Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model S Plaid last Thursday and picked it up from Austin on Monday 20th Sept. Drove from Austin to Dallas area without issues, drove around town on Tuesday and Wednesday, no issues. On Thursday AM, I noticed as I was backing out that the steering wheel was super stiff and brakes were very hard, all errors signs on the dash were lit with some degradation messages flashing all over the place. I was able to get the car to the Tesla Service Center around me and they couldn’t immediately figure out the root cause and still haven’t figured it out till today…. I’ll share an update here once is resolved and root cause communicated.
Sounds similar to this guy’s issue.

Reactions: impastu
I'd also like to know if the distortion is localized.
For me it's all over the windshield in ripple/wavy patterns

Here's the video again showing the ripples I'm experiencing all over (please excuse the music):

UPDATE ON THIS:

At first, my concern was that the front window tint from XPEL caused this distortion on my windshield. Today, I got the tint film removed and it unfortunately turns out it is actually the glass that is causing these distortions >_<

My question is, if Tesla does replace the windshield... is it worth breaking the factory seal of the windshield to get it replaced with a new one? I read somewhere on this forum that when they replace your windshield the seal will never be the same as factory. I think i'd rather deal with this distortion than potential wind noise... still annoying I have to even think or ask about this on a 100k+ car.

Reactions: impastu
UPDATE ON THIS:

At first, my concern was that the front window tint from XPEL caused this distortion on my windshield. Today, I got the tint film removed and it unfortunately turns out it is actually the glass that is causing these distortions >_<

My question is, if Tesla does replace the windshield... is it worth breaking the factory seal of the windshield to get it replaced with a new one? I read somewhere on this forum that when they replace your windshield the seal will never be the same as factory. I think i'd rather deal with this distortion than potential wind noise... still annoying I have to even think or ask about this on a 100k+ car.
Windshields get chipped and cracked all the time. Happened to our X, which is arguably a much more challenging windshield to replace. Tesla did the replacement within a day and we have no complaints at all.

Reactions: r3nd3r and cwanja
UPDATE ON THIS:

It is probably true that it will never be as good as the factory install but they have to be able to replace a windshield properly. Mine was replaced by the delivery center prior to delivery and has been perfect. I would replace it and not give it a second thought.

I cant find that picture what you guys are talking about.. Are you referring to the rattling noise coming from the back of the car when you go over bumps slow? I am so annoyed by it! Where exactly do I put this?
It's the rear seat latches. When you lower the rear seats, there is a loop of metal attached to the side of the car that the seat back clips into. That loop of metal is too small (of the hook on the seat is too large) and it rattles. Put a few wraps of painter's tape or something over the loop to take up the slop and not make it metal on metal. If you step back through this thread several pages there is a picture. I'll try to find it.

UPDATE: See this post:
#1,680

I cant find that picture what you guys are talking about.. Are you referring to the rattling noise coming from the back of the car when you go over bumps slow? I am so annoyed by it! Where exactly do I put this?

Here it is
Just got it this morning, downloading now. Release notes says it has the button. We’ll see soon enough

Just finished downloading and it’s there if I want it. Don’t know yet if I do. Not sure I’m cut out for it.

Attachments

• 27615BAA-FFA7-40D0-B188-277BE325C3D4.jpeg
    27615BAA-FFA7-40D0-B188-277BE325C3D4.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 103
  • Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Got this notification after last SW update. The usb is plugged in and sentry mode seems to be working fine. Have also unplugged and plugged it back in but alert still there.

Any thoughts?
I had trouble having the car recognize my usb stick also. I took out the usb let car
Turn off. Then back on. Kept
Playing with usb and powering on and off. After 3 days for no good reason it started working. I have no idea why.

Reactions: VM0412 and impastu
Looked through the thread and couldn’t find this:
So today was my PLAID delivery day. They were delivering my car about 200 miles to me from SC. my SA left this afternoon and at about 30 miles or so I would say got BMS error code displayed. He pulled over the car and did reset and called the service department. In the meanwhile, the error msg went away on reset but he was told to come back to SC so they can do a thorough diagnostics before delivering the car to me. On his way back, the code never appeared again and drove fine. Now I’m waiting on service to tell me what they find.
what do you guys think could be the issue??

Looked through the thread and couldn’t find this:
So today was my PLAID delivery day. They were delivering my car about 200 miles to me from SC. my SA left this afternoon and at about 30 miles or so I would say got BMS error code displayed. He pulled over the car and did reset and called the service department. In the meanwhile, the error msg went away on reset but he was told to come back to SC so they can do a thorough diagnostics before delivering the car to me. On his way back, the code never appeared again and drove fine. Now I’m waiting on service to tell me what they find.
what do you guys think could be the issue??
Could be the SA wanting to joy ride your plaid! Why in the hell would you let someone drive it to you? Flatbed, yes. Road miles, no!