatever label Tesla slapped on it to prevent getting sued, works sooooooooo well.

It doesn’t do a god damned thing.

There are die-hards on this forum who *swear* ANC/ARC or whatever label Tesla slapped on it to prevent getting sued, works sooooooooo well.

It doesn’t do a god damned thing.

Yup, those people are 100% full of it. Every. Single. Plaid. - I've driven - it's non-functional or increases the noise in the cabin. I'll pretty much stake my life on the fact that it's flat-out broken.

Oh, and I'm still bitter that Tesla *enabled* the feature in the background of our cars before it was officially released as part of a software update. For months I was convinced something was wrong with my tires, - or something mechanical, since ARNR was enabled over the air without my permission, and I had no way to disable it since there was no toggle/official release of it at that point! Absolute travesty... Never occurred to me the noise was coming out of the speakers. Grrrr...

Last edited:
Yup, those people are 100% full of it. Every. Single. Plaid. - I've driven - it's non-functional or increases the noise in the cabin. I'll pretty much stake my life on the fact that it's flat-out broken.

Oh, and I'm still bitter that Tesla *enabled* the feature in the background of our cars before it was officially released as part of a software update. For months I was convinced something was wrong with my tires, - or something mechanical, since ARNR was enabled over the air without my permission, and I had no way to disable it since there was no toggle/official release of it at that point! Absolute travesty... Never occurred to me the noise was coming out of the speakers. Grrrr...
Junk

Reactions: WilliamG

So yes, it does something, just doesn’t cancel road noise effectively.

So yes, it does something, just doesn’t cancel road noise effectively.
Clearly does for me. Once in a while it messes up (it hasn’t for a while) and it’s annoying it has to calibrate on every drive. I can often tell when I’m driving along an it seems unusually noisy and I go and look and sure enough it’s calibrating. And it can’t finish a calibration if you have the music blasting. I turn the music down, it finishes calibration and poof you can hear the road noise cut down. Effectively.

It didn’t work for the first few months I owned my March 22 Refresh. Probably noticed it working around last summer. It’s not earth shattering but it works. I think I even recorded it and can hear it in the recording.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Clearly does for me. Once in a while it messes up (it hasn’t for a while) and it’s annoying it has to calibrate on every drive. I can often tell when I’m driving along an it seems unusually noisy and I go and look and sure enough it’s calibrating. And it can’t finish a calibration if you have the music blasting. I turn the music down, it finishes calibration and poof you can hear the road noise cut down. Effectively.

It didn’t work for the first few months I owned my March 22 Refresh. Probably noticed it working around last summer. It’s not earth shattering but it works. I think I even recorded it and can hear it in the recording.
1682666632377.jpeg

Reactions: glide and jebinc

I just turned it on again this morning just to see... Took several minutes to calibrate, windows up and music off. And then yep - introduced the droning sound through the speakers, so easy to hear when toggling on and off.

Junk.

@jebinc

Reactions: glide