Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else notice this guy has the illegal “nag defeat” weight on his steering wheel!!! SMH 🤦🏻‍♂️

I nagged him in a comment on his video. Do we need another example for NHTSA to investigate? The way he adjusts an equalizer suggests he is capable of poor judgement. He'll probably defeat my nagging by deleting my comment.

Hey all. Do you find that you have to have the charger plug much closer to the charge port on the S for the charger button to open the charge port? With the Model 3 the button press on the charger handle would activate the flap from quite a few inches away, certainly far enough that the flap doesn’t hit the charge cord as it opens.

I have to be almost touching the flap on the S for the charger button to open it, and have to quickly move my hand away so the flap doesn’t hit the charger. It’s now easier for me to just push the charge flap with my hand with my hand to open it this way…

I wonder if I’m just pointing the charger at the wrong place, too?

I’m guessing it’s just another way in which my car is broken, or course… Even the unlock credit cards don’t work consistently on my B pillar to lock/unlock the car as a backup to the phone. The Model 3 was 100% consistent. Every tap there would lock or unlock. It can take me 25 attempts on the S. Again, not sure if normal or if my car is just a tur…I mean special.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Hey all. Do you find that you have to have the charger plug much closer to the charge port on the S for the charger button to open the charge port? With the Model 3 the button press on the charger handle would activate the flap from quite a few inches away, certainly far enough that the flap doesn’t hit the charge cord as it opens.

I have to be almost touching the flap on the S for the charger button to open it, and have to quickly move my hand away so the flap doesn’t hit the charger. It’s now easier for me to just push the charge flap with my hand with my hand to open it this way…

I’m guessing it’s just another way in which my car is broken, or course… Even the unlock credit cards don’t work consistently on my B pillar to lock/unlock the car as a backup to the phone. The Model 3 was 100% consistent. Every tap there would lock or unlock. It can take me 25 attempts on the S. Again, not sure if normal or if my car is just a tur…I mean special.
My coworker had a similar issue on their Y. She had to hold the charger right up to the door, and the door would smack it. Service center fixed it and now it works from a nice distance (about finger to elbow length)

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
I know the headlights on the MS aren't as good as the M3/MY, but my MS is being serviced (hopefully they can address all the defects/issues from delivery), and they gave me an M3 loaner. The headlights are soooo much better on the M3 than the MS; they are much brighter and more evenly lit without the help of the fog lights. I have to turn on fog lights on my MS otherwise the passenger side seems to be much dimmer and the beam pattern are uneven and are pretty bad.

I assume these are normal with our new oldModelS headlights?

1630771687479.png

Interesting... That data isn't available in dynomode is it? Maybe I should leave the charger plugged in and see if it can balance things out...
If you are really curious, pick up one on of the tools like tesLAX or Scan My Tesla and the associated hardware and take a look at your battery--it should reveal pretty quickly if you have a module out of whack (which is what it sounds like). It will not get Service to move any more quickly, but at least you'll have some more data.

My guess is Service/Engineering can see the issue and are trying to figure out a fix short of swapping the entire pack.

I know the headlights on the MS aren't as good as the M3/MY, but my MS is being serviced (hopefully they can address all the defects/issues from delivery), and they gave me an M3 loaner. The headlights are soooo much better on the M3 than the MS; they are much brighter and more evenly lit without the help of the fog lights. I have to turn on fog lights on my MS otherwise the passenger side seems to be much dimmer and the beam pattern are uneven and are pretty bad.

I assume these are normal with our new oldModelS headlights?

View attachment 705140
Correct. The headlights on the S are crap, and the same, splotchy, uneven crap they’ve been installing for about 5 years now. Not in the same league of clarity or range as the Model 3’s headlights, which are exemplary.
If you are really curious, pick up one on of the tools like tesLAX or Scan My Tesla and the associated hardware and take a look at your battery--it should reveal pretty quickly if you have a module out of whack (which is what it sounds like). It will not get Service to move any more quickly, but at least you'll have some more data.

My guess is Service/Engineering can see the issue and are trying to figure out a fix short of swapping the entire pack.
Thank you. I’m just doing what they’re asking in regards to letting the car sit. They can do the rest of the work.

Last edited:
I’m losing 5-6 miles off my battery each 24 hours I don’t have the charger on. Sentry more is excluded at my home so it’s not drawing any power. Does this sound reasonable? Manual says leaving it at an airport it could lose 1% per day. Mine is a LR. Not a plaid but have 21” wheels.
Also I have taken a decimal meter into the car. Turned off radio and a/c to very low. On smooth surfaced roads going 50+ mph it measures around 65 to 68 decibels. On the freeway at 70 mph it measures around 70 decibels which was what my bmw I530e measured. I think that’s pretty good. Any thoughts on that?

Reactions: impastu
I’m losing 5-6 miles off my battery each 24 hours I don’t have the charger on. Sentry more is excluded at my home so it’s not drawing any power. Does this sound reasonable? Manual says leaving it at an airport it could lose 1% per day. Mine is a LR. Not a plaid but have 21” wheels.
Do you have any third-party logging services that are not allowing the car to go into a deep sleep? 5 - 6 miles is pretty decent / nominal, that is around 2% in a 24 hour period. If it can go into a deep sleep, you could get it to 0%, or maybe 2 or 3 miles (<1%).

Mine doesn’t work at all. Never has.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I can't reiterate enough what someone had mentioned earlier about if you have a problem that you can deal with, it might be best to live with it.

Went to service center twice, both times were not the best experience. Especially with such an expensive purchase.

I hear you. But there are just so many issues with my car, - it's like it's cursed!