Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least some of those free accounts no longer have access. I have been unable top access the TSBs for quite a while.
Weird, did your subscription expire and you didn't start a new, free, 1-year period?

They are listed under service documents: Tesla Service

1706653517387.png

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: MarcG and aerodyne
Weird, did your subscription expire and you didn't start a new, free, 1-year period?

They are listed under service documents: Tesla Service

View attachment 1013721
Mine has definitely expired. Unfortunately the only plans that I can select are definitely not free (Toolbox 3 plans).

"Past Subscriptions

May 20, 2022 07:40 UTC - May 20, 2023 07:40 UTC
Service and Repair Information"

I can see the listing on the link above but when I click one it says I don't have access. Any tips on renewing the free access?

Mine has definitely expired. Unfortunately the only plans that I can select are definitely not free (Toolbox 3 plans).

"Past Subscriptions

May 20, 2022 07:40 UTC - May 20, 2023 07:40 UTC
Service and Repair Information"

I can see the listing on the link above but when I click one it says I don't have access. Any tips on renewing the free access?
It looks to me like a subscription is no longer required for documentation.

I created an new account with a different email address and while the service home page says this:
1706654516003.png

I can just click on any of the documentation links below that, or on the model names at the top of the page, to see everything:

1706654555590.png

And the SB link I posted earlier works when logged in with the new account.

Reactions: aerodyne
Folks, I want to love this car. I really do. Would not want to go back to gas for sure! But I wanted to post my experiences over the my first 18 months and 18k miles of ownership. For reference, I have a 2022 Model S LR purchased brand new with 6 miles on the odometer at delivery. At some point, I've lived with you guys on this board through all these issues. I know I am not unique! However, I decided to post everything in one place. With the number of solid electric vehicles in the $80k-$100k on the market now, I could never imagine buying another Tesla after this experience and have no idea what to expect as this thing ages.

Here we go....

Annoying:
  • 9½ month delivery delay from date of order.
  • Car delivered in August with summer tires to a cold weather state. Needed to spend ~$1,600 to replace with all season tires (2) months after delivery. Summer tires are dangerous below 40 degrees and can fail.
  • ~30-40% less actual range than advertised.
  • 12 months after purchase, car was discounted new by ~$15k below my purchase price and resale value plummeted.
  • Spent $700 to replace yoke with round steering wheel that was not available at time of order that later became a free option.
  • (7) service appointments in the first (18) months of ownership.

Repairs:
  • Major engine (front drive unit) failure at (6) months old, ~9k miles that took a week to repair.
  • Car would not always turn off after exit, locking and walking away with key until opening and closing door several times. Service center determined the seat occupancy failed and was replaced. When I got the car back, one of the four bolts securing the driver’s seat to the floor was half tightened and the seat wobbled. I purchased a Torx Plus T45 bit and ½” rachet to secure the driver’s seat.

Build Quality:
  • Car delivered with missing bolts securing both front wheel well materials – Loud noises and loose frontend materials leaving the dealership. Took (3) weeks to get a service appointment to correct.
  • Loud rear seat rattles – Mostly fixed with a service appointment.
  • Several internal trim pieces continue to rattle, squeak and make noise.
  • Multiple panel gaps on exterior of the vehicle.
  • The trunk hatch was rubbing up against the top of the rubber seal when opening to full height creating a loud squealing noise – Mobile service adjusted the seal and fixed. About a month later, it started again. Rear hatch needed to be reinstalled.
  • The paint is very thin and chips easily.
  • “Worm” in both the yoke and new steering wheel airbag.
  • SiriusXM audio skips and buffers all the time more often than other vehicle.
  • Very few cup or travel mugs fit into the tiny width cupholders.
  • Several interior trim pieces have become loose – Fixed via service appointment:
    • Loose housing behind swivel screen
    • Loose rear headrests
    • Loose rear seat latches
    • Loose rear lower seat latches
  • Interior ambient light brightness is barely visible.
  • Loud wind whistling noise from rear of car at highway speeds – Service cannot locate.

Software Bugs:
  • Loud electric whining noise while parked with continuous battery discharge – Fixed after a month via software update.
  • Exterior loudspeaker randomly started blasting car audio in garage while parked and locked – Fixed after a month via software update.
  • Mobile app would not connect to vehicle – Fixed after a week via software update.
  • Inserted USB music stick would appear and disappear from user interface at random – Fixed after 3 months via software update.
  • Saved seat location in Tesla Cloud Profile would occasionally reverts to a different location – Fixed after 6 months via software update.
  • Blinker buttons would only activate 90% of the time when pressed – Fixed after 12 months via software update.
  • USB stick inserted for Dashcam/Sentry mode would show “USB Error” occasionally on dash and would not work until car restarted – Fixed after 12 months via software update.
  • Car radio slow to mute after answering an incoming phone call and caller would hear my music for several seconds before we could start talking – Fixed after 6 months via software update.
  • SiriusXM favorites do not scroll in order using steering wheel toggle like every other audio interface, instead they change the channel sequentially up or down by one (i.e. channel 2, channel 3, channel 4 etc. etc.) – Fixed after 12 months via software update. 3 months later, broken again by another software update. Still unfixed.
  • Auto wipers often default to the fastest setting during very light rain – Fixed after 18 months via software update.

Last edited:
My experience… guess I’m lucky (fingers crossed)

Order: Ordered in Aug 2022 and delivered in Oct 2022. Gray with Cream interior. Price dropped $15K after new year… oh well that sucks but I got a lot for my M3 that I sold day after delivery… so almost a wash. Car showed up with A/S tires and everything else as ordered online.

Build Quality: Hood seemed higher on one side/other… adjusted/twisted the little rubber doo dads and solved. No other gap/paint issues I could find. No color rub or wear on cream seats… my wife’s Range Rover also cream and easily has blue rub marks from jeans that need to be cleaned off every month. The material in Tesla is very durable.

Repairs: none yet (fingers crossed). Ceramic coated the car and no chips anywhere as of yet.

Bugs: none found… I thought the pedestrian buzzing sound worked driving forward as in reverse… but only notice it in reverse.

Driving Dynamics: took about 3 days to get used to the yoke. I still don’t like the horn button location but everything else is second nature now. Hopefully horn will be modified with hardware/software in near future now that 2024s have it. Car is quiet and smooth… did I mention fast? Still haven’t lost any drag races at a traffic light… priceless.

Mods: FormulaOne Pinnacle Ceramic Tint… looks awesome. Added high speed USB to glove box. Ceramic coat paint. Purchased mud flaps but decided not to install… detracted from clean lines… and like mentioned above no issues with paint chips like on my M3.

Reactions: iceman4014
Folks, I want to love this car. I really do. Would not want to go back to gas for sure! But I wanted to post my experiences over the my first 18 months and 18k miles of ownership. For reference, I have a 2022 Model S LR purchased brand new with 6 miles on the odometer at delivery. At some point, I've lived with you guys on this board through all these issues. I know I am not unique! However, I decided to post everything in one place. With the number of solid electric vehicles in the $80k-$100k on the market now, I could never imagine buying another Tesla after this experience and have no idea what to expect as this thing ages.

Here we go....

Annoying:
  • 9½ month delivery delay from date of order.
  • Car delivered in August with summer tires to a cold weather state. Needed to spend ~$1,600 to replace with all season tires (2) months after delivery. Summer tires are dangerous below 40 degrees and can fail.
  • ~30-40% less actual range than advertised.
  • 12 months after purchase, car was discounted new by ~$15k below my purchase price and resale value plummeted.
  • Spent $700 to replace yoke with round steering wheel that was not available at time of order that later became a free option.
  • (7) service appointments in the first (18) months of ownership.

Repairs:
  • Major engine (front drive unit) failure at (6) months old, ~9k miles that took a week to repair.
  • Car would not always turn off after exit, locking and walking away with key until opening and closing door several times. Service center determined the seat occupancy failed and was replaced. When I got the car back, one of the four bolts securing the driver’s seat to the floor was half tightened and the seat wobbled. I purchased a Torx Plus T45 bit and ½” rachet to secure the driver’s seat.

Build Quality:
  • Car delivered with missing bolts securing both front wheel well materials – Loud noises and loose frontend materials leaving the dealership. Took (3) weeks to get a service appointment to correct.
  • Loud rear seat rattles – Mostly fixed with a service appointment.
  • Several internal trim pieces continue to rattle, squeak and make noise.
  • Multiple panel gaps on exterior of the vehicle.
  • The trunk hatch was rubbing up against the top of the rubber seal when opening to full height creating a loud squealing noise – Mobile service adjusted the seal and fixed. About a month later, it started again. Rear hatch needed to be reinstalled.
  • The paint is very thin and chips easily.
  • “Worm” in both the yoke and new steering wheel airbag.
  • SiriusXM audio skips and buffers all the time more often than other vehicle.
  • Very few cup or travel mugs fit into the tiny width cupholders.
  • Several interior trim pieces have become loose – Fixed via service appointment:
    • Loose housing behind swivel screen
    • Loose rear headrests
    • Loose rear seat latches
    • Loose rear lower seat latches
  • Interior ambient light brightness is barely visible.
  • Loud wind whistling noise from rear of car at highway speeds – Service cannot locate.

Software Bugs:
  • Loud electric whining noise while parked with continuous battery discharge – Fixed after a month via software update.
  • Exterior loudspeaker randomly started blasting car audio in garage while parked and locked – Fixed after a month via software update.
  • Mobile app would not connect to vehicle – Fixed after a week via software update.
  • Inserted USB music stick would appear and disappear from user interface at random – Fixed after 3 months via software update.
  • Saved seat location in Tesla Cloud Profile would occasionally reverts to a different location – Fixed after 6 months via software update.
  • Blinker buttons would only activate 90% of the time when pressed – Fixed after 12 months via software update.
  • USB stick inserted for Dashcam/Sentry mode would show “USB Error” occasionally on dash and would not work until car restarted – Fixed after 12 months via software update.
  • Car radio slow to mute after answering an incoming phone call and caller would hear my music for several seconds before we could start talking – Fixed after 6 months via software update.
  • SiriusXM favorites do not scroll in order using steering wheel toggle like every other audio interface, instead they change the channel sequentially up or down by one (i.e. channel 2, channel 3, channel 4 etc. etc.) – Fixed after 12 months via software update. 3 months later, broken again by another software update. Still unfixed.
  • Auto wipers often default to the fastest setting during very light rain – Fixed after 18 months via software update.
Accurate. I went through 11 service appointments trying to fix my Plaid before I gave up and had them buy it back. For some reason I have a new one on order....

12k miles and 18 months on '22 LR

Biggest complaint is service which I avoid like the plague. 5 visits and they only broke things, then refused to come out because they thought I would lemon it.

Squawks are mainly creaks, rattles, and whines. I'm sure I can fix the rear seat rattle, and live with the others.

Lots of major (Loose airbag) and minor (Missing trim clips, paint and delivery damage) issues I fixed myself.

Regrets? Sure wish I had the lighter roof or a sunroof. Would like real ambient lighting. Hate the dark floor and headliner. Battery health started out great, but now only 390 miles RR and 92.6 Kwh. Price drop and depreciation was a real bummer.

Likes? AP3, USS, Performance, Efficiency (239 Wh/mi), UI, gaming, charge speed, and range such that I always keep it at 40-50% SoC.

Nothingburgers for me are plaid performance, "fsd", HW 4, cameras, and trim changes. I added the new letting and debadged the rear hatch.

If I had to do it again I would not accept the car with any defects, and never let Tesla touch my car.

You know what’s ironic about my experience? I’ve actually had pretty good experiences with service in Paramus, NJ. Equally as good as BMW previously. (although one slip up when they forgot to tighten the seat bolt).

At what point should I consider a buy back? NJ lemon law says 14 days out of service in first year would qualify. I’m currently at 10.

Most of my problems at this point are build quality.

Last edited:
You know what’s ironic about my experience? I’ve actually had pretty good experiences with service in Paramus, NJ. Equally as good as BMW previously. (although one slip up when they forgot to tighten the seat bolt).

At what point should I consider a buy back? NJ lemon law says 14 days out of service in first year would qualify. I’m currently at 10.

I think once you hit the requirements, start pushing Tesla to do it. They will buy it back as a "customer accommodation" without going the lemon law process if you follow up enough times. Presumably, they want to be able to resell your car as used instead of lemon branded.

Tesla Service and good experience are words that rarely pair, unless you are in a Tesla Desert.

SiriusXM audio skips and buffers all the time more often than other vehicle.
Most cars equipped with Sirius XM have an external "shark fin" antenna on the roof, Tesla doesn't use this so the received signal is weaker and more prone to dropouts in spotty areas. Had the same problem with my 2014 S85 and 2015 P85D in places where my other cars never had reception trouble.

Most cars equipped with Sirius XM have an external "shark fin" antenna on the roof, Tesla doesn't use this so the received signal is weaker and more prone to dropouts in spotty areas. Had the same problem with my 2014 S85 and 2015 P85D in places where my other cars never had reception trouble.
Agreed. I also read they do SXM over the Internet using LTE instead of via satellite. Cannot confirm this though. But it would explain the poor connection and constant drops as the car moves.

Agreed. I also read they do SXM over the Internet using LTE instead of via satellite. Cannot confirm this though. But it would explain the poor connection and constant drops as the car moves.
Possibly in the refresh S/X, but not in the originals. I recall driving under heavy tree cover and losing SXM, but streaming worked just fine in those places.

Satellite radio always seemed such crappy audio quality and now with the ease of streaming from the car and through your phone signal and phone storage I cant imagine why anyone would continue to use satellite radio. Wean yourself off cable tv and satellite radio — the alternatives are much better

Reactions: vcor
Satellite radio always seemed such crappy audio quality and now with the ease of streaming from the car and through your phone signal and phone storage I cant imagine why anyone would continue to use satellite radio. Wean yourself off cable tv and satellite radio — the alternatives are much better
If only the internet existed everywhere.

Reactions: bnsfengineer